ON the fly adjustable shocks

mtnblue

Observer
I love these things in my '95 SR, but some day they will have to be replaced. Does anyone make replacements for them that adjust like the originals. I'm afraid to ask how much.

nckwltn

Explorer
I ditched the adjustable for a set of 4600 bilsteins. Have been out on 2 trips with them... They are great!

Four wheel drive parts had a special if you buy 4 shocks.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I really like the adjustable shocks...I use them here and there and they do make a difference in ride depending on the terrain. I don't plan to do any lift on my Gen 2.5...but would be nice if there was a aftermarket option. Though I won't lie..when its time to replace mine, I may debate the cost of replacing them with new OEM adjustable shocks or Bilsteins.

mtnblue

Observer
I guess the time has come for me to make the decision Mrgalantguy is talking about. Looks like the OEM's run $300+ each (ouch!) and the 4600 bilstein's are around $500 for a set. Can I get further discussion from you guys on why I should just go with the Bilstein's instead (other than cost?). I like the coolness of the adjustables, but honestly, for the last 4 months that I have owned the Monty, I haven't moved the switch from the middle position. What would be the instances I would "need" the variablity of the adjustables to convince me to pay the extra money?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I guess the time has come for me to make the decision Mrgalantguy is talking about. Looks like the OEM's run $300+ each (ouch!) and the 4600 bilstein's are around $500 for a set. Can I get further discussion from you guys on why I should just go with the Bilstein's instead (other than cost?). I like the coolness of the adjustables, but honestly, for the last 4 months that I have owned the Monty, I haven't moved the switch from the middle position. What would be the instances I would "need" the variablity of the adjustables to convince me to pay the extra money?

You don't need them.

mtnblue

Observer
So Bilsteins it is.... is there any way to re-pourpose the onboard air compressor? Like make a external air chuck to air back up the tires after I let the air out? Also, any idea of who may have them in stock, to ship out today?

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The onboard compressor isn't for the shocks, it's for the rear locker. It's not high volume, so you won't want to try to use it for anything.

Try Adventure Driven Design for the shocks.

mtnblue

Observer
Yeah, Duh on the air compressor.... (the shocks are electronic) ...Thanks Swank.... Apparently ADD isn't around today.... I guess I have to wait until next week. Thanks

mtnblue

Observer
It looks like plan B is an order, bilstein apparently is backordered on the montero shocks until March of this year. So, does anybody have any suggestions for decent shocks for mainly highway use an occaisional off road, other than bilstein. I wanna pretty reasonable ride but if I go off road, not fast I want to be able to cover that too

PacS14

Adventurer
I have the monomax, 33" KO2's and I've had back surgery and still don't think they are harsh. To each their own, check the online price at AutoZone, limited lifetime warranty, plus side is the 20% off plus gift card they offer most of the times.

plh

Explorer
It looks like plan B is an order, bilstein apparently is backordered on the montero shocks until March of this year. So, does anybody have any suggestions for decent shocks for mainly highway use an occaisional off road, other than bilstein. I wanna pretty reasonable ride but if I go off road, not fast I want to be able to cover that too

Backordered?

B6 4600 24-017947 (front) https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-017947-4600-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU4EDU

B6 4600 24-017954 (rear) https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-017954-4600-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU5QKU

They would get to me by Jan 9, not sure where you live...

That being said, I have KYB Gas-A-Just on my '93 and they are pretty reasonably good especially for around $135 for a set of 4. Rock Auto usually has good prices.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles