Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I've only owned Dice for a few weeks now..... he's working out well...... I think I'll keep him!
This will be Dice's "Build Thread"..... so I figure I should post up a To Do list for improvements and such.....
Dice and me had a conversation...... he'd prefer to be built up like it's 1978..... that sounds good to me.....

We came up with a list of improvements..... but they were mostly around 40 years ago..... with a few exceptions.....
We figured Dice's build list (in no particular order) should be called this:

Not This..... But This Instead.....

No electric/pneumatic lockers….. but instead a Detroit Locker in the rear and a True Trac in the front.
No GPS unit….. but instead a bunch of paper maps, Gazetteers, and a Marble's compass.
No snorkel….. but instead a 14” K&N filter with a chrome top….. bling bling!
No bypass/remote reservoir shocks….. but instead Rancho RS5000s.
No MaxTrax….. but instead I'll pull the wool blanket from my bedroll, in the off chance I need to.
No storage drawers….. but instead a sleeping platform that covers my milk crates.
No fridge….. but instead a 1975 Coleman ice chest.

No fuel injection….. but instead a 670 cfm Holley Truck Avenger carb.
No LS or Diesel engine swap….. but instead keep the original AMC 401.
No axle swaps….. but instead keep the original Dana 44s.
No winch….. but instead I'll rely on the lockers above, and carry a tow strap.
No Ham radio….. but instead a pair of FRS radios, and maybe a CB.
No sound system….. but instead something that will play my 1,879 favorite songs from my IPOD.
No RTT….. but instead a David Ellis Range Tent for extended stays.

No awning….. but instead a blue tarp, adjustable poles, paracord, and stakes.

No dual battery system….. but instead one Odyssey PC1500 with a manual cutoff switch.
No roof rack….. but instead some eyelets to attach the above blue tarp to.
No LED Light Bars….. but instead some KC Daylighters.
No rear view camera….. but instead I'll look around, the Wagoneer is all glass anyway.

So anyways..... Dice and me agreed this would be a good build for us both..... old-school..... vintage..... retro...... antique...... whatever term you prefer!.....

unkamonkey

Explorer
I'm with you, My 3B is built up like it would have been done in the early '60s. (that is how I bought it) It works fine and is a favorite out on the trails. I get more attention than any other Jeep in the group.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You could always add a Hi-Lift Jack, and some chain to pull you out of a bad spot.
A Hi-Lift jack is a farmer's best friend. :)

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I'm with you, My 3B is built up like it would have been done in the early '60s. (that is how I bought it) It works fine and is a favorite out on the trails. I get more attention than any other Jeep in the group.

Very cool Unk! People are always coming up to me whenever we're parked now!

That old iron looks good. Looking forward to your retro build.

Thanks Borison! It'll be a slow build...... but a fun build!

You could always add a Hi-Lift Jack, and some chain to pull you out of a bad spot.
A Hi-Lift jack is a farmer's best friend. :)

Good idea Scott! I've never used a High Lift like a winch....... could be fun!
I believe the opinion that "lockers just get you stuck in a worse spot..... you need a winch first!" is pure fiction...... My experience is that lockers get you through the bad obstacles....... without a lot of drama!

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very cool Unk! People are always coming up to me whenever we're parked now!

Thanks Borison! It'll be a slow build...... but a fun build!

Good idea Scott! I've never used a High Lift like a winch....... could be fun!
I believe the opinion that "lockers just get you stuck in a worse spot..... you need a winch first!" is pure fiction...... My experience is that lockers get you through the bad obstacles....... without a lot of drama!

Agreed. I think that quote started as a joke between experienced wheelers.

I remember hearing it being bantered around as a challenge between friends, when I was wheeling in Colorado back in the early '80s. At that time I was very new to wheeling my own rig, didn't have either one, and started getting nervous... Which got all the seasoned & gnarly off roading vets rolling with laughter!
Those fine gentlemen "schooled me" real good! :elkgrin:

Was cool to see the Rrrrrrooooaaad Trip report! Sounds like you had a great time. :victory:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Agreed. I think that quote started as a joke between experienced wheelers.

I remember hearing it being bantered around as a challenge between friends, when I was wheeling in Colorado back in the early '80s. At that time I was very new to wheeling my own rig, didn't have either one, and started getting nervous... Which got all the seasoned & gnarly off roading vets rolling with laughter!
Those fine gentlemen "schooled me" real good! :elkgrin:

Was cool to see the Rrrrrrooooaaad Trip report! Sounds like you had a great time. :victory:

Haha! That's funny Scott!...... As a kid in the 60s I remember hearing similar "tips" around the fire.......
Now that I'm an Old Guy....... I try to keep the tradition going!......

On a serious note....... I'm going to have to "learn" how to drive off road all over again with Dice...... open diffs (for now)....... 31" tires..... lower ground clearance.....
For 8 years I've been driving Ruff...... '79 Ford Bronco...... Granny low 4-speed..... 35" BFGs..... 4.56 gears..... Detroit rear and True Trac front..... built 400 engine.....
Ruff will drive up..... over..... through..... just about anything....... good line or bad line doesn't matter to him...... you could say I got complacent.....

Ruff is still here........ just not getting driven much....... and if Dice shows potential..... Ruff may go to a new home.....

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
That sure is a good lookin Bronco... I mean a Ruff looking Bronco.

Have those fancy new springs arrived?

DGarman

What could go wrong?
That sure is a good lookin Bronco... I mean a Ruff looking Bronco.

Have those fancy new springs arrived?

Thanks Tim! New springs are here...... along with all the peripherals to install them..... maybe this weekend!

DGarman

What could go wrong?
New springs for Dice are all in..... Rancho RS44044s for the front...... stock height rear springs from BJ's Off Road...... also Rancho RS60612 add-a-leafs for the rear......
Got new U-bolts..... longer brakelines..... shackle bushings..... new bumpstops..... yadda, yadda, yadda
Probably install them next weekend at my Son-in-laws Harley shop...... so I don't have to lay in the dirt!

Got in some period-correct off road lights..... the peak of technology when Dice was born..... KC Daylighters..... 100 watt..... driving light lens..... just need to make some mounts.....

Added a few farkles..... when you grow up in SoCal in the 70s like I did..... these are mandatory..... there may even be a law requiring them..... I don't know.....

Think I've figured out how to build out the back end....... to suit me and a dog or two.....

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Very nice!! Dice is coming together!
Proper In-N-out gear and KC's! Those lights are awesome!
flat-fender-racing-1974-baja-500.jpg

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Very nice!! Dice is coming together!
Proper In-N-out gear and KC's! Those lights are awesome!
flat-fender-racing-1974-baja-500.jpg

Thanks Tim! Little by little......
Nice Flat Fender!..... You know that KC Daylighters are good because they've been around since 1970!

Been thinkin' about creature comforts...... the bed set-up in the back..... and things to make the drive more pleasant.....
Looking for one of these....... a Pioneer Super Tuner.....

..... and a boat-load of these!..... I wonder if Pelican make foam inserts for 8-Track tapes..... hmmmm.....

It's all about the Farckles!.....

Last edited:

Hackopotomus

Observer
New springs for Dice are all in..... Rancho RS44044s for the front...... stock height rear springs from BJ's Off Road...... also Rancho RS60612 add-a-leafs for the rear......
Got new U-bolts..... longer brakelines..... shackle bushings..... new bumpstops..... yadda, yadda, yadda
Probably install them next weekend at my Son-in-laws Harley shop...... so I don't have to lay in the dirt!

Got in some period-correct off road lights..... the peak of technology when Dice was born..... KC Daylighters..... 100 watt..... driving light lens..... just need to make some mounts.....

Added a few farkles..... when you grow up in SoCal in the 70s like I did..... these are mandatory..... there may even be a law requiring them..... I don't know.....

Think I've figured out how to build out the back end....... to suit me and a dog or two.....

In-N-Out urge! :)

Hey, Hondo must be getting jealous! Is Wile E. going to get to ride in Dice? (I'm ChiliPepperGarage on ADVrdr)

Gotta love the old stuff. When I was a kid my dad bought a new Wagoneer. Must have been early 60's. I'd love to find a clean one like Dice. Looking forward to see how she comes along.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
In-N-Out urge! :)

Hey, Hondo must be getting jealous! Is Wile E. going to get to ride in Dice? (I'm ChiliPepperGarage on ADVrdr)

Gotta love the old stuff. When I was a kid my dad bought a new Wagoneer. Must have been early 60's. I'd love to find a clean one like Dice. Looking forward to see how she comes along.

Haha! Hey Chili!..... Good to see you again!.....
Hondo's anxious to hit the road again!..... Wile E. is still figurin' out the best place to ride in Dice..... he's not used to a windshield.....
Everyone I come across has a tie to a Wagoneer or a J truck..... There are still some decent ones in CA and AZ..... I was considering 3 prospects when I decided on Dice.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles