Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Alaskan-Flat bed side door entry-A dream

Very nice! My dad had an alaskan camper when I was a kid. They havent changed much but even 40yrs ago the old camper we had was always a warm place to go on s cold night.

The flatbed approach with the rear seating area and side entry really changes the usable space. Sure beats a Rock and dirty turnouts! Ha

Are the lift cylinders no longer brass with a stainless piston?
    Thanks for the additional pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great looking camper and love seeing a side entry/flat bed camper.
    Jack
    2007 2500hd, Max/Alli, Hawk FWC (the new explorer)
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build
    2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon-Sold
    1985 4Runner 22rte-Project...
    KE7NCK

Default Pistons are solid and strong

Yes the pistons are no longer brass. I was a little bummed cause I liked the brass look...but these are their new solid pistons. They are going on all future builds. Bryan at AK said there will be fewer problems, longer life with seals and rings not leaking and they are much stronger. A plus being solid is when you put in the pins to set the height that you don't have to fight or should I say finesse sliding in the pins through the hollow brass post, because being solid...it is easy pin insert.

Love seeing all the flat bed campers becoming more popular. Sweet setup!
    M1102 Teardrop thingamajig camper
    2013 Tacoma Build
    1997 Land Cruiser Build

Check out our Blog!
    https://www.lonestaradventurer.com

Thank you for posting this information and photos.

That side door is fantastic! I love the way it modifies the interior and softens the "linear feel" of the typical truck camper layout. I'm drooling over how easy it would be to have bumper mounted racks for a small motorcycle or bikes and no interference with the entryway.

Safe and enjoyable travels to you!
    Last edited by FAW3; 12-22-2017 at 01:13 PM.

The solid pistons would be nice. I do fumble getting mine in sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks a lot for sharing. How did you convince Alaskan campers to do this? I imagine you weren't the first person to ask. How is the camper structurally, any weakness? Who am I kidding I bet it is strong as an ox... Alaskan campers definitely on my list!!!

Awesome camper / rig, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if I was the first person to ask Alaskan Camper (Bryan) if they were willing to build a flatbed side door entry. But I was the first to go to their factory with my plans in hand, go through the factory, see how they build campers and sit down and work out a plan with Bryan. After a day of discussion and measuring, and figuring, he was willin to put my plans to build, using their specs for quality. I was also willing to put the down payment for construction. We both felt good that the camper could be built with the same strong quality and nice interior that AK had to offer. The one slight worry was that the door opening was a few inches shorter to accomodate the curve in the top pop up. The camper is strong as an ox and I have been using it alot. The Center of gravity is great, handles well on curvy narrow roads, high winds on the interstates. No lean and I have gone through some steep rocky roads. The truck with a full load of stuff including 2 mtn bikes has no problem feeling stuck to the road.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast