2017 4Runner Premium vs '08 Loaded Cruiser

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Oh boy - maybe I just need to type this out to clear my thinking but I have an interesting dilemma:

New 4runner Premium with sunroof but no KDSS (it is 6-8 months away on order and no dealers near have it either) and 1.9% financing with full new car warranty

or

Loaded 08 Land Cruiser with 120K on the clock, 3.9% but $10K less than the 4runner.

* Will be my only vehicle

* Warranty is super nice to have, but a clean history and PPI on the 120K Cruiser is pretty good indicator of things to come.

* Smaller Rig would make day to day life easier with parking

* Larger Rig will be uber comfy and safe

* Both will have real value in 5+ years, the LC having already taken it's lumps

UGH!!! Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 4.45.05 PM.jpg vs image_176713_img_7628.jpg

Last edited:

Upland80

Adventurer
Another LC vs. 4-runner thread...sweet! Take the LC for 10K less and enjoy for many years to come.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Another LC vs. 4-runner thread...sweet! Take the LC for 10K less and enjoy for many years to come.

I hesitated a moment because I thought it might be over done, or get trolled - but this is a specific situation and not as conceptual as some 'vs' threads.

Also, some of the ExPo membership has been proven to be valuable contributors in the past, often bringing up overlooked or seldom consider points of view, which is what I am seeking before pulling the trigger.

I hope that if someone cannot make a material contribution, they will just move on. Rare indeed, but it is a hope.

perterra

Adventurer
Let me clarify my thoughts then, these days I dont have time to work on stuff and I stack a lot of miles on. 4Runner should be plenty reliable, decent on fuel, capable and well supported aftermarket. LC's are great, but I would take the Runner over a 9 year old LC with 120K

I just went through a similar dilemma. I like both trucks. I debated this for months and trolled several sites including ih8mud. It was a tough decision, but for what i was going to end up paying for a 4Runner Pro, I ended up purchasing an extremely clean 2013 LC with 46K miles for the same price. LC has an extended warranty and is covered until 92K miles.

Here were my take aways.

4Runner gets better fuel economy out of the box. Start putting larger tires on it and it quickly goes down. Larger tires on LC cause fuel economy to go down as well, but not as quickly as the AWD has already put a big dent in it.

Specs say the back is bigger in 4Runner, but i dont believe it. I have a friend/coworker with the 4runner and we can get way more stuff in the back of the land cruiser.

Also, i got rid of my Silverado and the LC has a better towing capacity so that was a selling point for me as well.

The 4runner is better off road out of the box than the LC, but at $40K plus I wasn't looking to take either rock crawling (thats what my FZJ80 is for). LC is extremely capable, but she's fat....

LC is way more comfortable. It will easily cruise at 90mph and is just as easy to park as 4Runner. Seats in both leave something to be desired. If comfort is an issue, consider LX570. It has better seats and is cheaper than LC in the secondary market. Also, you can lift it 2" in your driveway for free. Just a little elbow grease.

LC is quick. Not that you want to take them drag racing, but in real world driving, its nice to have. On ramps are a breeze.

perterra

Adventurer
I just went through a similar dilemma. I like both trucks. I debated this for months and trolled several sites including ih8mud. It was a tough decision, but for what i was going to end up paying for a 4Runner Pro, I ended up purchasing an extremely clean 2013 LC with 46K miles for the same price. LC has an extended warranty and is covered until 92K miles.

Here were my take aways.

4Runner gets better fuel economy out of the box. Start putting larger tires on it and it quickly goes down. Larger tires on LC cause fuel economy to go down as well, but not as quickly as the AWD has already put a big dent in it.

Specs say the back is bigger in 4Runner, but i dont believe it. I have a friend/coworker with the 4runner and we can get way more stuff in the back of the land cruiser.

Also, i got rid of my Silverado and the LC has a better towing capacity so that was a selling point for me as well.

The 4runner is better off road out of the box than the LC, but at $40K plus I wasn't looking to take either rock crawling (thats what my FZJ80 is for). LC is extremely capable, but she's fat....

LC is way more comfortable. It will easily cruise at 90mph and is just as easy to park as 4Runner. Seats in both leave something to be desired. If comfort is an issue, consider LX570. It has better seats and is cheaper than LC in the secondary market. Also, you can lift it 2" in your driveway for free. Just a little elbow grease.

LC is quick. Not that you want to take them drag racing, but in real world driving, its nice to have. On ramps are a breeze.

I think it's safe to say there is no wrong answer.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I asked this question several years ago. A good friend and truck nut put this way. Do you want to pay what 43k for a 40k 4Runner? Or do you want to pay 42k for a 80k LC? Which would you rather be driving? I drove home in a LC two days later. Ha ha

BulletHead

Adventurer
you are comparing apples and oranges. i've had many 4runners and many Land Cruisers. can't compare one to the other. just.... cant.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
This! Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Here were my take aways.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
So the Lexus LX570 is the same same rig, but don't they have a different electrical setup? Doesn't it have air suspension which could be problematic? etc

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Unless the 570 is at least $5000 less for an identical (mileage, service history etc) unit, I'd stick with the LC. Resale is always better on a LC and I'm not a fan of the slightly overdone “luxury” styling of the Lexus. If you're comparing the two, and find that there is a ton more electronics, air suspension etc in the Lexus, that would push me (as it seems it would you as well) towards the “simpler” Land Cruiser.

4Runners are ok, but not even in the same league as the 200 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles