Isuzu Vehicross

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks to forum member robertdarin for mentioning the Isuzu Vehicross. It appears to be one of the most "off-road ready" vehicles ever sold in USA.

Vehicross.jpg

The Vehicross was designed in 1993 as a show car. 15 years later, its Tonka Toy-like appearance still draws attention.

The Vehicross was sold for three years in USA. About 4100 were sold from 1999 through 2001. MSRP was about $30,000.

AutoTrader.com shows 45 for sale in USA today. Craigslist has about a dozen listings. Prices today range from $6000 to $12,000. Vehicles typically have 90,000 miles.

The Vehicross is based on the Trooper, so it has the Trooper's 3.5L engine and strong axles. Isuzu sold a 2 door version of the Trooper in many countries. Highly modified versions of the Trooper and Vehicross 2 door models were campaigned at the Paris-Dakar Rally, posting class wins on several occasions.

Standard equipment includes

- 3.5 liter V6, 215 hp, 230 lb·ft
- 4 speed Automatic Transmission
- transfer case with low range
- Borg-Warner "Torque on Demand" full time 4WD
- Limited slip? locking? rear differential
- skid plates
- 4-wheel ABS brakes
- remote reservoir shocks
- 16 inch wheels, 5 spoke wheels w/ chrome finish
- 18 inch wheels BORBET CW3 in 2000, 2001
- 245/70SR16 Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires in 1999
- Isuzu 17-spline 10 bolt front differential
- front suspension double wishbones and torsion bars
- Isuzu 26 spline 12-bolt live rear axle, coil springs, four-link
- rear diff is a "3rd member" design like Toyota
- 4.30 gears standard, 4.77? and 5.38 available
- stiff suspension (stiffer than Trooper by 35% in front, 60% in rear)
- Recaro leather sport seats
- ARB lockers available for front and rear

- Fuel economy 13/17 according to EPA test revised in 2008

Starting in 2000, Isuzu offered a 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty.

The Vehicross standard equipment changed a little from year to year. The 1999 models had 16 inch rims, while 18 inch were provided for 2000 and 2001. There was an "Ironman" model, distinguished by white paint and decals, released in 1999 to highlight Isuzu's sponsorship of the Hawaiian triathalon by the same name.

Wheelbase 91.8 in
Length 162.6 in
Width 70.5 in
Height 66.9 in
Ground Clearance 8.4 in.
Curb Weight 3955 lbs.
weight distribution 51/49

cargo space behind front seats 50 cu ft
rear door opens from the right
no remote release for the door, have to unlock with key

The Vehicross's wheelbase is 5 inches shorter than the Amigo, which is based on the Rodeo SUV. The Vehicross has a turning circle of about 34 feet.

All comments and further information about the Vehicross are most welcome. Anyone actually drive one?

Chip Haven

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I have always lusted after that ugly thing. There is a good VX site around with some 4x4 pics if I can find it.

I keep coming back to the Amigo/Rodeo Sport as a more practical vehicle. They only built a few thousand VX's.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I have heard repeatedly that it has some of the most uncomfortable seats ever installed on a truck. But I still sorta want one sometimes.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Recaro leather sport seats SOUNDS comfortable, but you never know until you try them.

I'd say my Tacoma had some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in...

toy_tek

Adventurer
My cousin had one - he let me borrow it for a few days while I drove around Vermont about 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I didn't take notes for a review, nor did I get a chance to do any off-pavement driving. I do recall it being fairly peppy on the hills around Stowe. It is excrutiatingly small and I found it difficult for even two people to load bags in the back seat, not to mention shoehorn a third person back there. The seats were pretty stiff as I recall... cool looking but I'm not sure I would want to drive 1000 miles in it. Also rear visibility was somewhat hindered as well.

Other than that, cool vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles