locking latch ideas/suggestions?

wandererr

Adventurer
Any suggestions on a latch to pull the door in tight to the trailer? I need to have it tight s that I can establish the weatherproof seal.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Does it need to seal tight when used for camping or just when running down the road?

Do you need it to be able to be opened from the inside and outside?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A photo of the door you're trying to latch might help generate suggestions that would work for your situation.

wandererr

Adventurer
So the door is accessible only from the outside only. It has to be fully weather secure while driving and partially weather secure while camping (think rainy night)

Here's the pic of how the door looks

LujTkRI.jpg

9upxXAK.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just implemented a latch on a camper top I'm making for my Jeep-tub trailer, here's what I used. This one has a knob on the inside, which you wouldn't need. (Ignore the hinges). Lots of these are on ebay, here's one without the inside knob that should work for your application: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toolbox-Lo...938109?hash=item41c2ac2dfd:g:8VwAAOSw5UZY94b8

DoorHardware_zpsukgzojhd.jpg

Installed:

TestFit2g_zpsdxdj40mj.jpg

TestFit2h_zpstzn5kgum.jpg

It's a slam latch, which means you can slam the door and it will latch, no need to hold the latch open while closing. To facilitate the slam action and provide a striker to hold the door snug against the door jamb, I used a striker plate from an ordinary household door. I don't have a photo of that handy but will take one if you think this is a way you might want to go.

BTW can't tell if there's any flex in your door, but if there might be then you might want to put two latches in, one towards the top and one towards the bottom. Or reinforce the door with a rib on the inside to prevent flex.

WOODY2

Adventurer
FWIW you are probably going to find it a challenge to weatherproof it. It looks like it will flex and not be able to be pulled tight enough around the entire perimeter, latch and hinge areas should work though. A rain drip edge above the door would help.

FWIW you are probably going to find it a challenge to weatherproof it. It looks like it will flex and not be able to be pulled tight enough around the entire perimeter, latch and hinge areas should work though. A rain drip edge above the door would help.

I second the rain drip edge above it. Most enclosed trailers have that same type of door, and they use the hinged bar that folds over and pulls the door tight. To try and ensure the seal is tight, you might want to go with a very thick weather strip, like the rubber ones used on enclosed trailers.1057-700x700.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles