2017 4x4 144" SprincentVanGo

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So its been a while since im waiting on stuff, not much to do

All the wiring is completed and good to go up to this point.

I made a sliding door cover out of fabric, thinsulate, and magnets that works great.
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Its not pictured here, but white edging is added on now. Fits like a glove

Flarespace Extended flares and a single window are here as well! test fitting after work if it stops raining, and dropping off to paint

fridge also arrived.
CFX75DZ that will fit perfect in the cabinet/drawer situation that will occupy this area.

Trail kitchen should be here tomorrow and the build really starts. Have been waiting on it to get here in order to build the bed frame to the right size to clear everything.

tmo2460

Observer
Where did you source that fridge? I've been waiting for a US distributor to carry that new CFX75 model and I hadn't seen any yet.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Where did you source that fridge? I've been waiting for a US distributor to carry that new CFX75 model and I hadn't seen any yet.

For you i would say Main line overland. they can get it. They have a side pull slide and travel cover too. They will be shipping to me on the 16th

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Because old dominion freight sucks ******** and my kitchen isnt here to put in and start welding a bed frame, i started on cabinet work

Bent and cut out 9 (need 7, made extra in case) supports to build curved cabinets

These have a larger (about 1" more...test piece was a 9 " radius, the actual production is an 11" version)
I will be welding mount flanges, and tabs to screw the wood to.
THe bendy wood will go up until there is a vertical surface where the door will start. it will all make sense in about 2 weeks when i get back to them. I was just not trying to waste time tonight and actually get something done.

And for credit given. Idea was stolen from Zen Vanz
IMG_5573.jpg

Wyuna

Observer
I knew i'd seen that design before, don't skimp on the tabs for connecting the bendy ply.

I'd be looking at using a straight piece of timber to hold it dead flat with Clamps while screwing it together, or you will end up with slight waviness in the bendy ply, plus it will stop clamp marks in whatever veneer you use.

I noticed with Zen Vanz, that a few of the curved ply pieces appear to come out further than the steel, care is needed to ensure that there is a small recess (1mm behind the steel radius)) to hide the ply edge and get a uniform finish. (basically tabs further back, if you are going to do it the same as Vanz)

but i'm picky, as i'm a Cabinetmaker by trade

I've been enjoying the build, i'm almost at the end of my VW transporter T6 camper build and already looking at a Sprinter or the new Crafter

Cheers,

Bryn

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I’m actually spanning the back of the 1” tube with 3” flatstock so there is plenty of structure to hold it and it will actually be recessed about 1/4” from the edges so nothing pokes out. All aluminum will be getting a brushed finish as well

Wyuna

Observer
I'm actually spanning the back of the 1” tube with 3” flatstock so there is plenty of structure to hold it and it will actually be recessed about 1/4” from the edges so nothing pokes out. All aluminum will be getting a brushed finish as well

That'll look good that way, and the bonus is heaps of support.

The aluminium will look great with a brush finish, looking forwards to seeing the finished product.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So the key item to start building the rest of the van came in.
The trail kitchens Sprinter Kitchen super magnificent model
https://trailkitchens.com/collections/portable-camp-kitchens/products/campervan-kitchen-unit
I did get a custom model kinda.
I requested NO plumbing or water system and NO electrics/fittings/switches of any kind, and this is the first one they did in traditional aluminum like the normal trail kitchen stuff is. This is literally the third product of theirs that I have owned. They are amazingly compact useful and strong. I had the medium size trail kitchen, and once i got the four wheel camper, sold it and bought the compact size to fit better. I love the ability to hot swap between cooking in the camper and cooking outside without carrying extra stuff and have so much prep and work space built in. I am quite happy with the companies quality and consistent amazing customer service.
Sprinter Progress by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

I also managed to get the rails built and temp installed. have to drill holes, pull them off, insert rivnuts and then put them back in.
clamped the first to the table

laid out the hole pattern

drilled and used the complete one as a template for the other. Work smarter not harder!
tek screwed it in.

More to come this week! Lots of work to do.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
More progress!
Sprinter by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Bed is 100% drilled and bolted in. Just needs a skin of 1/2" ply and good to go. Flares should be done tomorrow, I will install sunday most likely.
200AH battery will be here friday, along with a 1500watt inverter to go ahead and wire all this fun stuff up. The fridge slide should be shipping tomorrow i think, then i can build that whole cabinet situation.

Zero idea how I am finishing under the bed, or where im putting a water tank just yet. Maybe between the wheel wells?
blue sea panel installed on the trail kitchens unit
overall layout so far

plenty of space still to take out the kitchen for outdoor use
bed is perfect height to extend perfectly flat into the flarespace side flares!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles