Host Rv 270

mobilguy66

Hello everyone! I'm a new guy on the block.... I am newly retired and am looking to travel all over. Saw the ER and that is definetly the ticket but I just can't do it ($$). If I could do it, I would. Went to Hershey (PA) RV show and saw the Hosts. The 330 is nice but way too big. The 270 looks nice and happens to be loaded (Air Ride, Level system, winter package etc) I'm really not looking to "go off road" but I do believe that 4wd is a must for me. I'd like to be able to do some snow (like we have here in PA) and a few unimproved roads (gravel, dirt, and some sandy beaches etc) I am not willing to go beyond it's capabilities. I would be using it to see the sites and sometimes take a grandkid or two with us. It just seems to be what would fit my personal needs at this time. Honestly, there was nothing else at the show that pushed my button. The only downer for me is the powerstroke (I'm a Duramax guy) and the propane generator that I don't know anything about and/or if I should stay away from them. (wish it had the diesel optioned one)
Thought about just selling my 2500HD Duramax, moving up to a 3500 or so, and then topping it off with a Bigfoot or so but then I'd be stuck with a more truck than needed situation for tooling around town etc. I also like the fact of being able for the wife to take a break to hop up and use the facilities and grab a drink or snack while moving. Also the slightly more room to take our Grandkids should we want to spend some time with them.
I guess what I would like to know from you guy's who know a heck of alot more than me (and who have been there), Is this a decent unit for what it is? Would anyone of you have any experience with Host products and/ or know of their quality? Any comments would be appreciated......
Finally, I realize that in the END, I'm going to get it in the end. I have just come off of the 12 year boating (large boat) tour and is the reason to try RVing. Took a big hit on the boat BUT have many great memories and stories and there is a cost to that. This RIG lists at $178k and I can buy it for $140K so it's not a small purchase. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!!
Paul

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, mobilguy66!

Take a look at the Host 270 discussion here
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17750&highlight=host+270

You mention that you'd purchase an Earthroamer, but it's too
expensive. ER has a couple of used models available today, with
prices close to the cost of a new Host 270. Take a look at the
left side of the ER home page, here
http://www.earthroamer.com/

Buying used helps diminish the big depreciation losses you'd
face if you were buying new. And the pre-2008 diesel engines
will run on the fuel found in Mexico and points south without
destroying the emissions control equipment.

Chip Haven

mobilguy66

Chip, Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean to sound that the Earthroamer was too expensive, it's probably worth every penny. I just can't spend that much on a Unit. The used ones have 59000 miles on them and 3 years and they are still +$30,000. I did fail to mention that the Host was a '07 truck with an '08 conversion so as you mentioned, that would be a plus.

CSG, Thanks as well. Love the Chevy. I have printed out the specs to take with me to compare option to option.

explore this

Observer
Paul,

Check this thread out: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7621

It doesn't sound like you want to go offroad very far and are looking not to get stuck on a snowy road... Don't discount a truck camper. That almost exactly describes what you are looking for, except for the pass-through. They have gone too far with some of the models, slides, etc, but some pretty cool stuff out there. You go on to say you don't want a 3500, but are looking at a totally separate 50 series truck dedicated to the cause... Do you need a truck? I understand the Duramax statement. 110k on mine and it runs like the first day. Some rave about the powerstroke and some have nightmares, especially 6.0. The new one is new and will be replaced by a Ford in-house motor on the 2010s I believe. Propane generator, non-issue. (Cummins Onan). The only issue with a larger camper is that they are not designed to go too far offroad and are built like a toothpick RV (Host is one of the same). I've had to redo my entire subframe with a stout aluminum frame to keep up with where I go. Is it perfect? No. However, you'll spend $50-60k for the truck (you already have one or can get some wild discounts right now) and mid $30s for a camper (once again probably much better right now). That's three new trucks and campers... The Earthroamer is a HQ vehicle. Is it is worth $230k? Maybe, but it's not perfect with some of the undercarriage gaps for that price IMO. Is a Host worth $160-180k? Debatable, but shouldn't be compared to an ER or even a truck camper, as it will rip apart doing the same. I'm on the prowl for a much more extreme replacement myself. We'll see what/who wins my $'s... Most info in this realm of vehicle is by word of mouth and many are very tight lipped... Good luck.

Last edited:

mobilguy66

ET, Thanks. I think you are right about the truck camper. It would proably be my first choice as I saw alot at the show. One guy in NJ told me he has enough in stock to spend two days of deciding. My wife is not crazy about them but as long as the word motorcoach is used, that makes a difference to her. I really can't sell my truck as it is set up for plowing etc. Thanks for commenting on the genny. I have found now, as in boating, there are soooo many trade-offs it's perplexing. Wish I could talk to a few who have owned them. Going off road is not a concern to me. I own a small farm in upstate PA and drive the fields and woods every other weekend so I know the capabilties of owning a 4wd. (owned one since 1971) To sum it up, I'd just like to see the country in a unit that is small enough to manuever but big enough to enjoy (buses need not apply), and I'd like to have 4wd for maybe a sticky place or two. Thanks again for your reply, Paul

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
People Actually USING a Tiger CX

The Howe's have some 40k+ on a Tiger and are now in Peru. Granted that LatAm is not Africa, but it is a bit rougher than most of the US, other than Jeep trails.

They recently met Doug Hackney (who is also a former boat type and has done enormous amounts of research) who photographed their car and did an interview. The link is: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19088

Their web site is: http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Site/Home_Page.html

The gentleman who makes Tigers was originally with Four-Wheel Campers and has been building basically the same vehicle for some twenty-Five years. He has very strong ideas about what works, what doesn't, what is cost effective, what isn't, and guarantees his camper frame for five years.

Accrete

Explorer
My wife and i saw the Host 270 a couple shows back in Portland Oregon. One thing i picked up by spending time with the Host crew is they are fairly flexible with what appliances are in the rig. We discussed the possibility of swapping out the propane with diesel appliances such as heater and stove, and going with a 12v high efficiency refer. Basically Host stated they could do what was discussed and were open to these types of ideas.

I do agree with others statements that the Host is (as you've also pointed out) a rig for use in the snow, and maybe a gravel road or two. In fact the Host crew actually told us the 4x4 feature is there for safety in the snow and the unit was not designed to go off the asphalt. I recall an outing in my folk's Toyota Dolphin. I carefully drove about 1/2 mile on a gravel road to a campsite and i was ready to get out asap! With the opening to the living area it was a total rattle trap. Though i liked the idea of getting out of the seat and going back once pulled off the road, all that noise got me thinking that maybe the pass through isn't such a hot idea and a regular truck camper would do.

my 2 bits worth. Best wishes in your plans.
Thom

mobilguy66

Thank you guy's for keeping the thread alive!! The Tiger thread is sooooo interesting and informative. I think the size to be too small for us since we are going to take the grandkids occasionally, but what a great setup! We are still actively seeking the Host at this point but with the economy being the way that it is right now, I'm worried about pulling the trigger on anything. I also think the dealer has some room to come down since it's a leftover '07 truck with a '08 body. Guess time will tell. We like everything about the Host and we realize the limitations. I am most worried about the Ford diesel but know lot's of guy's that have them and are happy. This rig is so hard to research because nobody seems to own them and I'm not sure that's a good thing...... Thanks again for all comments, Paul

Stopthevoices77

I know this is a really old post... Does anyone out there have one of these for sale? I can only find a couple online and they're pretty expensive. I found a Host 330 for sale at $75k. I'd like to find a 270 in that price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz