Update on Custom Grille Project

MattJ

Adventurer
Ready for primer and then painting to match an OEM JKU body color. I'm debating whether to do the first photo shoot with a white or red JKU (or some other color). Any suggestions? I will also need a steel mesh backing. I was planning to try flat black and grey steel to see which looks better.

y4mqPlTU3eAVqz88ZCe_OLWzmLLEuIXt5uR8Ky5HlZw1TJHDx7Z9pSN8Gefe6sdASeK4epFvF_9whL3tAyFJEqJ-SdlyICp4x8_kYPPQVQEG5gDujDtULxnmlawX-cPfxErP7CGrPfFKBtVKxBIK17wEeQNSqueoMjxzZ0HHfkhOsGkKxL06CMUXB8awL4QCph5iIxFUpzub0bRILXfy6KJHQ

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Ready for primer and then painting to match an OEM JKU body color. I'm debating whether to do the first photo shoot with a white or red JKU (or some other color). Any suggestions? I will also need a steel mesh backing. I was planning to try flat black and grey steel to see which looks better.

y4mqPlTU3eAVqz88ZCe_OLWzmLLEuIXt5uR8Ky5HlZw1TJHDx7Z9pSN8Gefe6sdASeK4epFvF_9whL3tAyFJEqJ-SdlyICp4x8_kYPPQVQEG5gDujDtULxnmlawX-cPfxErP7CGrPfFKBtVKxBIK17wEeQNSqueoMjxzZ0HHfkhOsGkKxL06CMUXB8awL4QCph5iIxFUpzub0bRILXfy6KJHQ

A red grill would open up the options for screen color, which could highlight the teeth.
Black, silver, white, etc. would all go with the red grill.

Onaplin

Hey Matt, are you going to do any pictures without the mesh? I think it will look good with the mesh, but I'd like to see it without mesh, just to see how it looks.

MattJ

Adventurer
I can certainly try a few photos without the mesh. But I worry that the grille needs the mesh for protection since the teeth are wider than the factory slots:

y4mED5Pd0zOHjzsAXhxFHSo67hIji-pKl_dk96IxJZ23wVbYH56oCAFW5ZE71GmXwxBgh5iTlUdq8RA5cbf6TUg3kPuwbxWQ2oeEQwkOSdcjnsksbaNgTkQzvDV__SfEtnQxyvhgsvkG-gdkFEgLRhBGkya5aH7o_xeC8y-ZCDh5DzwfulUJ6DKVjVQ8Wg_OUT03aD9otyfr2rkuSg90OXMgA

MattJ

Adventurer
It's just simple fiberboard and cardboard. If the design photographs well and looks good with the various colors of mesh, then the REAL work starts. I'll need to work with a custom fabricator to get a mold master made and an estimate of costs to produce the grille in fiberglass or molded plastic. The easy part of this project (Photoshop) ended months ago!

MattJ

Adventurer
Prototype has been primed and is ready for painting. Also testing the fit with angry eyes and mesh backing.

y4mqr4IitFCqWsw693j5Sw7m-k8uVDjOgnh9YdiljghsyCAum7WVXbZPEp2ZmA2zOv95zIBrHyC3MLXNnehKuB-4BIfGpPUofQ_hULOKkmXo_wEDQv9khLRcdO3uopKnicPZNHDABflDOEKDroGsO8x0FwOVYsa_ztUwbIVj4TV66nBKD8hd2g4sxw52Pjiey4kJvZEjYuUpvrR-cAwZTlWRw

y4mI0zabE39OWw7AE45km4KCqCKidRBj_fF13IdesZ5qdHf1qPHxIeNUFH_sslW_P-cckfaoTYyaJqmHWTPkv9NaeiDqTnBG6aVUS3hlkNK1ijROSvhlAIJJElqBJvhYb8kwqAfg4DWRUekYwaYobn1hNOHtT67XI5xiM-4uRiRAFzwZd9uoglKXXDpeyBHeoSO49qy1WXrt_U6EJUFRpZx1g

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice work Matt.

Yeah the mesh really helps with bugs and thick mud. Plus it hides all the stuff behind the grill.

On one of the mesh screens it might be fun to do some of it in gold color.
For that Hip-Hop monsta look... ;)

akpostal

Adventurer
Coming along, looks good. Can you get pics without the angry eyes?

ETA: Looks like it would improve air into the engine compartment. No eyes or logo I might think about it on my jeep.

MattJ

Adventurer
Thanks - I didn't take any photos before we installed the angry eyes, but I can certainly do that. I think upgraded turn signal lights would help too.

I really like how this grille looks on the Rubicon Hard Rock edition. It seems to match the aggressive bumper styling perfectly.

Onaplin

Looks great Matt, you ought try some red mesh to compliment the tow hooks on the hard rock bumper. Just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles