Gen 3 Running Rough

arb098

Adventurer
Alright guys, I need some help. My 05 Montero started misfiring a few weeks ago. It threw a cylinder 6 misfire code, so I pulled the coil and sure enough, it was dead. Got a new one shipped to me the next day (Because I didn't bother checking the others, like an idiot), put her in, and she fired right up. Went to test drive her and she started misfiring again. Got a cyclinder 5 misfire code this time, so I pulled the coil for that cylinder, and sure enough, it was dead too. Went ahead and ordered 2 more coils, because I figured I would go ahead and replace the last one too. When they arrived, one was broken and out of stock, so I called and had them ship me a replacement when it came in. Switch out the cylinder 5 coil, though, went to start it, and I had a dead battery. I didn't realize that the fiance had left the backdoor cracked and the lights had been on. Pulled the battery, charged it over night, tried to start it, and it just wouldn't crank. I pulled the final coil and the boot fell off as I pulled it out, so needless to say, it too was done. I finally got the last coil in today, put it in, and she fired right up.

Now the new issue: she's running rough. I'm not getting any CEL, though. On top of running rough, it's also idling hire than normal -- around 1100 to 1200 rpms. Also, now the traction control light is on and the tire pressure light is blinking. Can someone help me crack the code on this one?

KyleT

Explorer
If it sits dead it needs to relearn the idle and stuff.

The traction light will turn off after you hit 10mph or something.

The Tire light blinking means you have a low tire or a fault in one of the sensors.

Check the tire pressure and go drive the car. Should clear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arb098

Adventurer
Tried an idle relearning procedure I found on the forum. It's idling at 700 rpms now, but it's still running rough. Took it down the road to see if it straightened out, but about 10 feet of the driveway I got a CEL. #5 cyclinder misfire, yet again. Not sure what's going on since I just replaced the coil. I'll check the wires in the morning and see if thats the issue.

Anyone else got any ideas?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Tried an idle relearning procedure I found on the forum. It's idling at 700 rpms now, but it's still running rough. Took it down the road to see if it straightened out, but about 10 feet of the driveway I got a CEL. #5 cyclinder misfire, yet again. Not sure what's going on since I just replaced the coil. I'll check the wires in the morning and see if thats the issue.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Are they OEM coils? If not you may have just enough variation in resistance/ohm reading between old and new to throw a code.

arb098

Adventurer
Are they OEM coils? If not you may have just enough variation in resistance/ohm reading between old and new to throw a code.

Yep, they're OEM from mitsu parts warehouse. I also checked them with a multimeter to make sure they were within FSM standards.

KyleT

Explorer
It took mine like 20 mins of driving to get it to clear up. Barely ran after I started it. Kept dying at idle. Threw all kinds of misfire codes at first and the exhaust was rank smelling from being so rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I can vouch for that too with my 98. After the rebuild it ran like crap for a few miles, CEL, hesitating, stalling. I was worried the rebuild was a failure. It all cleared up on its own.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles