Maxxis Razr MT

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Maxxis has a new mud tire out and are calling it their flagship mud tire. I'm picking a set of 4 up tomorrow 35-12.50R-15 for the XJ. You can get a free watch if you buy from 4wd.com or 4 wheel parts but I found a set local for $810 out the door so no G shock watch for me. I'll be mounting them myself with a manual harbor fright tools because I'll reuse Staun internal beadlocks. Let's hope Jeremy McGrath knows as much about jeep tires as he does motocross. http://www.maxxis.com/razrmt

Not my size but this is how they look. What do you think???

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

COBlu77

I purchased a set of 35x12.5-15 from 4wheel Parts on Black Friday for my 77 Bronco. I've only put about 100 miles on them so far, but they look good, and seem to track and ride better than the gen 1 Goodyear MTR's I replaced. They are a little louder than the MTR's. The watch is junk.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
295/70r17 is $252 per tire. Same as Cooper SST Pro. Not sure i want to try something new for the same price.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
295/70r17 is $252 per tire. Same as Cooper SST Pro. Not sure i want to try something new for the same price.
Maxxis is an off road tire company is the why. You are $ buying $ tires the wrong way if you pay that much. Find the small shops or in AZ we call them Mexican tire shops. They can get anything from the warehouses. I paid $810 out the door for 35's. They wanted 50 to mount and balance. The cheapest Black Friday and Christmas deal I could find was over 900 at the retailers and online. Wrestling in the internal Staun Beadlocks was a workout because of tire weight but mounting tires yourself with irons is a lot easier than you would think. Kids can mount truck tires by hand in 3rd world countries. They run true at speed with no weights! I read that was the case with these new Maxxis.

image.jpg

The other thing I noticed is that this tire is HUGE. It's got to be the largest 35x12.50x15 I've ever seen. My old BFG Krawlers were the really tall as well and most thought they were 37's. The tire shop guys looked at the sticker and sidewall 3 times to make sure these were 35's.

image.jpg

Load range C at 9 PSI. They are still new but these things are one heavy beast of a tire.

image.jpg

The old Krawlers have sidewall plugs but were great tires. To be honest I was hoping for a smaller, less aggressive and lighter tire than the BFG Krawler but the new Maxxis is a beast as well that runs true and quiet. They roll smoother on the ruff trails but getting air at 45 will is over for now. Well at least until the newness wears off and I get the hang of how these handle the speed. That means if I don't start popping them they are in for a real beating. My old tire with sidewall plugs.

image.jpg

So far so good and I'd say if you want a real mud tire that's not a glorified street tire then get them.

bval

Curious about road noise at highway speed. I'm currently running Maxxis Bighorn's on my rig and will need tires this year. The Razr MT are on my list but I could really use something a bit quieter on highway transit sections.

Dewcustom

I put Maxxis RZR Mt on my Ram 2500 40x13.5x20 and on the JK 35x12.5x17 They are nice but you do get some road noise

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
I ordered a set up here in Kanuckistan today, unfortunately not $810. ********!

I got 5, because I run a matching full size spare and rate it in. But the guys in the shop here in Calgary say they were quieter than the Duratrac on their test 4Runner.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
So far so good with mine. I aired down to 10 psi today and drove home on the asphalt without airing back up. The were are not silent but not very loud either.

image.jpg

Z1500

If the sidewall is that stiff, are you noticing a rougher ride when aired down? I air down for a smooth ride, not for traction.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
If the sidewall is that stiff, are you noticing a rougher ride when aired down? I air down for a smooth ride, not for traction.

They are a truck tire for sure. Mine are C rated. I was expecting a wimpy undersized tire considering the others on the market and what they cost. One thing that is nice is that they don't need balance weights. They run true. They flex fine but with Internal air beadlocks the side wall near the rim is all supported by the beadlock sack. I run 7 on trails and 10 or 11 if I'm on high speed dirt roads. Hiway is 27-28 cold depending on how hot it will be. I dial air in dead nuts depending on conditions with calibrated gauges so I may not be the best to understand what you call stiff. They are nothing like E rated tires on a Jeep. They are horrible. Pressure seems to be a pound or two higher than I liked with the BFG Krawlers but they were old and hard.

Z1500

Hmmmm. These tires in a 35x12.5 R17 that I would want on my TJ are E rated. Might make it handle better on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles