Subaru Forest Questions

Numbchux

The First gen cvt Forester with the FB engine had oil consumption issues. Its also on a different smaller lighter derated Impreza platform. The earlier EJ powered versions sat on the OLD legacy platform with a higher load rating. Old platform was rated for 2400lb towing the new lighter impreza based one is 1500lbs. .

This is only half true, the towing ratings did go down (Someone told me it was due to a change in the SAE requirements for those ratings...but I don't remember the source), but the Forester has always been based on the Impreza running gear.

http://www.cars101.com/towing.html

And splitting hairs, the Forester got the FB engine in 2011, but didn't get the CVT until 2014.

Thank you for the information! I've been reading a lot about the head gasket issues, and the oil consumption. I'm starting to get a bit turned off from the purchase, but still really am interested in what the forester has to offer. Would you feel comfortable buying a 2010 forester with the EJ motor, and just expecting to do a head gasket at some point?

Also, thank you for the link.

I would feel comfortable with it, with good maintenance these can be very reliable engines. We had a 2003 Outback with the EJ25 (that one doesn't have VVT, but the head gaskets are the same) that we put over 50k miles on it, head gaskets leaking oil the whole time. Had them replaced before we sold it. But they're not like the old 2.2s that didn't really need to be maintained at all.

That said, I sold it to buy a 6-cyl car. A 2004 Outback with the 3.0.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For a few yrs the Forester sat on the old Legacy platform and got the 2400lb rating. Prior to the 2400rating it had 1500 because it sat on the old impreza platform. So yes its true. Subaru did this when Toyota upped the Rav 4 to a v6 option and increased its load / size. So Subaru had old legacy platform capacity and put it on the heavier/stiffer Legacy platform just prior to the most recent revert back to the impreza and 1500 rating. The ratings were not impacted by the SAE given the Impreza was always rated 1500 and the Legacy went from 2000lbs to 2400lbs to the current 2700lb rating.

Vinz Clortho

Steer clear of the turbos and you should be good. My 07 WRX had head gasket failure and my 2015 Forester XT with the 2 liter turbo has been at the dealer for the past two months having the engine rebuilt after the number 4 cylinder grenaded and took out the head on that side. This is with 44K on the odometer. I got it back this past weekend and less than 24 hours later the dash lit up light a Christmas tree. It's back there now waiting for a new transmission control module.

The crazy thing is that a co-worker of mine has an identical Forester and went through the exact same thing three months ago. She and her husband got fed up and Subaru of America ended up buying the car back. Not sure what's going on with Subarus nowadays. As soon as I can I'm trading it in on a 4Runner.

Numbchux

For a few yrs the Forester sat on the old Legacy platform and got the 2400lb rating. Prior to the 2400rating it had 1500 because it sat on the old impreza platform. So yes its true. Subaru did this when Toyota upped the Rav 4 to a v6 option and increased its load / size. So Subaru had old legacy platform capacity and put it on the heavier/stiffer Legacy platform just prior to the most recent revert back to the impreza and 1500 rating. The ratings were not impacted by the SAE given the Impreza was always rated 1500 and the Legacy went from 2000lbs to 2400lbs to the current 2700lb rating.

The Forester has Always been based on the Impreza.

I should also mention that the AWD system is very different whether it has an automatic or manual transmission. All Subaru manuals have a center differential to apply power to the front and rear simultaneously, whereas virtually all automatics are front-wheel drive, which then engage a clutch pack to send power to the rear after the front start slipping.

There is a VTD (Variable Torque Distribution) AWD system which is a true differential with computer controlled LSD that was fitted to the more "performance" oriented automatics, some turbo and H6 cars. That's part of the reason I specifically sought out an H6 VDC model when I bought our 2004. No '09-'13 Forester has this, so I'd put an extra recommendation on the manual.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Vtd is a mechanical system replaced by the crazy impressive brake vectoring done today which is paired with traction monitoring and hunting logic. All the new Subarus actually get brake vectoring actions to help rotate the car when turning. Its impressive stuff. The AWD in the manual was pretty good but it also created a rear traction issue where engine braking would break the rear loose and was a big factor in lots of wrecked track cars and soccer moms going into snow banks. The new ATs are highly active in power allocation so much so there isnt a “fixed” front of rear bias its simply based on variables that affect vehicle stability. My Manual Subaru was a dumb tractor in the snow, my cvt subaru is a seamless sure footed machine that simply just keeps every thing pointed and going in the direction you point it. Its really impressive actually. And thats from a manual kinda guy.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Just my two cents, but every Subaru I've owned or been around has blown head gaskets, specifically the 2.5l motor. My friend's 2011 Outback, my old 1996 Outback it doesn't change. Plus whenever I'm behind one they have that distinct "Subaru smell" out of their tailpipes, putrid smell.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Thanks for the help everyone! I just bought a 2011 3.6r Premium with 62k on the clock. It is in mint condition, so i'm pretty jazzed about it! I'm picking it up tomorrow when they finish detailing it. I'll post up some photos!

After test driving a bunch of outbacks over the weekend I am certain that it's a perfect vehicle for me. I didn't feel that the 3.6 was necessary... but it sure is gonna be nice to have! I was kind of blown away at how nice the interior is... especially coming from an XJ.

Speaking of which... does anyone want a nicely built 2001 XJ?!? haha

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Depending on the year of 4runner, look out for head gasket, transmission, and axle/diff issues. If you’re looking at new, of course, warranty negates it. Except for down time.

Which ones have head gasket, transmission and axle issues?
The first 2 years of the 4.0 has a rare occurrence of head gasket issues. Rare. I’ve never heard of transmission issues. It was the same tranny used in the land cruiser. And zero axle issues.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the help everyone! I just bought a 2011 3.6r Premium with 62k on the clock. It is in mint condition, so i'm pretty jazzed about it! I'm picking it up tomorrow when they finish detailing it. I'll post up some photos!

After test driving a bunch of outbacks over the weekend I am certain that it's a perfect vehicle for me. I didn't feel that the 3.6 was necessary... but it sure is gonna be nice to have! I was kind of blown away at how nice the interior is... especially coming from an XJ.

Speaking of which... does anyone want a nicely built 2001 XJ?!? haha

The XJ is one step above buckboard with one oxen pulling. The OB is actually a modern car. LOL Youll never do a road trip in a Jeep again.

nasko

Adventurer
The first 2 years of the 4.0 has a rare occurrence of head gasket issues. Rare. I've never heard of transmission issues. It was the same tranny used in the land cruiser. And zero axle issues.

just to name a few: strawberry milk shake of death, 6th cylinder in the 4.0L, replacing rear seals as a maintenance item, 4x4 actuator on the V8 4Runners, headers on the V8.... Toyota's are great, but they are no magic

OP, congrats. I am sure you will love it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
just to name a few: strawberry milk shake of death, 6th cylinder in the 4.0L, replacing rear seals as a maintenance item, 4x4 actuator on the V8 4Runners, headers on the V8.... Toyota's are great, but they are no magic

OP, congrats. I am sure you will love it.

Early 4.0. That’s it. . What rear seal are you talking about? The actuator has to be replaced if it’s never used. Just like any electronic switched 4wd no issues with the headers.

Hodaka

Adventurer
The first 2 years of the 4.0 has a rare occurrence of head gasket issues. Rare. I've never heard of transmission issues. It was the same tranny used in the land cruiser. And zero axle issues.
Literally, just google it.
So many hits.

jb_eb

Just my two cents, but every Subaru I've owned or been around has blown head gaskets, specifically the 2.5l motor. My friend's 2011 Outback, my old 1996 Outback it doesn't change. Plus whenever I'm behind one they have that distinct "Subaru smell" out of their tailpipes, putrid smell.

hmm . Odd. I currently have a 2003 wrx, 2014 forester XT and a 2004 wrx rallycar. Not to mention have owned a 98 impreza, 2002 wrx and a 2012 Outback. No blown headgaskets. And I am far from "nice" to them. That "smell" is because they are horizontally opposed, there's gonna be oil burning.

Muddernutter, you'll be happy with the 3.6 outback, great vehicle.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm pretty pumped about it. So far I'm just gonna get her sorted with a 2 inch receiver for my bike rack, and I'll pick up some nice all weather floor mats.

I ended up buying it when I was visiting my parents over the holidays, so I had to drive my XJ back home first.... I don't get the Outback until Saturday. The wait is killing me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles