2005 Sprinter built-out adventuremobile - Obi Van Kenobi - California

duriandirtbag

Selling my much beloved adventure van - living & working in San Francisco now, and can't use it as much anymore.

00y0y_cOFCQ8nc710_1200x900.jpg00L0L_2Cpdga2zjJH_1200x900.jpg00Y0Y_2Q0mLR04lSr_1200x900.jpg00K0K_34IFEb9D1xb_1200x900.jpg

This is a 2005 Sprinter, in perfect engine health. Just last week I changed the torque transfer box and OMG does it run smoothly now. It was doing just fine before, too, but now it's like the wind. His name is Obi Van Kenobi, and he's served me well for many thousands of miles. This summer my partner and I took Obi on a cross-country roadtrip from Boston to SF that totaled 9700 miles, and it held up like a champ. This used to be a passenger van for a storage company in New York, and when I got it it had rows of seats in the back and a rather ugly headliner deal - we totally redid the inside.

We gutted everything out from the van, installed hardwood flooring, put on solar panels (2 100W panels on the roof) and a large capacity inverter (3 kW) so that you can run all your 110V electronics and the included microwave and heater no problem. There are super large auxiliary house batteries rated at 12V 200Ah, if you know anything about van builds you'll know this is plenty of storage capacity. We also installed eucalyptus wood counters and a full running sink and electric water pump, so that you can wash and fill up water from the 5 gallon tanks underneath. The van also has a shower set up on the back door that can unfold and provide a staggering amount of water to shower with, see pictures for reference.

We decided we wanted the bed to be large and super comfy, so we put in a full mattress - it's extremely comfortable, and I am including the mattress in the sale. The super large bed and huge opening counter space means that you have all the storage space for whatever you might need underneath it - I'm including several storage bins as well, so you can put all sorts of massive or not-so-massive things under there. Speaking of storage, there's also a very large overhead rack that we used for clothing, and a set of sliding drawers under the counter by the microwave (also included) that can house toiletries and little trinkets. The van has a curtain rod with special black-out curtains in the front so that nobody can look in from the front windshield and see what you're up to. But there are windows on all sides of the van, you'll scream in protest! Ah, these windows are coated with a special layer of vinyl, and it is absolutely impossible to see what's going on inside of the van from the outside, even in broad daylight! You can't even tell they're windows, just looks like printing on metal from the outside. The vinyl was put on by the moving company that used to operate the van back in the day, and we loved this one-way deal so much we didn't even bother removing the cover when we were renovating. Massive stealth points, too - you can park anywhere at any time and people just assume you're moving your stuff from a building. It's great.

If you plan on traveling in this thing you should also know that it's super good on diesel compared to pretty much anything else that's this big - Obi Van Kenobi gets 20 mpg on highway and around 18 in city use. Plus it's a Mercedes diesel engine, and the Sprinter engines easily run 500,000 miles - it's like a tank! There are some cosmetic things that come with a 2005 car, all seen in the pictures, but nothing serious. We've taken this car into desert and jungle, in rain and snow, on rock and on soil and on the hellish Playa dust of Burning Man and it's survived just fine, hope you'll do more of that yourself!

So, here's a quick list of all the awesomeness:
- fully functional and running sprinter van, with cruise control and ABS
- turbocharged diesel engine with great fuel economy
- full size bed, super comfy mattress, all included
- storage space for DAYS - enough to fit anything you might ever need while living in the van, times 3
- great solar setup! 200W of free power all day every day
- huge powerful inverter to run all your 120V gadgets and utilities
- huge additional battery bank of 200Ah, supplying enough reserve power for anything
- fully functional microwave!
- fully functional sink, including an electric water pump
- eucalyptus hardwood floors and countertop, very pleasant wood
- awesome one-way privacy glass, you can literally stare at somebody a foot away and they won't see you inside
- the much famed fan-tastic fan in the roof of the van for fresh air, includes an automatic rain detection and closing feature
- a freaking fold-out shower!
- 2 air-conditioning units, one up front for the driver and one custom one installed above the bed from the days this was a passenger van
- super bright after-market LED floodbar installed on the hood for unparalleled amount of light at night, turns on with the high-beams
- secure ignition setup, it is literally impossible to hijack this van, you'd need to rip out half of the engine and change the computer to start this car without a key. Trust me, I lost my key once, had to tow the van to a dealer so they could program a new radiochip key.
- I'm including lots of storage and organization things to make your move to a moving van easier (see what I did there?)
- Obi Van Kenobi also has a rear-view camera so even though you can see in all directions from inside the van, you can park easier
- power steering is great, that goes without saying I guess
- comes with all the electronics (even the night light lamp!), the safety and service manuals, and a spare tire

I'm asking $25000 for the van and everything else installed in it. It's a great deal, given a lot of the other sprinters like this one sell for that without any mods at all. As I mentioned above, there are some minor cosmetic things you'll see in any 2005 van, but the car runs great, brakes are great, the tires are pretty much new (see picture) and are very adventure-friendly (high-load type). I hope this goes to somebody who is fed up with paying ridiculous rent and wants some freedom and adventure in their lives. Price is negotiable depending on your circumstances.

If you're interested, please text me at: (408) 620-6456

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles