Brake Advice

Reddogtheo

Observer
I thought I might tell members about a brake problem on FG637. I have had a problem of the truck pulling to the left under heavy braking.On investigation found slight weeping on two wheel cylinders hence change the lot all six of them and change all fluid. Problem solved pulled up perfect than after 3000ks one brand new wheel cylinder fails. All wheel cylinders are after market at a cheap price of $49.00 so I bought a replacement new cylinder off Mitsubishi, cost $90.00 with Mitsi logo cast into it.The original
cylinders lasted 18 years the after market 8 weeks. Maybe I should of bought all original and not try to save a mere $250.00 as the work to replace one cylinder cost me four hours and a new cylinder.

Mick

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yep, rebuild them is the way to go. A lot cheaper even than after market. Unless they are pitted than it is worth getting them stainless sleeved and only ever have to replace the rubber once every BLUE Moon.

Dan.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I can't say that I am too impressed with the brakes on my Mitsu. The first time I drove it, wasn't fun but it had been sitting out for a few years. It got a bit better after use. If I know I am going to need to stop for a red light I just start down shifting.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
They're even more impressive if you are going backwards!

You got that right. You need to learn to stall it (shut engine down) when in climb and not making it. Don't just clutch it and rely on the brakes to hold you "THEY WON"T". When the Canter is stopped shift swiftly and precisely into reverse and with foot of clutch, hit ignition to start in gear in reverse and back down.

Make sense,
Dan.

canter tourer

Adventurer
That's a pain in the rear Mick, just because they're aftermarket doesn't mean they should be that crap! I guess it's near impossible to claim any sort of warranty either on the part?
Your logic is sound on the Mitsubishi part though, hopefully you get another 18 years from the new one:)
Other than no longer pulling to the left, did it improve the marginal braking at all?
Dave

canter tourer

Adventurer
You got that right. You need to learn to stall it (shut engine down) when in climb and not making it. Don't just clutch it and rely on the brakes to hold you "THEY WON"T". When the Canter is stopped shift swiftly and precisely into reverse and with foot of clutch, hit ignition to start in gear in reverse and back down.

Make sense,
Dan.

Good advice there Dan, the stall start is one of those techniques that will literally save your rear during those high tension freckle moments!!
Dave

HazMan

Observer
I learnt that the hard way in the Victorian High Country..... The wife jumped out the passenger door while I worked out the wack it in gear to stop bit! :Wow1:

Once in reverse, I hit the starter and backed down nice and easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles