WeldTec Spring Spacer install guide - 03-16 Chevy Express / GMC Savana 2WD

ynowgn

Chevy Express / GMC Savana WeldTec front spring spacer install guide

Step 1
Jack vehicle as high as safely possible (the higher you get, the easier to unload/reload the springs)
Step 2
Jack stands (you will need your jack to unload/reload the springs)
Step 3
Remove front wheels/tires
Step 4
Remove shock (3 bolts, 1 top, 2 under lower control arm)
Step 5
Remove sway bar mount (1 bolt under lower control arm)
Step 6
Place jack beneath lower control arm and raise to support control arm
Step 7
Remove brake line mounts (2 10mm bolts on upper control arm)
Step 8
Unplug ABS sensor (2 prong plug just above upper shock mount)
Step 9
Unclip ABS sensor harness (3 clips total, 1 above upper shock mount, 1 on upper control arm, 1 brake line mount near brake caliper)
Step 10
Unbolt and disconnect tie rod from knuckle (1 castle nut with cotter pin, use a large hammer on the side of the knuckle (at tie rod mount) to break it loose)
Step 11
Unbolt and disconnect upper ball joint (1 bolt behind the top of the knuckle, use a large hammer on the side of the knuckle (at ball joint mount) to break it loose)
Step 12
SLOWLY and CAREFULLY lower jack releasing spring (pay close attention to the brake line making sure it does not get caught and stays free (should be long enough to complete the job without removing the caliper) (spring should pop free on it’s own, if it doesn’t, you want to jack the van higher to allow the lower control arm to swing completely free, this will also help with getting the spring reseated and compressed)

Now to put it all back together
Step 1
Leave spring isolator on top of spring and place spacer on top of that and insert into upper spring cup (working by myself, I used a ratchet strap over the top of the upper shock mount hooked to the spring on each side to hold the spring and spacer into the upper cup, while pushing the spring into the lower seat and jacking up the control arm (step 2).
Step 2
Jack lower control arm up to compress spring while guiding the upper ball joint into the knuckle. (make sure the brake line remains free and does not get run beneath the ball joint)
Step 3
Bolt upper ball joint to knuckle (this might take some finagling as the ball joint will spin while tightening until it’s seated into the knuckle)

From here, follow steps 1 – 10 in reverse and repeat on side 2.

Notes: I did not remove the brake caliper, but obviously you can if you prefer. My brake lines were plenty long enough without disconnecting them. A 2nd set of hands would be really nice, but it can be done with one person. Best way, I found, to get maximum jacking height was to jack the van up from under the lower control arm. Also, doing one side at a time helps to get more height. Without getting the van up quite high, the lower control arm will not droop enough to get the spring and spacer seated AND get the jack back under the control arm to get it back together.

Tools needed:
Floor Jack (2nd jack may be handy)
Jack stands
Ratchet/Sockets (Metric and SAE were needed on my rig, 10mm – 11/16th’s were used)
BFH (yes, a good size hammer, I used a 2lb solid mallet)
Ratchet strap (optional)
Small and large flathead screwdrivers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12