Just took the plunge....LJ70 series. Where to find the odds and ends.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
LCengine.jpgLCfront.jpgLCdriver.jpg

Had the chance and couldn't pass it up. I'm overseas right now, and found a rust free, one owner, extremely good condition turbo diesel LJ70 LC I snagged. Only thing that doesnt work is the sunroof, but that I'll get to later as it isn't a priority. My priority for the truck is getting a rear bench seat and rear seatbelts for it as they were removed at some point in the last 30 years by the original owner. the other priority is getting something better in terms of headlights, a 1990 steering wheel and front seats, and a snorkel. I was on the look out for a rust free truck that already had the "need to do" stuff done, so I only have to do the "want to do" stuff...and this one checked the block. Starts right up and idles smooth, drives great. Power locks and windows work, 4wd system works, etc.

Im hoping some 70 series experts can start getting me pointed in the right direction for where the clearing house of information is where I can start getting smart on the ins and outs of the truck, and where to go to get some of these parts for it. I'm hoping it will be a similar experience to my buddy here who just grabbed an old Defender and seems to be able to get parts at any time anywhere. I have heard that the 2L-T engine in these trucks have become hard to get parts for in the states when I get back, but it will be getting a Cummins R2.8 as soon as I'm home, so that it isnt a concern...its just the odds and ends I'm looking for. Also, if I'm not mistaken, because it has the coil suspension as opposed to the leaf springs, I should be able to put the OME BP-51 on it?

Any help on starting to get me smart on these trucks and where to find these odds and ends would be greatly appreciated...I got a lot to learn. But man is it cool!!

thanks all!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
First off, congrats!!

Parts for the light-duty Land Cruisers (LJ7x) are a little tougher but out there. Ih8mud is a fantastic resource for used parts. We (Cruiser Outfitters) stock parts for the axles and suspension, we stock a great deal for the HD Land Cruiser engine/trans/t-case but not as much for the LJ as they are a bit tougher to find and less in use here in the US.

As for suspension, it will be a miracle if Old Man Emu ever decides to build a BP51 kit for a LJ7x, but plan on the answer being never. None of their current offerings would work without major fabrication/modification and from their perspective, a 100 Series, 80 Seris and Taco/4Runner platforms would get BP51 long before a LJ7x.

Old Man Emu does offer a full coil/shock/damper suspension kit for the LJ7x and we've dealt with many builds. Let us know if we can help.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
First off, congrats!!

Parts for the light-duty Land Cruisers (LJ7x) are a little tougher but out there. Ih8mud is a fantastic resource for used parts. We (Cruiser Outfitters) stock parts for the axles and suspension, we stock a great deal for the HD Land Cruiser engine/trans/t-case but not as much for the LJ as they are a bit tougher to find and less in use here in the US.

As for suspension, it will be a miracle if Old Man Emu ever decides to build a BP51 kit for a LJ7x, but plan on the answer being never. None of their current offerings would work without major fabrication/modification and from their perspective, a 100 Series, 80 Seris and Taco/4Runner platforms would get BP51 long before a LJ7x.

Old Man Emu does offer a full coil/shock/damper suspension kit for the LJ7x and we've dealt with many builds. Let us know if we can help.

Thanks Kurt! Email sent. I want to get the suspension ans diff locks sorted. Engine will come out next year in favor of the cummins r28.

-Kurt

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Not sure if it helps but my troopy in Australia has the rear seats out of an 80 series in it. Much more comfortable for the people in the rear seat.

Arktikos

Explorer
Neat. So what's the "need to" stuff that been done already?

You could probably sell the engine being pulled to a Toyota mini truck guy.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Neat. So what's the "need to" stuff that been done already?

You could probably sell the engine being pulled to a Toyota mini truck guy.

Just general maintenance stuff. Intake pipe needs a little attention, but I just meant I was lucky enough to find one that didn't have a bunch of stuff that needed to be done before it was driveable. I didn't want something that was starting out needed a bunch of things done to be road worthy is all. Couple guys here did Defenders, and we just talk about how nice it is to get a project car from the "need to do" stuff to the "want to do" stuff. I didn't have a desire for a "need to do" truck right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles