Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Howdy All!
Been wanting an early Wagoneer for a while..... finally got serious about finding one about a month ago.
I wanted a driver..... something I could drive while I fixed stuff..... I already have a '77 J-10 Shortbed for a major project.

Found this feller about 200 miles from home..... gathered some $$$$....... got my son-in-law to come with me....... and brought him home yesterday!

Drove him home the 200 miles..... no problems at all...... well, except for a power steering leak..... easy to fix.....
70+ mph up the grades with more to go..... 50 psi of oil pressure (Whoa!)..... temp about 190*..... no death wobble..... didn't explode or catch fire either.....
Finally I made a good purchase on Craigslist!..... I think.....

Some specifics:
401..... recently rebuilt, with documentation..... 4 bbl Holley..... Edelbrock intake manifold.....
TH400..... shifts goods and has all the necessary gears.....
BW1339..... Quadratrac..... has low range and a Doug Nash Part-Time kit.....
Dana 44s..... front and rear..... don't know the ratio yet..... probably 3.07 or 3.31...... my guess is 3.31 (Tow Package) by the way he runs.....
Factory alloy wheels...... probably 15 X 7.....
Kenda street tires...... needs BFGs soon!.....
3" Rough Country springs front and rear..... worst riding springs I've ever felt..... these will get changed very soon!......
Recent paint job...... within a couple years...... only a couple of rust spots showing through.....

And here's me........ about 10 minutes after the purchase..... I'm a happy guy!.....

"Dice? That's a different name....." I'm sure you're all saying.....
When I got there I walked up and introduced myself.....
"Howdy, I'm Dennis...... what's your name?"
"You can call me Dice"......
Evidently..... Dice has been sporting these for a couple years..... the seller was gracious enough to throw them in on the deal for no extra charge!......

Plans for Dice:
Every truck I've bought..... I've had a list of stuff that I always do to them right at the start....... not now.....
Aside from the springs and tires...... I'm just going to take Dice out...... have fun...... and add/replace parts when it becomes necessary......
I'm going to act like it's 1978 and there is virtually no aftermarket support for anything!

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Yes! Another Waggy on the boards! Looks like a great rig... nice and clean! Looks like it has a 2-3" lift on it too! Nice find and I can't wait for more pictures.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Now that's a beautiful Jeep!

Good luck and have fun :)
Thanks BBS!

That looks sweet! Love to see some interior pics too.
Thanks GC! I'll get some more photos today.

Yes! Another Waggy on the boards! Looks like a great rig... nice and clean! Looks like it has a 2-3" lift on it too! Nice find and I can't wait for more pictures.
Thanks Lumpskie! Verified that it's a 3" Rough Country kit....... and it rides ROUGH!....... need to swap them for some BJ's springs, Ranchos, or maybe Skyjackers.

Hello Dice, Pleased to meet ya!
Dice says "Hi!"

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Some interior photos.....
The seats and carpet seem to be in good shape for being 40 years old..... the dash pad is not cracked either!
Rear seat comes out with no tools..... I'm 6 foot and I can easily sleep in the back.....
Not going to build drawers or a sleeping platform....... but figure a way to secure my gear in totes on one side of the floor, and sleep on the other side...... it will only be me and a dog at most..... Again, the goal is to go camping and 4-wheeling in 1970s style!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
This is awesome! :victory:
Should be a whole lot of fun, especially with your attitude of just keep 'er running. :)
First picture I noticed the part time hubs and figured someone put a lot into this, but wow, "a lot" is an understatement.
Very cool. :beer:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
This is awesome! :victory:
Should be a whole lot of fun, especially with your attitude of just keep 'er running. :)
First picture I noticed the part time hubs and figured someone put a lot into this, but wow, "a lot" is an understatement.
Very cool. :beer:

Thanks Scott! This is absolutely the first time I got "more bang for my buck" on a Craigslist purchase!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Quite jealous! We have six vehicles at the moment, and my desire for a '70's Wagoneer or Cherokee, well, talking my wife into one is not going to happen. Owned a rust free TX '79 Cherokee, and a rust free NM '85 Grand Wagoneer in the past. Regret selling both vehicles. Now, with Wagonmaster swooping up so many of these SW vehicles, the pickins' are getting slim.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Quite jealous! We have six vehicles at the moment, and my desire for a '70's Wagoneer or Cherokee, well, talking my wife into one is not going to happen. Owned a rust free TX '79 Cherokee, and a rust free NM '85 Grand Wagoneer in the past. Regret selling both vehicles. Now, with Wagonmaster swooping up so many of these SW vehicles, the pickins' are getting slim.

I ran across a lot of Wagonmaster restorations while I was searching..... lots of coin..... but it's like buying a brand new truck!
CA and AZ have some fairly rust-free 70s vintage trucks for sale...... at least from what I saw.
I'm 56, and not married anymore...... plus I have a couple of friends that are "enablers"....... so buying Dice was an easy decision!

KYLJR

That's a good looking Wagoneer! The 401 is a great engine too! Post some pics of the J10 please. I love FSj's! I hope to all a Cherokee Chief or another J10 to the line up soon.
I have a 1979 J10 Honcho 360/t400/QT with 54K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles