Subaru Forest Questions

paroxysym

Adventurer
This is all I have right now. I'm actually picking it up tomorrow morning for good. I went through the same thing with Jeeps... let's just say that I'm pretty excited to move on, haha. I want to spend my free time doing fun things these days, and I no longer consider wrenching as one of my favorite activities!

exactly my thoughts.. so you selling the XJ? holding on to it? definitely dig the Subaru, has all the creature comforts I like. lol its funny, I was looking at just maintainingmy next vehicle and just throwing a set of weathertechs in it and calling it a day

Last edited:

MudderNutter

Adventurer
exactly my thoughts.. so you selling the XJ? holding on to it? definitely dig the Subaru, has all the creature comforts I like. lol its funny, I was looking at just maintainingmy next vehicle and just throwing a set of weathertechs in it and calling it a day

I’m tempted to hold onto the XJ, but it just doesn’t make much sense for me at the moment.... and I need a new mountain bike. So I’m gonna sell it and use the money to advance my other hobbies, and maybe add a thing or two to the outback. I could see a rooftop cargo box being extremely useful, and I want a modern apple car play head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’m tempted to hold onto the XJ, but it just doesn’t make much sense for me at the moment.... and I need a new mountain bike. So I’m gonna sell it and use the money to advance my other hobbies, and maybe add a thing or two to the outback. I could see a rooftop cargo box being extremely useful, and I want a modern apple car play head unit.

The skinny long roof box gives you mor hauling options. I can run two MTB on the lid with my 30in wide 6ft long box on 54in bars. Or my 18ft canoe next to the roof box on 66in bars. I use old yakima rail grabs on the stowed oem rack cross bars zero issues for the last 100,000, and I haul lots of crazy junk up there.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
The skinny long roof box gives you mor hauling options. I can run two MTB on the lid with my 30in wide 6ft long box on 54in bars. Or my 18ft canoe next to the roof box on 66in bars. I use old yakima rail grabs on the stowed oem rack cross bars zero issues for the last 100,000, and I haul lots of crazy junk up there.

Good call on the skinny long one. I've been thinking about which kind of shape would be best. I've had yakima crossbars on my jeep for years, and would like to be able to use the kayak racks that I still have... although they might work on the stock Outback bars.

Just got my hitch in last night! Hopefully it'll be going on soon. I was wondering if I should order in a trailer harness and wire it up at the same time, but it looks like the processes are totally separate from one another. So, I'll probably hold off on the harness and just get the hitch on. I need to be able to haul around my bikes!

Numbchux

The 2010+ Outbacks have integrated crossbars. AFAIK there isn't a wider/aftermarket option for them. We have a customer that comes in regularly that has made a wooden frame that clamps onto the stock crossbars but makes a flat, wider surface for cargo, and transfers the weight onto the mounts better, but you wouldn't be able to clamp a bike tray or anything to it.

Assuming you get a harness that uses the factory trailer connector, I don't believe there will be any overlap.

If you use a T-connector (plugs inline with each tail-light assembly), and an Eco-hitch, you would have to pull the tail-lights twice.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
The 2010+ Outbacks have integrated crossbars. AFAIK there isn't a wider/aftermarket option for them. We have a customer that comes in regularly that has made a wooden frame that clamps onto the stock crossbars but makes a flat, wider surface for cargo, and transfers the weight onto the mounts better, but you wouldn't be able to clamp a bike tray or anything to it.

Assuming you get a harness that uses the factory trailer connector, I don't believe there will be any overlap.

If you use a T-connector (plugs inline with each tail-light assembly), and an Eco-hitch, you would have to pull the tail-lights twice.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I don’t plan on going over the factory rating for the bars so I should be good.

I’m definitely going to pick up a harness that utilizes the factory plug. Sound much better all around.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Good call on the skinny long one. I've been thinking about which kind of shape would be best. I've had yakima crossbars on my jeep for years, and would like to be able to use the kayak racks that I still have... although they might work on the stock Outback bars.

Just got my hitch in last night! Hopefully it'll be going on soon. I was wondering if I should order in a trailer harness and wire it up at the same time, but it looks like the processes are totally separate from one another. So, I'll probably hold off on the harness and just get the hitch on. I need to be able to haul around my bikes!

I simply used the Etrailer plugin box. I trailer yr around probably 1-2 times a month average. The OB is pre wired you simply plug the mixer box in and stow it in the trunk under the foam insert. Ever since my 01 Legacy I have kept the wiring in trunk and shut the hatch on the trailer wire zero issues. No pinched wires in the hitch the plugs under and next to the receiver piss me off to no end clearly created by people who dont tow. LOL

I use all my ancient Yakima gear on the OB via the rail clamps clamped to the stowed factory bars. I haul a 13ft 135lb 56in wide sailboat on the 66in bars the rail grab approach works great.

In snow ski mode I only run the box on the stock cross bars for a cleaner setup

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Got the hitch on! I always forget how difficult it is to install a hitch yourself.

63c928dea962aabdda815fa1f55194e7.jpg
c1d808ec607602ff26535de893cf93ff.jpg
22cd876cb22b822080c8bbff06fb5fd3.jpg
182ac5e60636de5325c21b5737f3568c.jpg
adc8f4a14813fbdb2f8f917d04f9554c.jpg

paroxysym

Adventurer
miss the jeep at all man? lol

been researching the OB a lot these past couple weeks- torn between a 4th gen or 5th gen. did you test drive both? I saw you took the 2.5 and the 3.6 for a spin, any downside to the 2.5?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I did my OB and moms Legacy. I just left the tail lights plugged in and painters taped them to the fender out of the way. OB was easier than the legacy in that I left the exhaust hangers on with the OB. The legacy was slightly mor cramped and had to pop two hangars loose to gain room to work. The rear structure is identical between the two.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
miss the jeep at all man? lol

been researching the OB a lot these past couple weeks- torn between a 4th gen or 5th gen. did you test drive both? I saw you took the 2.5 and the 3.6 for a spin, any downside to the 2.5?

Haha, not at all... especially since I'm still wrenching on it!

I didn't drive a 5th gen. I drove the 2.5 and thought that it would have been perfectly adequate... but since I'll be getting rid of my jeep, and the Outback will be taking over camping/mountain biking duties I went for the big motor. I'm sure the 2.5 would have been fine in these areas as well... but with 4 people in the car, 4 bikes on the rack, and a ton of camping gear the 3.6 made a bit more sense. I justified it like "Well since i'll be getting rid of a super impractical vehicle, I can at least take a step towards impracticality with the fun motor". No regrets so far!

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Yup! No big plans for the subie. Just using it a ton! I’ve been traveling all over for mountain biking.

I’m just about to put the XJ on the market

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles