Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Riddle

Is that spec something that would change over time? Or only something that needs to be checked when installing a new master? I replaced the original OEM master and pedal didn't get better or worse.

That is something that needs to be checked any time you replace the brake booster or the master cylinder since it sets the relationship between the brake booster rod and the master cylinder piston.

Quote Originally Posted by Eljefe View Post
    That is something that needs to be checked any time you replace the brake booster or the master cylinder since it sets the relationship between the brake booster rod and the master cylinder piston.
    Ok, so if no change in feel whatsoever between old oem original master and new master, somewhat safe to ASSume i could move that to the back of the list of things to check, since the master cylinder is a huge pain in the *** on this truck?

I had mine power bled by a mechanic yesterday, the brake is better but still not as good. Even though it was power bled, it still feels a lil spongy but if i tap it cycle the brake pedal, the stopping power is better the second time i press it in quick succession.

That tells me there is still air in system or not? even though It was power bled.
    Gen 2.5 Montero Endevor
    E46 M3
    2007 Acura MDX
    1987 Honda Super Magna
    Royal Enfield 500
    ZRX 1200R

Iíd replace the flex lines. If you have no history on them, donít risk it. And even if they arenít visibly worn, over the length of them and x4, a little bit of expansion could contribute to your problem. Youíve replaced everything else. Plus itís a safety issue.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Is there something about these trucks that make them prone to flex line failure?

By and large, this is one of the newest and lowest mile vehicles i've ever had, and i've never had any sort of flex line issue in any of the 25-30 vehicles i've owned prior.

https://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/t...ng-brake-lines

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...lines-upgrade/

It's just something that I don't gamble on. They are cheap. I did mine as I replaced calipers, that way it wasn't causing me extra work. I have a car that I run at the track and when I hit 10 years with it I replaced them during some other brake work. There was a noticeable improvement in brake response. The kind of problem you can have with them is not one you want.

The whip test described in the second link is the most interesting to me.
    Last edited by Salonika; 12-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

I'm not ruling it out, but i also don't like throwing parts at things. When i inspected them with my wife going ham on the pedal, there wasnt any of the symptoms they said to look for.

That said... I'm guessing i need extended ones anyways with an ADD suspension lift and a 2" body lift. So maybe it's time for some stainless stuff.

I need to really test the booster. Pedal feel changing with rpm seems like it should tell me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Salonika View Post
    https://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/t...ng-brake-lines

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...lines-upgrade/

It's just something that I don't gamble on. They are cheap. I did mine as I replaced calipers, that way it wasn't causing me extra work. I have a car that I run at the track and when I hit 10 years with it I replaced them during some other brake work. There was a noticeable improvement in brake response. The kind of problem you can have with them is not one you want.

The whip test described in the second link is the most interesting to me.
    I have a set of soft line sitting will do after Christmas and report back.
    Gen 2.5 Montero Endevor
    E46 M3
    2007 Acura MDX
    1987 Honda Super Magna
    Royal Enfield 500
    ZRX 1200R

Wanted to update this thread, I kept driving it with soft pedals, drove from MD to AZ (was moving). Off course driving very cautiously maintaining like 10 car length distance from others on hwy. After about 1000 miles of driving using the pump method to stiffen it....... the brake fixed itself, softness and sinking pedal is gone! Go figure.

Still have to put in new soft lines.
    Gen 2.5 Montero Endevor
    E46 M3
    2007 Acura MDX
    1987 Honda Super Magna
    Royal Enfield 500
    ZRX 1200R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12