2017 4x4 144" SprincentVanGo

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So big moves for little people

Bumpers!

Aluminess bumpers front and rear.
I will say this. They are the best packaged, safe and sound bumpers I have ever bought. I like the instructions (about 85-90% complete) and the fitment was really spot on. Have about 2.5 hours into it, and maybe a few more into the rear end of it to go. Front end fits perfect with zero issues. Rear end fits well, but wish it was an actual bumper instead of an add on, but i get why it isnt.

Overall, 10/10 would spend an arm and a leg again.

bumpers by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Ok. Catching up for a while!
Fully Finished installing the bumpers. Overall a pretty easy task
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Still working on the big lights for the front.

The next step was to make a required flag pole mount (Everything i camp with has one)
Used 2x2 angle 6061 aluminum and a scrap piece of tube with a small disk i made for the bottom. Welded it all together
Used Rivnuts to attach to the upright on the bumper swingout with some stainless 1/4-20 x 1" Stainless button head screws

The flagpole i use is this one:
http://amzn.to/2GXR08E
It is now 2 years old, and still great. Its a little gritty from sand, but works fantastic even in huge winds.

Installed a cool switch system i found on amazon here:
http://amzn.to/2oER5qV
Use it to power all the lights on the exterior and the air compressor.
My bumper came with sensor cutouts for some reason, so i put in rock lights in the holes
Installed my ARB compressor
to power these airhorns:
http://amzn.to/2oMW0FD
With this tank to hold the air
http://amzn.to/2FMO5Qw
Which i mounted on the stock spare tire carrier (ill insert a pic when i get a chance to grab one)
And an air chuck in the rear bumper so I can fill up tires, and use a nail gun lol

Next step is to take a few glam shots
Night beach Sprinter by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Then i had to pull a brodozer out of the beach
Worked like a champ, then he decided he wanted to go forward, and let someone else mess with that, an hour later he was out lol. Idiots. And they still had to go backwards.

Finishing up the frame on the cabinet
I really can weld, I promise. I'm just super lazy and don't care. See!
Then i started to skin it so i can paint!

and the painting!
I started by using a roller, but i suck at it, so i broke out the airless sprayer and did it quickly. Moved them into the garage to dry overnight, and I will do the other sides when it warms up!

Can't make it out well, but its a light grey to balance the Dark woods and trim on the inside.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
All is coming together!
Using a countertop from ikea, i threw that on put it all in the truck and started building more.

I garffed up on the drawer, it isn't quite square as i was in a rush, so i get to remake it. Won't slide all the way back and lock into the quiet slides. Go figure on my part.
But, I am overall very happy with the fit and finish of the unit. Everything seems to be within an 1/8 or so of an inch measurement wise which is good enough for me.
I mounted the espar heater controls, 12v and usb ports on the side behind the driver. Cabinet doors installed with positive retainers to keep the door closed
also got some new goodies to keep me powered. Small power box to run the camera and slide for long night time lapses. (or day for that matter). My Fuji just eats batteries and it screws up the flow if i have to stop and change it and hope i reposition it correctly. Outdoor Tech makes some awesome gear. Also a larger speaker for the van that wont roll around like the UE boom does.

Got a land use map from Best Maps ever (https://bestmapsever.com/collection...nps-usfs-blm-fws-interagency-map-24x36-poster)
Put cork on the back, trimmed it and hung it!
Now I can try and keep up with everywhere we go. I care less about the states and more about the cool stuff in the states

if some of you remember I was working on a curved cabinet. Finished up the frame and actually got it all the way done, but I was not happy with the space tradeoff. Not enough storage and reach in room to keep the bend. So I threw it away and went square

overall happy with it for sure!

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Lots more done!
Main cabinet is pretty much all done. Have to paint it and add some handles and she is pretty much done. Well, I also have to make some shelves in it.

The last big package came in finally as well. A Warn Zeon 10S Platinum. Wireless life is the life

You do have to relocate the solenoid using the LONG relocation kit in order to have it far enough back to reach the main battery. So make sure you are aware of that. It is required to relocate the solenoid for the Zeon Platinums due to clearance.

Also installed hte fork mount in the rear so that i can throw the bike in and not take up as much space!

Made up some tshirts that i ended up selling without even planning to lol

And friday night was the first family (wife and two big dogs) trip out to the drive in theater about an hour and a half away, then some lake side camping in Ocala National forest that night
Sprinter 4x4 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
the puppers did very well!

And some glamour shots

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Not a huge amount of work, mainly because its paint that i have left to do and some wood trim, but it has been raining on every day that i could do it!

BUT I did get some stuff done.
I wanted a storage shelf under the bed to carry the things i always have in the van
2-3 tripods, Video Slider, Flagpole and flags, area light on tripod.
To do this, i used some 1" square tube welded up into a U with some flanges and just used rivnuts to bolt it to the bottom of the bed.
Used some clamps to approximate location and mount the board using some self drilling stainless screws
Final location allowed perfect placement for the bike with no room to spare!
still need to make a rear stop (hit the brakes and everything slid out lol)
then went out and broke in the new 300.00 Bikes direct bicycle!
Had a great time out at the trails with the guy who bought my outback I built (to the left of me)

Also ran into the El Kapitan Van at the Lowes the other day.

Coming up?
Still need some bumper lights
CTEK charger to get some DC to DC going to take care of the hot water demands.
Paint the rest of the cabinets
Finish wood trim
Narrow the bed frame (front to back about 4")
Curtain for the storage area to separate it from the main compartment (have it sewn, just need to mount it)

I decided against making a second cabinet above the bed. I think there is plenty of storage between the vertical cabinet, overhead cabinet on the driver side and drawer, as well as the area the trail kitchens takes up has storage also.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Soooooooo, actually made the decision to sell this one, build another one with a differnet floor plan and style. 150lbs of dogs need a queen bed. Easier to do a quick rebuild than strip everything out, redo the wood (holes from mounting things) and then rebuild it all how I want.
Will be available at expo west

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles