Subaru Forest Questions

Numbchux

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Should be a pretty fantastic car.

Subaru only offers a 1 1/4" receiver, and all the common aftermarket ones have a big crossbar that hangs down under the rear bumper. Might not be a big deal to you, but there is a hidden hitch that's almost identical to the OE design and is available with a 2" receiver.
https://torkliftcentral.com/2010-2014-subaru-outback-ecohitch

Also....
https://andersondesign-fab.com/product-category/suspension/outback/2010-2014-subaru-outback/

Thanks! I was actually just surfing the forums reading about hitches, and it seems that torklift ecohitch is the way to go. Just ordered one.

paroxysym

Adventurer
pics?

for some odd reason I started looking at subbies myself the other day... ive had multiple jeeps over the years and I just recently bought and threw some money in my 01 and im already over it.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
pics?

for some odd reason I started looking at subbies myself the other day... ive had multiple jeeps over the years and I just recently bought and threw some money in my 01 and im already over it.

41f02639163b28fb4d6ae9d78d13dccb.jpg

731bb0274c5133357b92f8f873fb1f19.jpg

67ebe97a61608d0925d65596fdebe349.jpg

200784ecdcaed97a451795b53d4a9ef2.jpg

This is all I have right now. I’m actually picking it up tomorrow morning for good. I went through the same thing with Jeeps... let’s just say that I’m pretty excited to move on, haha. I want to spend my free time doing fun things these days, and I no longer consider wrenching as one of my favorite activities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perterra

Adventurer
41f02639163b28fb4d6ae9d78d13dccb.jpg

731bb0274c5133357b92f8f873fb1f19.jpg

67ebe97a61608d0925d65596fdebe349.jpg

200784ecdcaed97a451795b53d4a9ef2.jpg

This is all I have right now. I’m actually picking it up tomorrow morning for good. I went through the same thing with Jeeps... let’s just say that I’m pretty excited to move on, haha. I want to spend my free time doing fun things these days, and I no longer consider wrenching as one of my favorite activities!

Nice looking Subaru.

Wrenching a weekend ride is okay, wrenching your daily driver is ok as long as it's not Sunday night at midnight and you are trying to get the thing running to go to work the next morning. Never have liked that kind of wrenching.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I hear ya! Just picked up the subaru today. Loving driving it around. What a well rounded vehicle.

Can’t wait for my hitch and other goodies to get in!

Last edited:

nasko

Adventurer
I hear ya! Just picked up the suburban today. Loving driving it around. What a well rounded vehicle.

Can't wait for my hitch and other goodies to get in!

I can definitely relate. I absolutely love driving mine. It is just a pleasure to drive. They are well built cars. Mine has 232K kms, the last 55K or so with me, it handles Ontario winters well and does well enough on my hunting and fishing trips. It is no Jeep offroad, but if there is a "road" it will take you there. In the snow, I would argue that there are few that are better.
Cheers and good luck.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I can definitely relate. I absolutely love driving mine. It is just a pleasure to drive. They are well built cars. Mine has 232K kms, the last 55K or so with me, it handles Ontario winters well and does well enough on my hunting and fishing trips. It is no Jeep offroad, but if there is a "road" it will take you there. In the snow, I would argue that there are few that are better.
Cheers and good luck.

Sounds like yours is treating you well! I’m loving it. It’s amazing how comfortable it is.

9e404f182c59cfc883c22f9a8e170ea6.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
hmm . Odd. I currently have a 2003 wrx, 2014 forester XT and a 2004 wrx rallycar. Not to mention have owned a 98 impreza, 2002 wrx and a 2012 Outback. No blown headgaskets. And I am far from "nice" to them. That "smell" is because they are horizontally opposed, there's gonna be oil burning.

Muddernutter, you'll be happy with the 3.6 outback, great vehicle.
Whats funny all my Toyotas liked consuming oil I’ve had a 91, 93, 2005 v8 all of them have door pockets that hold a quart of oil. Ha ha!!!

My 2001 Subaru and my 2010 both sharing old EJ engine design use so little oil my every two week oil check was more about dusting under the hood. LOL. No HG failures. But I do have a theory on that. Its easy to push the pre 2010 wedge style body beyond its weak cooling ability and bingo cooked engine and popped HG. The 2010 body is dramatically better I can push the 10 far harder than the old 01 before temps spike. Plus the torque curve being much flatter with the rediculous cvt ratios makes it far easier to tow or climb without pushing into the 4000+ rpm range which tends to generate far more heat than speed or power during long grinds.

Same for my old Land Cruiser people freak about blown HG but I found if you drove it like a strait 6 and not a giant V8 suburban there was never a issue or HG threat.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
hmm . Odd. I currently have a 2003 wrx, 2014 forester XT and a 2004 wrx rallycar. Not to mention have owned a 98 impreza, 2002 wrx and a 2012 Outback. No blown headgaskets. And I am far from "nice" to them. That "smell" is because they are horizontally opposed, there's gonna be oil burning.

Muddernutter, you'll be happy with the 3.6 outback, great vehicle.

Should be a pretty fantastic car.

Subaru only offers a 1 1/4" receiver, and all the common aftermarket ones have a big crossbar that hangs down under the rear bumper. Might not be a big deal to you, but there is a hidden hitch that's almost identical to the OE design and is available with a 2" receiver.
https://torkliftcentral.com/2010-2014-subaru-outback-ecohitch

Also....
https://andersondesign-fab.com/product-category/suspension/outback/2010-2014-subaru-outback/
Just fyi my OB had 13inches ground to 2inch receiver drawtight I installed it. My 93 Land Cruiser with upsized 285 BFG tires almost 3inch bump over stock had a 10inch ground to 2inch stock oem reciever. Guess which one dragged often? Yup my legendary Land Cruiser!!!!

I have 100,000 miles on the 2010 outback it tows trailers. I have yet to ever drag the receiver!! Not once. And if you did? The receiver simply keeps you from ripping the plastic bumper off;-)

My Legacy GT dragged the after market reciver lots!!! Yup towed too!!! Never was an issue. The Subarus are built like tanks. Get a 2in after market that uses the stock mounting points and just get on with life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles