Howlingmoon RTT parts ***Update***

So one of the stupid little plastic ball sockets for the tent extension broke off today. Anyone know if anyone stocks these or where to get a replacement? I have an email into Sierra Expeditions, but figured I'd as here also.

25353734_1943288875938669_4550538092900533078_n.jpg

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I still haven't broken one of the balls yet, but I have broken a couple of the sockets.

Seems like a good 3D printer project for some one with the skills and machine.

I got a hold of Howlingmoon a few weeks ago. The guy said they have been having a problem with these and had re-designed them. He said the factory was closed for the summer and they would return the 8th and he would ship me out a few. I found a company in So Cal that makes a billet aluminum replacement kit for both sides, but the $250 cost made me chose to wait it out for the parts from South Africa.

Well big props to Howlingmoon. I know they have gotten a bad wrap around here lately, but they came through big time for me. They sent me a bunch of spare parts to fix my support bar for free. This arrived in the mail today. They acknowledged they had a design problem, and sent me out the parts to fix it and have 2 spares.

27867911_1968534853414071_4556819454694270671_n.jpg

rehammer81

Plastic pieces? Thought Howling Moon was supposed to be one of the gold standard South African tents? Honest question, what are the real quality improvements on Howling Moon tents compared to tents like 23zero, Treeline, HIT, CVT? Been looking at the HIT tents and they have the heavier canvas, honeycomb and alloy base, 3" mattress, and no plastic parts on those main pivot connections. It's really hard to see the "better" quality and they really do a poor job of highlighting those qualities.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
Plastic pieces? Thought Howling Moon was supposed to be one of the gold standard South African tents? Honest question, what are the real quality improvements on Howling Moon tents compared to tents like 23zero, Treeline, HIT, CVT? Been looking at the HIT tents and they have the heavier canvas, honeycomb and alloy base, 3" mattress, and no plastic parts on those main pivot connections. It's really hard to see the "better" quality and they really do a poor job of highlighting those qualities.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think those are for the tent extension bar. Given how that bar installs using all metal would be difficult. The one on my tent uses some plastic but is a male/female pipe design. That one looks much easier to pop into place. Sometime plastic is the better choice. I think if you saw how that bar installs you would agree that is a pretty good design.

cmoney

Regarding your original post, which part of yours broke? Was it the socket or the ball? I'm confused as to what the black pieces are for? I have a HM stargazer and love it but like others a little concern about the durability of the ball and socket connection. Thanks in advance!

v8turbo

I got a hold of Howlingmoon a few weeks ago. The guy said they have been having a problem with these and had re-designed them. He said the factory was closed for the summer and they would return the 8th and he would ship me out a few. I found a company in So Cal that makes a billet aluminum replacement kit for both sides, but the $250 cost made me chose to wait it out for the parts from South Africa.

Who in SoCal sells those? I would be interested in that.

Regarding your original post, which part of yours broke? Was it the socket or the ball? I'm confused as to what the black pieces are for? I have a HM stargazer and love it but like others a little concern about the durability of the ball and socket connection. Thanks in advance!

The ball broke off. Email Howlingmoon, and I'm sure they will send you the new parts for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles