Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Subaru Forest Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
    The 2010+ Outbacks have integrated crossbars. AFAIK there isn't a wider/aftermarket option for them. We have a customer that comes in regularly that has made a wooden frame that clamps onto the stock crossbars but makes a flat, wider surface for cargo, and transfers the weight onto the mounts better, but you wouldn't be able to clamp a bike tray or anything to it.

Assuming you get a harness that uses the factory trailer connector, I don't believe there will be any overlap.

If you use a T-connector (plugs inline with each tail-light assembly), and an Eco-hitch, you would have to pull the tail-lights twice.
    Interesting! Thanks for the info. I donít plan on going over the factory rating for the bars so I should be good.

Iím definitely going to pick up a harness that utilizes the factory plug. Sound much better all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 XJ
    3.5" DPG OME HD Offroad lift
    31x10.50x15 ST MAXX's on 15" Cragars

Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Good call on the skinny long one. I've been thinking about which kind of shape would be best. I've had yakima crossbars on my jeep for years, and would like to be able to use the kayak racks that I still have... although they might work on the stock Outback bars.

Just got my hitch in last night! Hopefully it'll be going on soon. I was wondering if I should order in a trailer harness and wire it up at the same time, but it looks like the processes are totally separate from one another. So, I'll probably hold off on the harness and just get the hitch on. I need to be able to haul around my bikes!
    I simply used the Etrailer plugin box. I trailer yr around probably 1-2 times a month average. The OB is pre wired you simply plug the mixer box in and stow it in the trunk under the foam insert. Ever since my 01 Legacy I have kept the wiring in trunk and shut the hatch on the trailer wire zero issues. No pinched wires in the hitch the plugs under and next to the receiver piss me off to no end clearly created by people who dont tow. LOL

I use all my ancient Yakima gear on the OB via the rail clamps clamped to the stowed factory bars. I haul a 13ft 135lb 56in wide sailboat on the 66in bars the rail grab approach works great.

In snow ski mode I only run the box on the stock cross bars for a cleaner setup

Got the hitch on! I always forget how difficult it is to install a hitch yourself.

2001 XJ

Got the hitch on! I always forget how difficult it is to install a hitch yourself.

2001 XJ

miss the jeep at all man? lol

been researching the OB a lot these past couple weeks- torn between a 4th gen or 5th gen. did you test drive both? I saw you took the 2.5 and the 3.6 for a spin, any downside to the 2.5?
    2001 Jeep XJ
    - OEM+ -

I can answer one of the downsides, not near as much power. But the miles per gallon of the 2.5 rocks

I did my OB and moms Legacy. I just left the tail lights plugged in and painters taped them to the fender out of the way. OB was easier than the legacy in that I left the exhaust hangers on with the OB. The legacy was slightly mor cramped and had to pop two hangars loose to gain room to work. The rear structure is identical between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    miss the jeep at all man? lol

been researching the OB a lot these past couple weeks- torn between a 4th gen or 5th gen. did you test drive both? I saw you took the 2.5 and the 3.6 for a spin, any downside to the 2.5?
    Haha, not at all... especially since I'm still wrenching on it!

I didn't drive a 5th gen. I drove the 2.5 and thought that it would have been perfectly adequate... but since I'll be getting rid of my jeep, and the Outback will be taking over camping/mountain biking duties I went for the big motor. I'm sure the 2.5 would have been fine in these areas as well... but with 4 people in the car, 4 bikes on the rack, and a ton of camping gear the 3.6 made a bit more sense. I justified it like "Well since i'll be getting rid of a super impractical vehicle, I can at least take a step towards impracticality with the fun motor". No regrets so far!
    2001 XJ

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456