KRONK , my 99 obs tahoe(for sale)

Smileyshaun

Observer
It's kind of weird I didn't know that I got over to Pirate 4x4 where childish name calling and angry outburst because you have a difference of opinion with someone is common.
You don't like chevys and have had bad luck with them and that's fine everybody has had bad luck with one brand of vehicle.

And to be honest I have no idea what is at Pick-n-Pull yards I quit getting used parts to fix vehicles a long time ago

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ran into a small issue with the stupid push button 4x4 ( will be swapping it for a manual tcase soon ) it wouldn’t come out of 4hi so unfortunately I had to drive quite a while on the pavement but even with that going from clackamas over MT hood over to hood river and back home it still managed 13mpg on the little trip .
I don't know if the GMT400 trucks had a similar setup to the GMT800s, but WRT the electric T-case, before you do major surgery on it, you might want to see if you can just swap in a new motor or a new controller. On the GMT-800 trucks, at least, these options are inexpensive and usually cure any problems with the electric T-case.
A couple of times when I've been out on rough roads with the Suburban I've had 4wd issues. On Hole-in-the-rock road in October, we were at the very end (the part that is considered a 4x4 trail) and I put the 'Burb into low range to help me get up and down some of the steep whoop-de-doos. Afterwards, it would not go back into hi range or 2wd, and I was getting the "Service 4wd" message on the Dashboard information center. However, once I stopped, shut the engine off for a few minutes and restarted, everything worked normally.
I don't know if that would work on your GMT400 but it's worth a try. Much as I like manually shifted transfer cases, I have to grudgingly admit that the electric 4wd systems on my last few vehicles have been at least as reliable as any other major system (engine, transmission, etc.)

Smileyshaun

Observer
I don't know if the GMT400 trucks had a similar setup to the GMT800s, but WRT the electric T-case, before you do major surgery on it, you might want to see if you can just swap in a new motor or a new controller. On the GMT-800 trucks, at least, these options are inexpensive and usually cure any problems with the electric T-case.
A couple of times when I've been out on rough roads with the Suburban I've had 4wd issues. On Hole-in-the-rock road in October, we were at the very end (the part that is considered a 4x4 trail) and I put the 'Burb into low range to help me get up and down some of the steep whoop-de-doos. Afterwards, it would not go back into hi range or 2wd, and I was getting the "Service 4wd" message on the Dashboard information center. However, once I stopped, shut the engine off for a few minutes and restarted, everything worked normally.
I don't know if that would work on your GMT400 but it's worth a try. Much as I like manually shifted transfer cases, I have to grudgingly admit that the electric 4wd systems on my last few vehicles have been at least as reliable as any other major system (engine, transmission, etc.)

Doing a transfer swap is easy and inexpensive plus I really like the illuminated 4x4 shifter on the floor .

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
It's kind of weird I didn't know that I got over to Pirate 4x4 where childish name calling and angry outburst because you have a difference of opinion with someone is common.
You don't like chevys and have had bad luck with them and that's fine everybody has had bad luck with one brand of vehicle.

And to be honest I have no idea what is at Pick-n-Pull yards I quit getting used parts to fix vehicles a long time ago

Haha, I had exactly the same reaction to my build, had to double check if I was still on ExPo or accidentally posted on Pirate 4x4.

Don't listen to nay sayers, they are only bitter because they listened to their own advise and the truck is still up on jacks in the driveway.

Keep building, playing and posting lots of pics of successes, adventures and failures for other to learn from.

Good luck.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Ya I'm not worried about others opinions , we are at such a sad place online where no matter what you post someone will have a issue with it. I could say " I think kittens are adorable " and at some point you know there would be a response like " kittens are actually devil off springs of the lizard people that are really controlling the government and you are stupid for liking them " it's just the world we live in now . We are drowning in knowledge but starving for truth

Smileyshaun

Observer
Haha, I had exactly the same reaction to my build, had to double check if I was still on ExPo or accidentally posted on Pirate 4x4.

Don't listen to nay sayers, they are only bitter because they listened to their own advise and the truck is still up on jacks in the driveway.

Keep building, playing and posting lots of pics of successes, adventures and failures for other to learn from.

Good luck.

Man enjoyed looking through most of your thread ( I'll read the rest when I'm on a computer not a phone ) it's nice to see a thread that's got a lot of adventures in it , keep up the fun travels

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Man enjoyed looking through most of your thread ( I'll read the rest when I'm on a computer not a phone ) it's nice to see a thread that's got a lot of adventures in it , keep up the fun travels

Smileyshaun,

I used to have a 98 GMC Suburban with a 6" drop lift, 35s and rear barn doors, absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. My family came to visit me one summer, we packed 6 people over 1,000lbs of camping gear behind the rear seat and spent 24 days on the road exploring the National parks out west. 18mpg with 3.73 gears at 55mph and 600+ mile range on a single fill up without looking like Christmas tree with gas cans, awnings, highlift jacks and RTTs and off road lights hanging off a vehicle that does not belong off the pavement. Your Tahoe is absolutely perfect as is to get into and out of any adventure you are willing to throw at it as it sits.

JNTXL-km6jtXnMOYB0mBkCIsuoGulyM-K1JucmPV1iIfYzQoXAUrqB86q6BMbCYNbXj4FOhO5zbHrlQq46LPVryROnmlhqrD0m1Hsnz3x-jP8PjHJpvHo7uXxe5ukGIZTTTBLfk70CJTK24hGOsbDHrpQcrwzNht7WMYl_90119HU1S6wjLzR41a3L3qCO2HQqivcK-WeREXIOj7AiShEbO6I2IPb1JhK-zNASFGlXzerxxtGaOTWiWvFS3KJNB-N3W9TpNws8ziPyVhZe9W2RjJVOE81rO3XZVw3RMZsXzXIKWilNC8katB1n_95QiUiWJOLgxUMvDxTZ-oIva5XIDB_LOpBIYW1cKF-pQ9RRFLn1M2mysd548anA4Q0eCx-f8OFLacwDj1qykBSZA3OgmbJ2B36H7NgMJkxP3bEUSraKycTwH05Rff8eDr_-1v49gSbqqPZEveP7IEkI-GsIDPZmo0ipJS76kOGrYGmUzeLwjvsHZjmMAIA7HWTMwXhmD9zKJ-T9AzmvmIjoLAYK4o82H7PCZGbH4-xKax0KO2IeXbBWDljKCI03CT_TCTY8knc2EfXNEC5e1HTMjRXqKueOlefasbHwwOwlyHTw=w1018-h763-no

Ol3h4IFdJ2u9uy3GaaSRz5Q4FRA9QGcgexa0oeSAeDGHqelyF-FbRIKS8kE2_c81BP5rQ4O5GxJrpQZaAFMjollE5of9ISGzJ_S0HJQWdott1i52A-aNyp2wZAxPs5DYfur-Dve6e_uIjmTQYpyY2wloyryzkWIt_810MNtNiJVozGF4KEB_5iptQ7x0VDj4b5Ev2NhPjCx5toAt5YxudPufPP_gz9_lwFXBc9RteVedC1XwDZBMk-Kbaa17Hd5VWcyOzG1tBekW9g3smKDXfae60wolLHODJw-C5JAXXoXSGotx-JPj48ll2LbDwZSRr3Kwuf2WQOZ-S8o-6FW92I7T8xR8OlLYi3-yMDi3X_JyY30_GyX-TBQg77lX-gUUfO7T4pBrB8BRKPOtAWVMUY1pIhzXbcf1d-HYb8b0O4vfn0WgJyfyaAqeVpiPbD2vTLxqRF4xCcxAMZXq-4MMChbaPLrix8jWLvVXg28nH5DZhQNXXz7d5kzew-uu4MwLOUXylE70uz7oyg9CXiP8VVQ2KFz1vAYDz294J5d-TUtjgiuuyuNhmSc8FWmVvNVlWocqGn1jY5kb-bvrM0rXUhoqM7rl2DzXCLmD0xtTTQ=w1018-h763-no

5aATftIRtRwOPvlUumqpT1AQm_p5BxCZr8Oyf3SsAj_86e-lUmRR3QleSLlTShSDFrTOuzKRkBBYcdQQenp5oofK6u_YCco9GaQXqLIG-YLwRu7dl98XZQ8Ej-4ekQv3SfgJdWL8EXC2NLuXpV0jZ2V_bFqZhqJzccJk7wS8ar6i1LmOFHGk_V9_3xLFs5lQ_kjU_X3fa_QbmVh22dk62Q1JoGW8mV6LPacPNNoAThu-nKb0MG2Pt_NMx6zumsc56fdOMrKGMQ9r1ldAfLI_o8I81NgniG0LbidjB8GpOlrcup999WQKjRbLGfZbRpDs9t_WaqNCkgP-Q6xkj3HjM3g8bpV2YjO4cZDc5PTtPQtZAFhQ64R2ibrbG0yO_K9znt4PukwTPRVnm6vTsl05Ib7ScIq7IyfENG-pDz4ymoKnBZyOM00cTKwMRv0wKlklbAns9giWg6nRQ6Hv_ywGoVOPaYjxTZBuy1pVJTB-LFMsQ9nfeY_9iyHPnFJwij7ZxdCsGR4qAJxzKpVQKhWc7UxEeXD4vHn5b00tWj4YuveMcqccOd2QLkp9GcGWjd-_6nqbX5t3acJYVOwFYfBwQryarUgkvzG5fexGq7w6Zg=w1018-h763-no

I was in your exact shoes last year, sold my boat, truck and motorcycles for a down payment on a house, but did not want to sacrifice safety and off-road peroformance with a new born. Our Sub let us continue enjoying the outdoor adventures without having any burden on our lifestyle. I look forward to your build and good luck with buying the house.

Andrei

rayra

Expedition Leader
I made it to post 18 with zero relevant information to the gmt400
I did see you advocated replacing heater hose fittings with stock replacements which removes all credibility from anything you have to say.

They last well over 100k miles, they'll do for another 100k, you abrasive ******************.

/what are you f'n 12? speaking of Pirate4x4

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Smileyshaun,

JNTXL-km6jtXnMOYB0mBkCIsuoGulyM-K1JucmPV1iIfYzQoXAUrqB86q6BMbCYNbXj4FOhO5zbHrlQq46LPVryROnmlhqrD0m1Hsnz3x-jP8PjHJpvHo7uXxe5ukGIZTTTBLfk70CJTK24hGOsbDHrpQcrwzNht7WMYl_90119HU1S6wjLzR41a3L3qCO2HQqivcK-WeREXIOj7AiShEbO6I2IPb1JhK-zNASFGlXzerxxtGaOTWiWvFS3KJNB-N3W9TpNws8ziPyVhZe9W2RjJVOE81rO3XZVw3RMZsXzXIKWilNC8katB1n_95QiUiWJOLgxUMvDxTZ-oIva5XIDB_LOpBIYW1cKF-pQ9RRFLn1M2mysd548anA4Q0eCx-f8OFLacwDj1qykBSZA3OgmbJ2B36H7NgMJkxP3bEUSraKycTwH05Rff8eDr_-1v49gSbqqPZEveP7IEkI-GsIDPZmo0ipJS76kOGrYGmUzeLwjvsHZjmMAIA7HWTMwXhmD9zKJ-T9AzmvmIjoLAYK4o82H7PCZGbH4-xKax0KO2IeXbBWDljKCI03CT_TCTY8knc2EfXNEC5e1HTMjRXqKueOlefasbHwwOwlyHTw=w1018-h763-no

Andrei

hah. Have almost exactly the same pic in my old near-stock C-10. Put a third of a million miles on it across SoCal roads and deserts over 30yrs. You and I both know that KLAKE's pronouncements of doom are horsecrap.

my only comment in your thread was about the big tire size, knowing there'd be damage. Went thru much the same long ago when I stuffed some 31s under a D50 and an old Chevy Luv. Lots of fender skin cutting and wheel well / floor pan hammering. I said my piece and left it be. I didn't do like KLAKE's doing here.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Had a little free time so I got to doing a little carpet cleaning . It's really amazing how many things you can use simple green cleaner for , if you really dilute it down with some really hot water it will take up most the stains you have plus does a good job of deodorizing. 80CF7DD7-DACC-44FF-BA13-CAE2C257A3BF.jpg

B7F65AB1-DEA5-4BF4-88F4-2F1755F5D179.jpg

Also wanted to see how much shine was left in the paint so I gave the fender a quick rundown with some meguires ultimate compound , that should bug me enough to make me do the rest ASAP lol
9589E1EC-6F07-4E40-BDEF-C8D6F8B58F24.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
2815_lg.jpg

This stuff is awesome, now I won't say it's the best product out there for restoring paint but it is the easiest. Takes very little effort and removes easily. If the paint is really oxidized it's best to do it by hand first because it will clog up a polishing wheel or pad rather quickly. A buffer is not necessary with it but does speed up the process.

This Volvo took me forever and 4 layers of cleaning (2×ultimate compound 1x ultimate Polish then a wax with their black wax)I actually thought the car was painted flat black but turned out to have the factory paint still .
012F00BF-2D28-455E-B0B7-8E6A227C6C8C.jpg

84D93098-00C8-4DBE-BD16-07ED29888843.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
With all the holiday goodness going on nothing to exciting has been happening car wise .While waiting for a late truck the munchkin and I did manage to get the paint mostly polished out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles