Motorsports Cable and wiring techniques

Choff

Adventurer
Thank you
makes what wiring I have done look very bad-------going to step it up after reviewing this web site

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I normally do mostly IPC class 3 wiring on important stuff but it really isn't necessary for most wiring on most vehicles, IMO.
I typically seal with internally coated heat shrink (when none is available, on less critical items, with hot melt adhesive and heat shrink)... open flame to shrink is not acceptable...
Besides proper wire strippers and crimpers a good wire tie tensioner is very handy...my favorite is a Panduit GS2B;
https://www.amazon.com/Panduit-GS2B...8&qid=1514302403&sr=8-1&keywords=panduit+gs2b

Enjoy!

I agree with the wire tie tensioner. I am not a big fan of wire ties, They are often used improperly and end up with hidden broken conductors. I do hate when someone uses something like diagonal cutters rather than a flush cutting device. This leaves sharp tip that always manages to find me.

I have recently become aware of corrosion migrates between wire and insulation. I am familiar with coaxial cables doing this but it is common in single conductor wiring as well. Some harness builders use epoxy to seal the stripped ends of the wire.

toddz69

Explorer
I agree - great find! Bookmarked for future reference. I use a lot of this stuff already at work (satellite construction) and also on off-road racing vehicles and my own off road toys, but this is a nice compilation of so many different topics.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94