Am I just outdated?

Mitch502

Explorer
So, my wife has a 2006 Hemi WK , and we like it. However, it's went into limp mode for the second time in 6 months and won't come out. After scanning it, the code is for shift solenoid a, which is the same solenoid pack I replaced literally less than 6 months ago, and well under 10,000 miles ago.

Between this and a starter replacement, I've realized A) how hard it is to work on B) how expensive it is C) how it seems all the newer stuff is over complicated.

Am I outdated in my thinking like an old man? Do I need to accept the reality that the era of cars I'm used to (2004 and earlier or so for most vehicles) are a thing of the past and I might not be able to do everything myself anymore without spending money on certain tools? I have never paid a mechanic for anything more than an alignment... But this solenoid issue has me wondering if it's worth taking it to the dealer for diagnosis since I don't want to believe it's a part I spent quite a bit of money on not long ago... (the part is warrantied, but the fluid is not of course)

Just curious how everyone else skirts the line between luxury / reliability and ease/cost of maintenance

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I agree. They are more and more diffficult and expensive. I think it is primarily a learning curve. I remember when I didn't think fuel injection was worth the trouble. lol.

I would try a transmission shop before the dealer.

BigBad408

Observer
I don't think you're out dated. Last year my 2001 Honda Accord, 2000 Ford Excursion and my wife's 2004 Tahoe were all sold and a 2016 Volvo XC90 and 2017 JKU entered our lives. I'm terrified of them...especially the Volvo. There wasn't anything I wasn't capable of fixing on our previous cars but they were WORN. It was time for new vehicles. The Volvo doesn't even have a dipstick! Sadly...I say take it to the dealer or a reputable trans shop and at least see what they have to say.... We've entered the world where event he most mechanically inclined of us are out of our depth when it comes to new vehicles...because mechanisms are gone and computers are in.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I don't think you're out dated. Last year my 2001 Honda Accord, 2000 Ford Excursion and my wife's 2004 Tahoe were all sold and a 2016 Volvo XC90 and 2017 JKU entered our lives. I'm terrified of them...especially the Volvo. There wasn't anything I wasn't capable of fixing on our previous cars but they were WORN. It was time for new vehicles. The Volvo doesn't even have a dipstick! Sadly...I say take it to the dealer or a reputable trans shop and at least see what they have to say.... We've entered the world where event he most mechanically inclined of us are out of our depth when it comes to new vehicles...because mechanisms are gone and computers are in.

Wow... you made some good upgrades though!

Old isn't completely out as some thing's are simply mechanical and will, most likely, be for the foreseeable future. However... when it comes to electronics and AC... I take in to someone more knowledgeable than me. It's the price to pay for the modern technological advantages... FI, ABS, AC, yadda.

Mitch502

Explorer
We are considering selling the WK with 101K miles as we are skittish of it now. I am not confident that I can fix anything on it now...Looking for an older vehicle (Tahoes/Yukons/etc) I am 100% confident I can fix anything on them.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't diagnose some of this stuff...I guess I could spend $100 on a FSM with the diagnostic steps for my trouble codes...but that's not even a guarantee...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
"Am I Just Outdated?"

Yes!

It's tough gettin old!

Were did you learn to work on "Old" cars (2004 and older your words)?

Might be time to go back to that same school and learn about new cars.

I am sure you are going to tell us you were self taught when it comes to workin on old vehicles just like most of us here.

Goin back to school when you get old sure is tough.

Even more so when you gotta do it by yourself just like ya did the first time!

Mitch502

Explorer
"Am I Just Outdated?"

Yes!

It's tough gettin old!

Were did you learn to work on "Old" cars (2004 and older your words)?

Might be time to go back to that same school and learn about new cars.

I am sure you are going to tell us you were self taught when it comes to workin on old vehicles just like most of us here.

Goin back to school when you get old sure is tough.

Even more so when you gotta do it by yourself just like ya did the first time!

My dad was a GM Master Tech for a long time, and a mechanic for 25 years professionally, and is still always working on something....I learned the basics from him, and went on from there using the internet and experiences.

I have a Master's degree in IT...lol. I spent long enough in school...no going back for a hobby at 28 years old....maybe in retirement :)

I feel like it's not that I don't know how to do the work, it's that I need special tools to diagnose it, and then the parts are outrageously expensive now with all the new electronics...there is no "fix it", there is only "replace it"

paroxysym

Adventurer
nope I couldn't agree more man.... honestly I sold my modded 2007 WK for a 2001 XJ. granted I took the WK to 195k(stock starter, no shift solenoid issues, etc lol) and bought a 2001 XJ with 130k simply because I wanted something more simplistic, less technology and less complicated repairs. I knew I wanted to stay in a jeep, needed 4 doors and I always liked the Cherokee. couldn't be happier- I miss my factory remote start and heated seats in the WK, but ill get something newer sooner or later and I will have a lengthy factory warranty. I owned the WK for almost 7 years, the last 3 years of ownership proved to me just how overly complicated repairs could be on that thing.. honestly to save myself from breaking more expensive parts during repairs on the WK I started paying for the repairs to be done, plus I just got tired of laying under the damn thing.

Mitch502

Explorer
nope I couldn't agree more man.... honestly I sold my modded 2007 WK for a 2001 XJ. granted I took the WK to 195k(stock starter, no shift solenoid issues, etc lol) and bought a 2001 XJ with 130k simply because I wanted something more simplistic, less technology and less complicated repairs. I knew I wanted to stay in a jeep, needed 4 doors and I always liked the Cherokee. couldn't be happier- I miss my factory remote start and heated seats in the WK, but ill get something newer sooner or later and I will have a lengthy factory warranty. I owned the WK for almost 7 years, the last 3 years of ownership proved to me just how overly complicated repairs could be on that thing.. honestly to save myself from breaking more expensive parts during repairs on the WK I started paying for the repairs to be done, plus I just got tired of laying under the damn thing.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who just wants simplicity. I don't see how anyone could use a new vehicle to travel for overlanding...if it breaks, how do you fix it????

Then again, a new car should never break, I guess....

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
My '14 JKUR left me stranded on the way to a 2 day trip through the Ouchita National Forest. Thankfully I wasn't in the middle of the forest when it happened.
Like you I do all my own work, after 4 hours in the dark on the side of the road (with my grandson) I finally gave up and called a tow truck. Took the dealer a week and a half to find the problem, which was moisture in one of the electrical connectors. Easy fix, if you know what it is and where to look for it. Hard fix to diagnose.

Since then I've longed to gut the electronics and go old school with a motor/trans that doesn't require 18 miles of canbus wiring... :)

Mitch502

Explorer
My '14 JKUR left me stranded on the way to a 2 day trip through the Ouchita National Forest. Thankfully I wasn't in the middle of the forest when it happened.
Like you I do all my own work, after 4 hours in the dark on the side of the road (with my grandson) I finally gave up and called a tow truck. Took the dealer a week and a half to find the problem, which was moisture in one of the electrical connectors. Easy fix, if you know what it is and where to look for it. Hard fix to diagnose.

Since then I've longed to gut the electronics and go old school with a motor/trans that doesn't require 18 miles of canbus wiring... :)

I see these HEMI swapped JKs, and I think, "Man, I wouldn't want that. I couldn't diagnose anything on it!"

But I did my 5.9L Magnum TJ swap completely by myself (with a couple tips from my dad)...You just can't do that with new stuff...I made my own wiring harness and all...not possible unless you're dedicated to learning EVERYTHING about the newer stuff it seems.

Zeep

Adventurer
Consider something with a manual trans next time, and forget the tranny solenoids. That's if you can find something with a manual trans!

Mitch502

Explorer
Consider something with a manual trans next time, and forget the tranny solenoids. That's if you can find something with a manual trans!

Exactly! Also, convince my wife to drive a manual every day!

(The TJ is a manual!)

cj-10

I hate all newer cars and all the stupid sensors that leave you stranded for no good reason. My '95 YJ is about as technical as I want to get. I hated my BMW x5 it drove awesome but so many stupid sensors. I bought a 1982 Mercedes 300d to swap the motor into a CJ but more than a year later I am still driving it and I pretty much love it. I don't feel cars made today are built to be worked on or built to last. I have dreams of 70 series manual diesel cruisers and old diesel g-wagens.

Mitch502

Explorer
I hate all newer cars and all the stupid sensors that leave you stranded for no good reason. My '95 YJ is about as technical as I want to get. I hated my BMW x5 it drove awesome but so many stupid sensors. I bought a 1982 Mercedes 300d to swap the motor into a CJ but more than a year later I am still driving it and I pretty much love it. I don't feel cars made today are built to be worked on or built to last. I have dreams of 70 series manual diesel cruisers and old diesel g-wagens.

Exactly...to me this whole electronic throttle stuff is a perfect example...you can't rig it to work if it breaks on the trail...cause it's a sensor. It won't let the vehicle run right...but you can sure rig up a wire if it breaks, or a connecting end or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94