2017 4x4 144" SprincentVanGo

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Drilling giant holes in the frame of the solar modules is not a great idea - may cause loss of warranty and would certainly reduce the strength. Seems like other options would work? Other than that nice install.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
You must be new to the whole fabrication thing

A few one inch holes, with angle a few inches away, and a bolt hole right near them is negligible. strength wise. Drilling into the aluminum substructure at such a small area wont do anything to the area. Wont affect the panel at all. Doesn't affect the panel at all.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
did some more wiring. Water pump is triggered by switch in front and rear for ease of use.

water tank shroud is installed. Cut the first wood panel, started raining. So I'll finish that up today along with (hopefully if my slide comes in) the front cabinet construction

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Grant- I saw this intermediate door stop for Sprinters in another thread. Thought it might be something you'd be interested in. (no affiliation, I'm going to order one for my van) http://www.nortonfab.com/?product=sprinter-van-door-stop

Rev-3-door-track-roller-in-door-stop.png

Love the pics of your van at the beach. :sombrero:

gmtech

Observer
sweet do the flares come with the interior trim? headliner but side liner haha or did you make that

Wyuna

Observer
Are you going to replace the vinyl planks, i noticed that they are lifting in the photos, the rear is quite bad.

You might be better of relaying a full piece of lino/vinyl?

im enjoying the thread :)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have tried vinyl planks myself, and had similar results. They just have to much thermal expansion for a van application I think. Some 3M90 contact cement or similar will keep them down though, learned that one the hard way.

sackettmw

I like the layout so far. Flexible, functional, open space. Working on something similar in my Savana. Just wondering if you are planning on building anything in on the drivers side or just strapping the fridge down?

edit. Just went back and saw your sketch for cabinets. Can't wait to see it.

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I have tried vinyl planks myself, and had similar results. They just have to much thermal expansion for a van application I think. Some 3M90 contact cement or similar will keep them down though, learned that one the hard way.

I think it's the opposite. You have to let the material move around (shrink and expand) as much as it needs to. I used it and loved it but made the mistake of stapling of few of the edges just a little bit. I think it was a mistake. Still one of the most convenient materials. Easy to install and clean while looking pretty classy!

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Ok. Lets get yall up to speed

Took a day or two to build the cabinet for the fridge and soon to be closet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUa-2rXgtEA

Had to figure out a way to mount up the fridge to the enclosure and save as much space as possible.
I ended up using 3/4" Aluminum block, some socket head m6 bolts. Transferred the pattern from the handle to make the mount holes, used an endmill to counterbore so its all flush, then used the slides to make a pattern for the actual mounting, drilled and tapped them.
This let me make the cabinet as compact as possible, and keep everything nice and close to the fridge so it doesn't stress it. Can't mess up my precious ice cream holder!

From there I Bent up some rear pieces on the roll bender to fit the contours of the van
A little bit of welding and it gets us a solid base
A little more welding and a burnt phone screen later, we have the carcas
Far from done, but done enough to hold the cooler in while we go camping this past weekend! First weekend out. Can't be happier with the performance of this beast in the softest sugar sand known to man
Spent the weekend in Ocala National Forest, went to good ol Juniper Springs and even found a patch!
Ocala national forest by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Also. bumpers came in this morning, so there is that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLUM12Qfs0