Wiggy's Sleeping Bags

sargeek

Adventurer
Threw this into the adventure clothing thread, but thought a specific thread would be a better place.

Does anyone have experiences with Wiggy's Sleeping Bags? They seem to be used in the military community - nothing super fancy, but solid equipment.

Fame or Fad, or thoughts - a -60F bag for $350 does not seem super crazy.

WIGGY's https://www.wiggys.com/

antarticmummy2__51505.1430852380.310.310.jpg

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
I used that system in the Army, its a good system, you might try to find a surplus system. They can be found brand new for less than that 3 part system you listed and the military version comes with a gore-tex bivy bag as well.

Westy

Adventurer
I've been using a Wiggys bag for a few years now. Tough bags, will last a long long time. Made in Colorado, they are no frills just quality material, zippers and I certainly recommend. Not light bags. I thought for the price they were a great value considering the material and construction vs other brands.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I have several Wiggy's products (though no sleeping bags). All of the products that I have are stellar, and the customer service is outstanding. If you have an issue, Wiggy himself will talk to you about it.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
Keep in mind that Mil-Spec bags have to be ID-10-T proof. We were not all that friendly to that gear. Virtually maintenance free, aside from washing after field exercises, I have never had any issues with the Army sleep system.

SigSense

Adventurer
I used the Wiggy's system in the military also. Basic, tough, quality, and reliable. I must admit it is not light. Still have the one issued to me in the early 90s.

CCH

Adventurer
I have owned several Wiggy's. On the positive side, they are durable and U.S. made. However they are VERY heavy for the warmth provided and I would take the temperature ratings with several grains of salt. Not a fan at the price they ask, especially if lightweight or compact factor into your criteria.

Mgyver1

Observer
I absolutely love my Wiggy’s bags, can’t say enough about them. I have two 0 degree rectangular ones zipped together as one big bag in my RTT and have stayed warm down in to the high 20’s (coldest I’ve been in them so far).

I also have the 35 degree overbag that I use for backpacking. I haven’t used it very much but in the 55 degree cave I was in it kept me toasty. I love the fact that you can wash them as much as you want. In fact the directions say to wash it to help keep the loft up.

I’m glad there’s still one company out there in the US making sleeping bags and they are very high quality. Like everyone else has said, they’re pretty simple no-frills and a solid construction. And you can get them in REAL camouflage colors like MARPAT or Multicam, if you’re in to that sort of thing.

Freebird

Adventurer
Wiggy's bags are GREAT..... if weight is not an issue.
Their under sleeping bag Ground Pad is absolutely awesome as a THERMAL BARRIER against cold ground or cold air mattress.
They zip together to keep them under the sleeping bags that zip together too.
They are on SALE now.

I used to have a purple Wiggy's bag, no idea what model. Thing was heavy as heck, used that synthetic fill that doesn't compress, and rolled up it was the size of a small umpa lumpa. It was a -35 degree bag but my wife never found it to be warm enough (that could be very subjective). Very durable, good zippers as others have mentioned, but it was so big and heavy I had no interest in ever using it.

krax

Adventurer
I absolutely love my Wiggy's bags, can't say enough about them. I have two 0 degree rectangular ones zipped together as one big bag in my RTT and have stayed warm down in to the high 20's (coldest I've been in them so far).

I also have the 35 degree overbag that I use for backpacking. I haven't used it very much but in the 55 degree cave I was in it kept me toasty. I love the fact that you can wash them as much as you want. In fact the directions say to wash it to help keep the loft up.

I'm glad there's still one company out there in the US making sleeping bags and they are very high quality. Like everyone else has said, they're pretty simple no-frills and a solid construction. And you can get them in REAL camouflage colors like MARPAT or Multicam, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Western Mountaineering also sells US-made sleeping bags. Some of the best, actually.

Freebird

Adventurer
Wiggy's now have their ground pads on SPECIAL !
They perform VERY well as a thermal barrier.
Fantastic, in fact, considering the insulation is being compressed by body weight!

See, and explore his web site.

fj40_nut

The only bag I have...my wife and I purchased one in 1997. After some wear an tear Wiggy replaced it free of charge in 2012. Needless to say the whole family has a Wiggy bag.

SnowedIn

Observer
I own six of these bags and a bunch of other bits like mitts, blankets, etc. Got my first couple of bags ~15 years ago. All of our daily drivers have a bag in them full-time.

The black military bags seem to have a bit more durable liner material than the new Marpat bags, but that might just be me.

The outstanding part about these bags is how they don't accumulate ice in the insulation, how you can go to bed damp and wake up dry, and how amenable they are to machine washing. They are not the lightest and they don't compact as well as other bags, but they do what they do very consistently across any sort of conditions.

The owner is a unique character (not in a bad way, mind you) but he makes stuff that works.

doug720

Expedition Leader
We have 3 Wiggy bags and love them.

I use an over size rectangular when solo and have been comfortable on many nights that were well below 10f. We zip a pair of oversize rectangulars together and sleep warm and comfortable. If you want to zip together, order left and rights so the flaps work together.

They may be heavy, but we use them for vehicle camping, so no issues.

I have a military complete sleep set including outert cover also. It's warm, but I'm over mummy bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles