Camp Chef Mountaineer Stove

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I think the point was mostly that knocking a company down to being considered crap quality for some bad paint work is a little insane. For most of us, it matters more how well the thing works and if it holds up well enough in real use, not how well-built it looks. A stove that costs twice as much, works the same and only lasts slightly longer isn't worth the extra cost to me. But if the better stove lasts 3 times as long and works better in the meantime, I'll gladly pay more for it.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
I have a 22" Partner Steel stove. It is a very well built stove but weak point is its ability to operate at low heat to simmer. How is the Camp Chef in the simmering department?

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a 22" Partner Steel stove. It is a very well built stove but weak point is its ability to operate at low heat to simmer. How is the Camp Chef in the simmering department?

Mine is brand new and have not been out with it yet but I will fire it up and give it a test soon.

dcg141

Adventurer
First weekend of cooking. Very good stove. It will simmer just fine. Like most camp stoves the control valves are a tad sensitive but you can get the flames really low and consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 141

fire_strom

Adventurer
Just ordered one. You can get them for $162 from campsaver.com. Use code 10CPN. I found it by googleing "camp chef mountaineer" and clicked shopping results. YMMV.
-G

Joanne

Adventurer
I've been looking at moving to the Mountaineer. I've been cooking on a Weekender for the last ten years or so, and it's still going strong. I believe that this model has been discontinued.

desert_camp_012.jpg

The stove puts out a ton of heat when I turn it up. It doesn't simmer well so I use a "flame tamer" or other heat diffuser when I need less heat. The real problem I have with the Weekender is that it uses low pressure burners that frequently blow out in the wind. I camp in the high desert for a week at a time and we always have windy days. Sometimes our entire trip has high winds. It gets to be a real chore to relight the stove over and over while trying to cook a meal. I think that the high pressure burners on the Mountaineer would work better. I've even thought about trying to modify the weekender to use high pressure burners but don't know where to find them. The ones I've found on Google so far are actually high heat output, low pressure burners. I also like the idea of being able to use legs on the Mountaineer so I won't have to use valuable table space. I'm going to give it a bit more thought before I jump in.

Joanne

Steve_P

After many years with a Weekender I switched to an Everest. My main issues with the Weekender were pack size, weight and sensitivity to wind. I gave it to family members and it is still going strong. The new Weekenders I've seen have 20k btu aluminium burners instead of the 30k ci burners like my old one.

I like the Everest, it's wind resistant, simmers well, and makes me want to back away from it on high burn. Mine has a metal latch, instead of the newer plastic catches.

dcg141
do you recall the i.d. of the compression ring you used on that conversion. And do you have any idea of the w.c. you're running the stove at. I'd like to attempt running the Everest from the low pressure on my camper.

dcg141

Adventurer
After many years with a Weekender I switched to an Everest. My main issues with the Weekender were pack size, weight and sensitivity to wind. I gave it to family members and it is still going strong. The new Weekenders I've seen have 20k btu aluminium burners instead of the 30k ci burners like my old one.

I like the Everest, it's wind resistant, simmers well, and makes me want to back away from it on high burn. Mine has a metal latch, instead of the newer plastic catches.

dcg141
do you recall the i.d. of the compression ring you used on that conversion. And do you have any idea of the w.c. you're running the stove at. I'd like to attempt running the Everest from the low pressure on my camper.
Steve I modified a line from another Camp Chef product and I use an adjustable regulator at the tank. I will try to find the part# I got from them. Its not your standard gas fitting.

Steve_P

Steve I modified a line from another Camp Chef product and I use an adjustable regulator at the tank. I will try to find the part# I got from them. Its not your standard gas fitting.
I bought the flexible regulator hose for the Mountain Stoves from Camp Chef and am thinking about cutting the regulator off the original and using a compression fitting to adapt out to a 3/8 male flare. I was wondering if you recalled the id of the compression collar you used on yours.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
I bought the flexible regulator hose for the Mountain Stoves from Camp Chef and am thinking about cutting the regulator off the original and using a compression fitting to adapt out to a 3/8 female flare. I was wondering if you recalled the id of the compression collar you used on yours.
Oh yea the compression fitting. I will get in out and see.

dcg141

Adventurer
I bought the flexible regulator hose for the Mountain Stoves from Camp Chef and am thinking about cutting the regulator off the original and using a compression fitting to adapt out to a 3/8 male flare. I was wondering if you recalled the id of the compression collar you used on yours.
5/16 Compression

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I don't know what type of fitting you guys a calling a compression fitting but you are not supposed to use compression fittings for gas. flare fittings or pipe fittings only for gas. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles