Which GVWR to order?

Durango

Adventurer
Hopefully you folks can tolerate one more question on my projected 2018 Ram 3500 SRW Chassis Cab order! I've already got a new FWC Grandby flatbed ordered for it and yes, we travel "heavy"! I'm guessing with all our crap, extra water, etc we'll be at a 3,000 pound plus payload. So here's the deal...

Evidently I can order the Ram with a GVWR of 10,000...payload...3830 OR a GVWR if 11,000...payload...4830. I lean toward the higher payload but...

A) Am I going to have legal issues being over 10,000# and entry stations? I don't want to have to weigh in...

B) Will the higher payload translate into a substantially rougher ride loaded? The Grandby will be bolted on permanently.

Many thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im not familiar enough with the Ram setups.

But when dealing with this same decision myself for a superduty, I dug into the specifics.

What I found, at least when comparing the 2011-2016 super duty was this...

The ONLY differences between the gasser 9600lb SRW F250 and the gasser 10,700 lb SRW F350 was the height of the rear blocks, and factory overloads.
Rear blocks for the higher GVWR F350 are taller than the F250, and the F350 comes with factory overload leafs.

Everything else is the same, except the GVWR on the door tag.

Knowing that, and knowing some of the registration and insurance problems Id have to deal with with the higher GVWR,
I opted to stick with the 10k GVWR F250, with the intent to add bags int he rear, and load it down like an F350,
even if it puts me over the GVWR that happens to be on the door tag :)

STREGA

Explorer
I think one of the reasons for the lower GVWR is at 10,001 lbs or more registration cost a lot more than the 10K rating, not a big difference between the trucks. My 10K rated truck is handling the weight just fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94