2017 4Runner Premium vs '08 Loaded Cruiser

Why not spend a bit more for a newer land cruiser (equal to or less than you'd spend on the 4runner) if you are considering a land cruiser? Also, waiting 6-8 months for a 4Runner seems ridiculous.

I think my only other question would be, what are you driving now?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Why not spend a bit more for a newer land cruiser (equal to or less than you'd spend on the 4runner) if you are considering a land cruiser? Also, waiting 6-8 months for a 4Runner seems ridiculous.

I think my only other question would be, what are you driving now?

Looking to be somewhat frugal at this point - I trade cars too often to make another big leap. I've had several built rigs from three 80's, older 4runners, a Jeep and a sweet 06 Tacoma. Right now I am driving a 2015 Camry :/ but living between Montana, Alaska and Canada, I need a good winter rig for sure

CSG

Explorer
Like I said in the other thread, I'd rather have a used LC or LX than a new 4Runner. Depending on what you need, you can get a clean used LC/LX for $15-25k. It may be the best 4x4 vehicle ever made in terms of quality and longevity. I bought my used '02 LX after searching for months for the same unit in the LC trim. A clean used LX is not only easier to find but will be less to slightly more expensive than the LC all else being equal.

I paid something like $23k for my LX with 66k miles in December of '09. I've added about 40k miles over the past eight years with no expenses other than normal servicing and maintenance save for a broken power antenna cable. Mine is completely stock but sans running boards. Currently running 265/75/16 KO2's.

24275188698_5a6461e52e_b.jpg

LX570 is the same truck, but no KDSS, it has AHC. It is hydraulic, not pneumatic. It is a far superior system than what was found in the 100 series. It handles better than the LC, however some really don't like the styling. I think they look fine if you are looking at one a couple years old, especially when you put an ARB bumper on the front. New ones are butt ugly for sure. Seats and interior are superior in my opinion. You don't get the coldbox, but that is one of my complaints of the LC. It takes up too much space that could be better utilized.

I got an LC because I happen to get lucky and a low mileage clean one came available at a reasonable price close by. I would have gotten a 570 had I found one that was clean and low mileage at a good price. I plan on driving it for quite a while, so resale wasn't my biggest concern.

mph

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue with the LX570 is if you wanted to build it up. Very hard to do with parts, etc...And, currently, there are not suspension upgrades for the weight. The KDSS is superior offload...If you are keeping it simple and not planning on building it up...the Lexus 570 would be great!

I have both vehicles. 4runner and 200...not really a fair comparison. They are just way different. Both will do the job though:).

The biggest issue with the LX570 is if you wanted to build it up. Very hard to do with parts, etc...And, currently, there are not suspension upgrades for the weight. The KDSS is superior offload...If you are keeping it simple and not planning on building it up...the Lexus 570 would be great!

I have both vehicles. 4runner and 200...not really a fair comparison. They are just way different. Both will do the job though:).

I agree, if you are going to lift it more than 2 inches, go with LC. You can do a 2 inch lift on LX570 just by adjusting the hydraulic brackets. So if you are planning a mild lift or no lift, LX570 is a great buy. Most of the other aftermarket parts other than suspension are compatible.

Also, LC has higher towing capacity, , buy about 1000lbs i think, so also something to consider.

All 3 trucks are awesome, you just need to figure out which one fits your needs best.

Captramrod01

Why not split the difference and get a couple year old gx460? For the price of a new 4runner you can get a couple year old 460 with low miles. You get KDSS, that sweet 4.6l v8 and it takes most of the 5th gen 4runner suspension parts. Downside is you have to deal with that horrid rear gate.

krax

Adventurer
Why not split the difference and get a couple year old gx460? For the price of a new 4runner you can get a couple year old 460 with low miles. You get KDSS, that sweet 4.6l v8 and it takes most of the 5th gen 4runner suspension parts. Downside is you have to deal with that horrid rear gate.

I think we're coming up on the era of built up 460s now that there's some older ones out there that people don't mind fooling with. Kinda like the 470.

Depending on your outlook, the rear door/gate isn't a bug; it's a feature. Plays well with 270° awnings and lets you access the roof when it's open. I wish they had the spare tire mounted there, but no dice.

chiplee

you are comparing apples and oranges. i've had many 4runners and many Land Cruisers. can't compare one to the other. just.... cant.

Interesting. I have exactly the opposite opinion. Land Cruiser is the natural upgrade to the 4Runner and directly in line. I have a pretty built 4th gen 4Runner and a 2017 LC, and I feel like the LC is basically just a super-4Runner. They even look very similar. Can't wait 'til the wife is over it so I can make it "mine."

I think the OP has a tough choice, but agree the 2016 LC 200 added some much needed appearance improvements. Probably rock the 4Runner given these exact choices.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
did you pull the trigger?

not yet - spent some money on PPI's that turned me off the cars. As it turns out, a shocking number of LX570 / LC200 have rust problems regardless of location. The paint and under coatings were of varying quality and as such, some model runs suffer rust badly while others do not. I looked at one in Kalispell Montana, which isnt exactly the rust belt, and it looked like I could have put my fist through several places, including the rear diff cover and the hitch receiver. Something to look for as these come down in value and folks look to pick them up more affordably.

Right now I am just about to give in and take Captramrod01's advice and get an older GX460. 3/4 sized LC with lots of aftermarket and will likely fit my needs just fine. The 4Runners hold their value to such a degree that it almost does not make since to buy used. Amazing. While obviously well built, they have a horrible interior both in design and material. Would drive me over the edge if I had to look at it all the time.

So, unless something wonderful happens in the LX570 world very soon, its going to be GX time for Schattenjager

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
GX all day!

I think we're coming up on the era of built up 460s now that there's some older ones out there that people don't mind fooling with. Kinda like the 470.

Depending on your outlook, the rear door/gate isn't a bug; it's a feature. Plays well with 270° awnings and lets you access the roof when it's open. I wish they had the spare tire mounted there, but no dice.

THIS!! You can't swing a dead cat in this city without hitting a 4Runner; I like the 570 but don't love it pre 15 and then you're talking some high numbers; at least here in the southeast. Go with a 10-13 GX460: save some cash over a 14 to current model, off road pedigree and shares plenty with the 4Runner while still looking different. My plan is to hold off until the spring and then take the plunge on a Premium trim and import bumpers, lights, flares, etc and valances from Japan. Toyota badges to keep people on their toes too while I'm at it. Good luck with your purchase!

fullsizeoutput_11d7.jpegfullsizeoutput_11d8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles