Favorite LR3 Mod

etl330

Finally looking go start modding my LR3 and thought I'd start a 'favorite mod' thread. Three simple questions:
1) what did you do?
2) why did you do it?
3) how did you do it?

Ray_G

Explorer
1) Fridge (Intially an Ironman, then upgraded to a Snomaster)
2) Hanging trinkets off the outside and such tends to be what most do first but a few years back I used VOT as my excuse to get a fridge and then I realize why so many folks had advised that it would change a lot for not just me but my family; as a mod adding a fridge to the truck makes it so much more user friendly not just for camping, wheeling, 'overlanding' but also for day to day stuff like getting groceries and the like. It is money well spent.
3) Removed the 30 seat out of the 35/30/35 setup, used the hardware from the seat to put some bolt plates down to allow for straps, and ran power from a blue sea fuse box in the rear cubby.
2016-09-18 09.19.54.jpg

Other mods I really like:
-BFG KO2s; fantastic tires
-Prospeed roof rack; the rack against which all others are measured for the 3/4 series Discos, in my opinion.
-Custom front winch bumper
-Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE seat panels
-Switching to coils :)

latarheel

latarheel
Ray,

by "bolt plates" , I was htinking of the D2 mounting D rings where the seat bolts to the floor and moutning straps to that. Is that doable or did you need to make a base plate first and attach fridge with straps to that? Trying to visualize your setup.

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray,

by "bolt plates" , I was htinking of the D2 mounting D rings where the seat bolts to the floor and moutning straps to that. Is that doable or did you need to make a base plate first and attach fridge with straps to that? Trying to visualize your setup.

D2 cargo rings would work too I think, without knowing exactly the size of the seat hardware. This is what I use: bolt plates. Perhaps slightly more elegant for 1" webbing than the Dii rings but either works. Pardon the nasty floor, but this shows where they mount and then how I integrate with the fridge:
2016-09-10 11.48.14.jpg
2016-09-10 12.11.52.jpg

17" Wheels w/BFG KM2's

1: 17" wheels and BFG KM2's
2: IMO, I believe this is how the Disco 3/4 should have came off the production line. True off-road tire options with ability to run a wide array of tire pressure for optimum performance of the tire and traction control in almost every environment. Allows for a factory width tire (very close to it), no spacers, no trimming, no rubbing; just all performance tire upgrade.
3: Another forum member (A.J.M.) offered to assist by locating and shipping EuroSpec Disco3 17" wheels (set of five) from Scotland. I purchased the US V6 brake kit from AB and the caliper carriers from LR Direct. Install was the same as with all Disco 3/4 because they are factory components.

Next in Line:
1: National Luna Weekender 50L dual fridge/freezer center seat install.......EPIC!
2: Full size spare carrier on my TR rear bumper. Love the bumper, not in love with the rear swing out design so I'm making my own dual swing out with Jerry cans.
3: Traxide dual battery with solar. This install is partially complete and will be finished when I return to my home in SoCal in January.
4: Interior removal from the second row back to allow for custom drawer and sleeping platform. Work in progress but the removal of almost 250lbs of seats I never use was a great addition to my future plans of a full-time overland rig.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
14: Interior removal from the second row back to allow for custom drawer and sleeping platform. Work in progress but the removal of almost 250lbs of seats I never use was a great addition to my future plans of a full-time overland rig.

Are you removing seats 6 & 7? or have you done it already bud? I want to do the same mod and put a water tank in the hole where the seats used to be.

Are you removing seats 6 & 7? or have you done it already bud? I want to do the same mod and put a water tank in the hole where the seats used to be.

I have all but one seat removed in the back. Keeping one folded down under the sleeping platform in case I need to carry another passenger. Check out the build thread! There is a company that makes a water tank for that 6-7 seat area but i plan to put my water tank behind the front passenger seat to offset the weight of the long range fuel tank that will go in the spare wheel area.

Total weight removed: 215lbs

Victory_Stripped_Cargo2.jpg

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I have all but one seat removed in the back. Keeping one folded down under the sleeping platform in case I need to carry another passenger. Check out the build thread! There is a company that makes a water tank for that 6-7 seat area but i plan to put my water tank behind the front passenger seat to offset the weight of the long range fuel tank that will go in the spare wheel area.

Total weight removed: 215lbs

You raise a very valid point regarding the balancing of weight, Im fitting the LR long range tank too so may reconsider the tank under the seats...

That space will will make a cool stash spot under the drawer system :)

MrWesson

Adventurer
IIDtool
**** breaks.
I bought it.

Actual mod would probably be my custom hidden winch setup.
Because I wheel alone.
Harbor freight winch tray, welder, strong bolts and a drill(for the frame). Has held up to about 15-20 pulls over 25k miles.
05Hcc4ql.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
It is not easy to have a favorite as everything I have done is to make the vehicle work for me.
Front runner roof rack, Easyawn shade tarp on right side, ARB front bumper with Warn 12000 lb winch and off road spot/driving lights, ARB fridge (had from previous vehicle) bolted to floor (existing bolt holes from seat) in second row seat between two outside seats, removed third row seating to install Front Runner drawer system, second row seats folded sown to accept plywood boxes to allow for creation of sleeping platform for two, plywood boxes are storage for clothes and other items. Tactical 4X rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, installed two Nato petrol cans in the previous spare tire area held up with 3/16 steel plate. New Magna Flo cat back exhaust. 18 inch steel rims from Atlantic British with 265/65/18 Duratrack tires on them, Safari snorkel for dust control. Fabricated brackets for sand ladders that fits under FR roof rack. Fabricated bracket to hold propane fire pit with bracket for propane tank (both on FR rack). Plus other items that needed to be replaced like rotors and pads from AB, control arms, sway bars etc.
Been a fun adventure so far and will continue as long as I can get out to play.
So if I had to pick a favorite it would be the ARB fridge as cold beer at trail end is very important.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles