Exhaust gas temperature sensor?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Is anybody out there installed an exhaust gas temperature sensor and a oil temperature sensor on a Fuso FG? Did you find a good place to install them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Sure have, exhaust temp sender in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo. Oil temp/pressure in the oil line where it comes out of the block. That's the normal.

Depends on which model engine you have find a spot on the exhaust manifold that is accessible close as possible to the turbo and drill and tap a hole to screw the sender in. Now while you are drilling and tapping this hole you are going to have the engine running so as to blow the shavings (filings) out. A little grease on the drill bit and tap is good too as this catches some of the filings. Care in this operation to keep things (Filings) coming out is paramount.

My oil pressure comes out straight out of the block under where the turbo is so get the right fittings, some thread tap and fit them up.

Dan.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Thanks AI! I was thinking the same, I have a 4M50 and was a little worried that the wall thickness wasn't enough to tap. Do you have any pics of where you placed both?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Totally different engine than yours. Home made exhaust manifold as well. Yours is a lot later model so pics of mine probably won't do you any good. All I can say is pick a spot that you believe to be thick enough and drill it. I've even drilled through where the shroud mounting bolts are to fit exhaust gas temp probe.

Find where your oil pressure sender is on the side of the block, it will also have a line coming of it to supply oil to the top of the turbo.

Dan.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Yep I put the probe in my manifold. Take the heat shield off, and there's a flattish spot just between #3&4, drilled and tapped straight thru there. Did the old grease on the drill and had a vac running but didn't have the motor on. 10k later it's fine. Then put a hole in the heat shield and run the probe wire thru it before you screw it in.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've been planning on adding a pyrometer to my Fuso and in reading up on them, while pre-turbo gives a more accurate reading, some people suggest post-turbo, so if the probe fails (mechanically, breaking off) it is downstream of the turbo and will not cause any damage. What are your thoughts on that?

Amesz00

Adventurer
I think it's one of those things that's technically possible, but nobody seems to have heard of it happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles