KRONK , my 99 obs tahoe(for sale)

Smileyshaun

Observer
edit:
finally came up with a name for this thing . If you have ever seen the movie Emperors new groove you know who KRONK is, it fits the tahoe because it's big , a little dumb but super reliable and when I got it it squeaked a lot so it sounded like him talking to a squirrel

EEAD2296-CDD5-4CAD-B721-0FD1BCCFAFBF.jpg
Wasn’t planning on buying this thing was actually just going to take it for a test drive to see if a Tahoe would work as a eventual replacement for my sequoia ( btw the sequoia is for sale ) but after taking it for a test drive the gf fell in love with it so she bought it for me as a early Christmas present so how could I say no??? The main reason for replacing the sequoia is that We are looking to buy a house in the next year so we are cutting back on a lot of stuff and two of those expenses are the sequoia and my boat

56C4727F-575A-4ED8-AABD-327961984500.jpg

But back the the Tahoe ,it already has lift and good tread 35 mtrs , only 124k on the clock , leather with heated seats , rear ac and my favorite thing rear barn doors !!! So this will be more maintenance items and building bumpers taking it out exploring kinda thread .

FDAAEEB8-8B02-4928-A7CB-E4D5AC57EFE2.jpg
37B49476-EE02-4842-926D-A44B9B174EAB.jpg
BE9D1809-E573-4E4F-B8C0-18D5A05D3FEC.jpg

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Things that need attention.
Brakes
Go through all the suspension components and see what needs replacing
Alignment
Service the trans
Change all the fluids
Take off the rear traction bars
Carpets need a good scrubbing

So what's the first thing to address .... playing in the snow of corse
9B8E467A-95FC-4B01-A56C-5E23A431BE66.jpeg

The brakes definitely need addressing , the right rear brake is doing most the work and makes stopping on ice a real joy
Ran into a small issue with the stupid push button 4x4 ( will be swapping it for a manual tcase soon ) it wouldn't come out of 4hi so unfortunately I had to drive quite a while on the pavement but even with that going from clackamas over MT hood over to hood river and back home it still managed 13mpg on the little trip .
And as always you gotta take the lady to do something she wants so a stop at one of our favorite wineries was in order , I'm not much of a wine drinker but naked winery is a must see place , super laid back , great tasting wines and the labels are hilarious and it makes the lady smile ( that's the best part)

3D52C027-CF5C-4BA9-A29E-9702033D812B.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
Had a few hours free today and managed to get some things taken care of.
First off was the Exhaust it was rusted out and cut off right behind the muffler so it was resonating in the cab a little more then I like

A5768B73-A056-47F8-B003-01EA4950CBAD.jpg
C12DF5B3-75B5-48C8-9F51-63B5783A54FB.jpeg

Now this pipe goes to show you the difference in pipe quality , everything before the muller is fine and I'm sure is factory . Lot of times when you get a lot cheaper quote on exhaust work it's probably because they use cheap pipe and mufflers . The thinner the pipe the more sound will end up inside your cab and not out the tailpipe.
2C8CDA7C-E9F0-4C67-97B2-AEFCF5272B00.jpg

It's not tucked up as far as I want but I just needed it fixed for now because it will get rerouted when I build a bumper . Kinda sucked because I think the battery in my welding mask is going out because it was only darkening half the time so I ended up doing one crappy not looking at it welds but no leaks so that's all that matters .
Played around with the torsion bars a bit nd hopefully have it set at good spot where the cvs aren't at much of a angle, also got the bumper and pinch weld taken care of so there's no more tire rubbing

C583C825-3CD8-4F8D-A323-AC4028E53587.jpg
C42A240E-F649-4FC6-8439-11A96AEC5243.jpg

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Love the tahoe. I owned a 1997 that was stock, black with grey leather like yours. One of my all time favorite vehicles. Wish we still had it. Enjoy yours, looks like fun.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

03tahoe

Good call on the Tahoe. Hope it serves you well and helps save some money relative to the Sequoia. I'm just over in Hood River and also have a Tahoe, although it's a 2003.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
The brakes are terrible on this platform.
You can swap to disks in the rear using 99-03 factory parts.

10 bolts are junk. A 9.5” 14 bolt is a much more durable axle and available in 6 lug.

The front brakes can be swapped to 07 13.1” rotors and twin piston calipers using 99-03 knuckles and hubs

You almost certainly need a rehear if it hasn't been done. 4.56's will get you close to stock with a couple hundred additional rpm which you want to compensate for the increased rolling and wind resistance. I'd look seriously at 4.88's even.

For bumpers look at the ones from Logan's Metal Fab. I haven't bought from them yet but intend to. I've talked to some guys who have and they are more than happy. And the price is right

No traction device is available for the front so you may want something for the rear

Smileyshaun

Observer
Not really worried about the axles it's mostly going to be a DD and a back roads Explorer I have a jeep I'm building for any real offroad adventures. Brakes work great so far and with the trailer brake controller stopping shouldn't be a issue . If it comes down to having a axle strength issue I have a 44/14 bolt laying around and I'll just sas swap it .

I haven't pulled the difference covers yet to check things out but I think it's already been re- geared . Cruises about 2k on the tach at 60.

I'll get around to making some bumpers at some point just not really a priority yet . I may hide a winch behind the factory front bumper for now though

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yikes, with 35's on the stock axles I might be a bit concerned, but if going for a mall crawler look you might be fine.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Barn doors on a Tahoe is a rare find.

KLAKE's grossly overstating his criticisms. '99 Tahoe, '05 Tahoe, '02 Burb, combined almost half a million miles. A good bit of towing of all varieties and conditions, not much bashing around in 4WD, haven't had a problem with any of those things. There's always room for improvement, but the stock equipment is more than adequate.

The general faults and maintenance stuff are covered in the second link in my sig.

Smileyshaun

Observer
The main issue people run into with ifs and larger tires is they usually have the cv's at a fairly steep angle sitting at ride hight . Once you turn the wheel aand try to give it some power over a obstacle the stress either goes to the cv's or the diffs itself.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer

KLAKE's grossly overstating his criticisms. '99 Tahoe, '05 Tahoe, '02 Burb, combined almost half a million miles. A good bit of towing of all varieties and conditions, not much bashing around in 4WD, haven't had a problem with any of those things. There's always room for improvement, but the stock equipment is more than adequate.

The general faults and maintenance stuff are covered in the second link in my sig.

Ya we've been over this before. Go to a pick n pull yard and note how many of these trucks are either missing the rear axle or the cover is off with missing or broken parts inside.
That will pretty much end the discussion.
You're trucks and how many combined miles don't change the fact the axles and brakes are universally garbage. But hey I guess the majority of the trucks and owners must be wrong eh?
I've owned plenty myself fwiw (nothing)
86 K5, junk 10 bolt pinion bearing failure.
87 C20 9.5” no axle issues.
89 c1500 broken spider gears
95 k1500 worn pinion bearings
97k1500 this one was good other than the garbage brakes but I bought it with low miles and only put about 45,000 miles on it.
05' LLY Duramax no issue (11.5” axle) this truck had excellent brakes
96 K1500 junk pinion axle had to be replaced when I bought it. Garbage brakes

Again check the pick n pull yards, check the forums, check the Facebook pages. Don't have to take my word for it. But you damn sure shouldn't take this jokers word for it. Or do. And break ****

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
The main issue people run into with ifs and larger tires is they usually have the cv's at a fairly steep angle sitting at ride hight . Once you turn the wheel aand try to give it some power over a obstacle the stress either goes to the cv's or the diffs itself.

This platform has a weak differential with plenty of outright broken cases.
No available traction aids either.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer

I made it to post 18 with zero relevant information to the gmt400
I did see you advocated replacing heater hose fittings with stock replacements which removes all credibility from anything you have to say.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Ya we've been over this before. Go to a pick n pull yard and note how many of these trucks are either missing the rear axle or the cover is off with missing or broken parts inside.
That will pretty much end the discussion.
You're trucks and how many combined miles don't change the fact the axles and brakes are universally garbage. But hey I guess the majority of the trucks and owners must be wrong eh?
I've owned plenty myself fwiw (nothing)
86 K5, junk 10 bolt pinion bearing failure.
87 C20 9.5” no axle issues.
89 c1500 broken spider gears
95 k1500 worn pinion bearings
97k1500 this one was good other than the garbage brakes but I bought it with low miles and only put about 45,000 miles on it.
05' LLY Duramax no issue (11.5” axle) this truck had excellent brakes
96 K1500 junk pinion axle had to be replaced when I bought it. Garbage brakes

Again check the pick n pull yards, check the forums, check the Facebook pages. Don't have to take my word for it. But you damn sure shouldn't take this jokers word for it. Or do. And break ****

Well this isn't my first Chevy nor my first half ton and I've never had any of the sort of axle issues you're talking about so maybe the vehicles you bought have had horrible maintenance done to them or just driven overly hard not sure what it could be.

I would never claim this thing to have strong drivetrain components but then on the other hand for what general use it's going to be used for it'll be perfectly fine and like I said if the drivetrain becomes an issue I'll ditch the IFS. Doesn't matter who manufacturers the ifs it's all very light duty stuff it was never meant to be a heavy-duty off-road application it came around because people wanted softer riding suspension and cared less about longtivity of their vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online