Southern Utah Traverse October 2017

Buttermilkbiscuit

Your photos capture the spectacularness of these places. Question:Roughly how much of your average day's time was spent driving? Trying to get a feel for how much time is spent in the vehicle each day over the ten days of such a trip.

I have to say, those are the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen on EP. Thank you so much for sharing them. Just wonderful!!!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Buttermilkbiscuit

Your photos capture the spectacularness of these places. Question:Roughly how much of your average day's time was spent driving? Trying to get a feel for how much time is spent in the vehicle each day over the ten days of such a trip.

I honestly made much more of the 12 days than driving.

I hiked about 40 miles. So that added about 3-4 days to the trip. But for the rest of the days I drove about 5-8 hours per day.

Buttermilkbiscuit

Nice report.

Do you have a map of the routes you took? Can you be more specific about how your vehicle wasn't up to the task for some bits?

I just followed the routes I decided to take listed in the Utah road atlas.

I do have a gpx. I converted it to kml, to give an idea of my travels to load into Google maps for reference. But GM will only load a kml of 5MB or less, my kml is over five times that size. But my gpx is going to say off the internet for the reasons I listed..

I uploaded two pictures of Kane Springs Rd. With a steep dry waterfall needing to be accomplished to continue the route. My truck has a 122" wheel base and a minimum 3" ifs lift, plus I was solo and a little beyond my means to self-spot so I didn't attempt it.
But that was the only impassable section on the complete route.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Great trip report via pictures. Looks like you found the goods:). It was a good winter read, can't wait for spring:).

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
wow- I am so glad I looked at thins on my computer and not my phone- I would have missed how amazing your photos were! Thank you for sharing

cbmontgo

Observer
I'm curious where the dry waterfall was on Kane Springs Road. Is it near the start of Lockhart Basin Road?

Beautiful pics. My favorite part of the country.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Excellent pictures, lots of my favorite trips have been in those same spots, pretty cool to do it all in one go! Thanks for sharing!:sombrero:

jerryg

Excellent pictures what model camera did you use? Are they a single exposure are multi shot combined to get so much detail?
Thanks for taking us along. (in pictures)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The past three years I have made fall trips to the same areas and recognize just about every photo location. In fact I could duplicate many but yours are better as mine are iPhone. Thanks for not detailing every location.

Ace

Buttermilkbiscuit

Man those photos are incredible. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you sir, glad you enjoyed them.

Great trip report via pictures. Looks like you found the goods:). It was a good winter read, can't wait for spring:).
Hope I have time to go back in the spring. And actually see what the North Rim's all about while I'm in the area. :)

wow- I am so glad I looked at thins on my computer and not my phone- I would have missed how amazing your photos were! Thank you for sharing
Thank you, glad you enjoyed them.

I'm curious where the dry waterfall was on Kane Springs Road. Is it near the start of Lockhart Basin Road?

Beautiful pics. My favorite part of the country.

That's probably a mile down Kane Springs Rd from the 163. Glad you enjoyed them.

Excellent pictures, lots of my favorite trips have been in those same spots, pretty cool to do it all in one go! Thanks for sharing!:sombrero:

It was a great trip. Very beautiful country.

Excellent pictures what model camera did you use? Are they a single exposure are multi shot combined to get so much detail?
Thanks for taking us along. (in pictures)

Thanks Jerry, glad you enjoyed them. I use a budget Canon M3 and Canon M. Pretty much the only lenses used on the trip were a Canon 18-55mm, 11-22mm and a Rokinon 8mm Fisheye. All the pictures were single exposure RAW. Adobe Lightroom was used in post processing of all the pictures (bringing out /adding detail to them).

The past three years I have made fall trips to the same areas and recognize just about every photo location. In fact I could duplicate many but yours are better as mine are iPhone. Thanks for not detailing every location.

Ace

Thank you Ace, happy you agree.

Motafinga

Adventurer
Excellent photos, southern Utah really is amazing. My lady, dog and I did a few of the places on your route after spending Xmas in Santa Fe NM traveling back to California. We found zero need to visit the overcrowded, anti-dog National Parks as there is sooo much off the beaten path to explore out there. I can't wait to spend more time there again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles