Safety wiring your shackle pins?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Anybody do it, any neat tricks?

Got a lot of tweens and petty vandalism / thefts here in suburbia. Not sure I want to leave any on my vehicle. If I do I intend to wire the pin to the shackle.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I leave all mine in the vehicle, no reason to expose them to the elements

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I never leave shackles out in the elements, pins are never even finger tight when in use.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Another vote for keeping them inside. Mine live in my recovery bag and only come out when needed. My recovery bag is really a cheap HF tool bag and found they fit perfectly in the pockets around the inside edges, separated and rattle free but easily pulled out by themselves if that is all I need from the bag.

steelhd

Observer
Generally I keep my screw pin shackles in the tool box. But when I'm wheeling and don't want to screw around fishing stuff out of the box (or just want to look like the cool kids :) ) I use black zip ties.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
When your buddy rolls and traps his arm you need to be quick before the fire burns him up. When your other buddy falls in the deep end of the creek crossing you need to hook him up fast before he gets swept away and drowns his kids. When your stuck and teetering on a dangerous hill climb you may also want to get hooked up fast before you slide and roll. For these reasons I need a hook instead of a thimble on my winch lines and shackles that are right next to the controller, choker chain and winch strap. They sit in a bag that I can grab from the driver or passenger seat. The shackles are all finger loose. If you don't have recovery hooks front and rear then you need a permanently mounted shackles. Torque them tight with red lock tight or use wire if you want but have additional shackles in a bag that you can grab quickly to daisy chain to your permenant shackle. Keep a few sizes because inevitedly some retard put a "Safty Thimble" on his winch line with a lost shackle or a shackle that you can't get loose rendering it useless while your tring to get a rolled rig off of sombodies chest.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Seen & righted many rolls and flops; fortunately injuries are very rare!.. Amazingly so, really... Falls/kitchen/cooking injuries happen far more often in the woods.
I really have never seen any reason for shackle mounts on bumpers when hooks are so much quicker and easier to use... (looking cool would never be a consideration, although stopping rattles would be a reason not to keep shackles on the bumper).
I keep the shackles for "hooking" to vehicles without tow hooks and for connecting straps, snatch blocks, other rigging.

Enjoy!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Generally I keep my screw pin shackles in the tool box. But when I'm wheeling and don't want to screw around fishing stuff out of the box (or just want to look like the cool kids :) ) I use black zip ties.

Yep, I use a black zip tie to secure one on the front of my rig as a quick front recovery point (mine is a receiver hitch type, which I have locked on). The others are already attached to each rope/strap I own, since I've noticed that whenever I need a rope or strap I also need a shackle...

old .45

Observer
Yep, I use a black zip tie to secure one on the front of my rig as a quick front recovery point (mine is a receiver hitch type, which I have locked on). The others are already attached to each rope/strap I own, since I've noticed that whenever I need a rope or strap I also need a shackle...

I also use zip-ties and make sure they are tight first... done this for years... no theft as they would have to work to get them.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles