08 JKUR 200K miles for 12k. Is that a good deal?

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If the present owner/Dodge has good maintenance records and/or a record of engine replacement--

Assurance that the 4hi/4lo works---that the lockers work--that's a decent price, but

At this time in 2017, you could get a good deal on a safer 2016/17 RUBY-

Buying that '08 for 12k could be an expensive garage ornament--that's a great mileage achievement, but it's time for restoring !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I always stressed the quality and longevity of my '08 JKUR, but

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=472209170&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

I am not sure if this is a good deal, or just avg considering the milage? I asked in the classified section, but no one answered, so i thought i would try here.

thanks in advance.

@hpierce301

You've yet to say how it is you're going to pay for that jeep.. Let's assume for a moment that you just happen to have 12k (like we did) to use as a down payment on a new 2016, 2017 or even 2018 JK wrangler.. Your payments would be around 300.00 a month again assuming your credit is good. IF you're planning on making payments on a used 2008, this would be a bad idea.. you'll end up paying more for something that might not last as long as you would have hoped. Sure it's a jeep and you'll see plenty with 200K miles on them, Hell even the dealership tried to sell us one.. So do you're self a favor and do as Jimbo said..

TrailBadger has some solid, logical points and, no matter the quality of any US auto engine/tranny---when you get them to last 200k miles !!!-things are just wearing out and it's gonna be time for restoration/replacement/$$$$--

Mind your "P"s and "Q"s-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

BigBad408

Observer
@hpierce301

You've yet to say how it is you're going to pay for that jeep.. Let's assume for a moment that you just happen to have 12k (like we did) to use as a down payment on a new 2016, 2017 or even 2018 JK wrangler.. Your payments would be around 300.00 a month again assuming your credit is good. IF you're planning on making payments on a used 2008, this would be a bad idea.. you'll end up paying more for something that might not last as long as you would have hoped. Sure it's a jeep and you'll see plenty with 200K miles on them, Hell even the dealership tried to sell us one.. So do you're self a favor and do as Jimbo said..

What he said. 200K is worn out. I don't care how well it's maintained.

Hoghead

Observer
There is an important question to be asked here. How are you going to use it? Is it your daily driver or a toy? If it's your daily drive, how long is your commute. I drive a 2001 Tahoe with over 300k every day and I drive over 60 miles round trip. Cash or credit is also a deciding factor. You can do a lot of repairs for $300 to $400 dollars a month.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
It sounds like a pretty good deal but it really depends on your intended usage. If it's a DD... then my goodness check it over. If it's a toy, then I honestly don't know, check over what you don't want to replace.

hpierce301

Adventurer
it would be a dd, i would trade in my xj, that i got with 215K and now has like 260K on it, and it looks and drives great. i wouldn't want to finance much, even if i had to add cash to the deal.

i just don't hear positive stories about jeep motors other than the 4.0 that i have.

i may just stick with what i have for now.

Have one

I have one it has a 167000 on it the thing about the 08is that for the original owner it has a limited power train warranty for life. So if the seller kept his warranty intact By having it checked by the dealer then major issues were taken care of. Also it is very important to put an auxiliary trans cooler on it I did after my trans went at 75000 since then pretty much flawless. Funny thing is when the trans went it was very subtle just making a little. Lise. They couldn’t figure it out so they put nes front and rear drive shafts on it. The dealer say that the old 3.8 v6 is a push rod design and pretty much bullet proof if under powered. So in my view 12 k is a pretty good deal I’ll be selling mine soon too

vs_jk

I've had my 08 JKU for 10 years now and it has 117k miles on it. Honestly, I'm surprised by it's reliability. Before I had it, I had Honda's that were also purchased new. My JKU is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned! I realize that not everyone has such good luck with the early JK's. But if it's been maintained decently, it could be a good vehicle even with 200k. Just have the ball joints, tie rod ends, and drag link ends checked over for excessive wear. These will need to be replaced if worn. I know some JK 3.8L engines burn oil although mine doesn't. That would be another thing to check.

Hoghead

Observer
They're all overpriced. 12k is about as cheap as I have seen a Rubi. I've seen the TJ rubi's go for more than that. My $0.02, keep your XJ and by this as a toy. Dealer is not going to give you anything for your XJ anyway. Then you have two to choose from if one lays down on you. Also, if your dealing with a car lot, cut them down on price, way down. I'd want it no more than 10k

There are reasons

That JK rubicons retain their value.
They are insanley popular becasue they can go anywhere and do anything just about. I have driven mine where i could barely walk
you can do anything to them there are tons of aftermarket support tons of clubs an people to share with or just go an adventure alone.
They are fun to drive take the top of cruise by so cal beaches with your board in the back, the lake or waht ever then out to the desert or mountains to get away form it all
very few rides come with front and rear lockers theold FJ80 is a greta example but toyota slowly transformed it into a mall crawler and on 20 year old fj80 still sells for some big bucks 6-12
There is a certian comradery that only comes with Jeeps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles