KRONK , my 99 obs tahoe(for sale)

Smileyshaun

Observer
my step son had a orchestra competition over in Bend Oregon so the fiance and I decided to try something different and stay in a yurt I remember why I don't like staying in campgrounds but it was a rather nice not having to set up a tent and everything since we really didn't have a ton of free time anyway it really fit the bill.
Didn't have much free time on the way there to do anything but stopped and did a little sightseeing of one of the first Bridges to cross the Crooked River Gorge built in 1923 I think, plus you can walk across the original highway bridge the green one and in the background is the newer 4-lane one they built in the late 90s

Smileyshaun

Observer
After his portion of the competition we were starving and if you know anything about Bend Oregon you know it has beer and lots of it so we found a really good reviewed pizza place and it did not disappoint amazingly unique pizzas and plenty of beers on tap

Margarita pizza with arugula yum

Thai peanut chicken

Rather creative pizza boxes

Smileyshaun

Observer
The well the yurt was interesting the kind of thing that if you have a significant other or kids that aren't really into camping but you still want to get them out somewhere would be fantastic it was clean comfortable had heat and electricity but the biggest downside is it was right by a road, with all the typical Campground noises of other people dogs stuff like that but we were having to leave in the morning and not having to set up camp was a bonus.

It left a lot of time for just sitting around the campfire drinking wine talking and actually had kind of an old person moments and did a crossword puzzle.

Smileyshaun

Observer
The next morning we woke up packed our sleeping bags and clothes I attempted to make coffee on my propane stove but nearly burnt down the campground because when I came back out of the yurt the peace where you screw it on to the propane bottle it was just shooting out propane everywhere I'm amazed that didn't catch on fire.
After watching his second performance for the chamber orchestra we were starving and found this amazing little Mexican joint, breakfast burritos were so damn big we didn't eat again until probably 5 at night.

As usual we like to take the longest way home our original plan was to go on this quartzville Scenic Backcountry byway but the snow was a little too thick to tackle with the limited time we had. On our way out of town we stopped at one more Brewery to take a little sampler and to be honest didn't like a single one of their beers I'm more of a very hoppy IPA guy and none of their beers really had any good bite to them.

Are Plan B ended up being heading up towards Detroit Lake and then the back way through Estacada and back home not surprising we did run into some snow but it was only 2 to 3 feet so is very manageable

Smileyshaun

Observer
Airing down is essential when playing in the snow and these little buggers are so handy I have them set to 15 psi but I think I'm going to drop them down to 12 due to the mtrs having such stiff sidewalls they don't squat as much as I would like at 15.

The rest of the day was uneventful traveled and probably a good 10 miles of snow pulled out a guy in a tacoma and just had a real wonderful day explored a few back roads trying to get to a lake but ended up finding a nice little spot by a creek to eat some snacks and air up the tires

poser shot

https://flic.kr/p/GpnvcV

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Smileyshaun,

Great pics, and I miss the barn doors my old Sub used to have. Keep on adventuring.

Yeah I really do love those barn doors think I'm going to build a better version of the table I was attempting to put on one of them and make a quick pull out shade to go over the top of them but for now I hope I'll just be concentrating on working on my Jeep

Smileyshaun

Observer
Sunday funday
so b4 our little trip to the orchestra competition the fiance had to do a wine pickup at one of our new favorite winery, idiots grace .... yes that's the name of the place . we like smaller wineries because they tend to make more uniqe wines not just the basic,mass marketed , make it safe and mellow so everybody will like it type of stuff . As usual we take the long way and try to checkout roadside attractions

The wine was ok here but the building was cool

mizeide

Michael - Owner Wanderlust Overland
I like your style! You need to swing by Wanderlust Overland sometime. We're here in Oregon City. Just picked up a 99 Tahoe to build up for our overland rig. Going to be starting our own build thread but bumpers, sliders, roof rack, interior storage and some other upgrades are in the works. Tahoe reduced.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
I like your style! You need to swing by Wanderlust Overland sometime. We're here in Oregon City. Just picked up a 99 Tahoe to build up for our overland rig. Going to be starting our own build thread but bumpers, sliders, roof rack, interior storage and some other upgrades are in the works. View attachment 442593

I know right where you guys are I drive by it when I go do a delivery out in Canby I'm actually free right now I might swing by

Smileyshaun

Observer
storage solution
Got tired of having a tool bag rolling around the back so I took out the factory jack and tool kit and relocated them under the back seat . cut the factory mount out and added a couple rings to hold a tie down strap... vola!!! tool storage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier