What are your Overland equipment must haves?

MrWesson

Adventurer
Food and a place to sleep :)

I like overlanding stuff but have only slept in the truck a handful of times.

I just spend alot of time in the woods exploring and come home to my bed afterwards or to a hotel because wife.

rgallant

Adventurer
In the Pacific NW - Canada side here so my needs would be different but

I would not bother with the chainsaw, unless the area's you travel typically have a lot of blown down trees. A good hand saw will do for the small stuff.

I will second having a back comms system, you may never need it but if you do it could be critical.

A route plan left with someone is a good idea even if it is a bit vague. Things go south it is just the nature of the world, if someone has to search for you a reasonable start point is important.

Good up to date maps /navigation aids

I keep spare belts, hoses and some fluids.

Beyond that I have 5 days of freeze dried food, water, matches candles etc that never gets touched - it sits in it's own case an is ignored. That is the just in case every goes side ways and I am stuck kit.

A good 1st aid kit and know how to use it.

I carry a hi-lift, but I also do not have a winch. Although I have not used for my own vehicle I have used it to help other folks out, mostly lifting tires out big deep holes.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Keep the replies coming fellas, it's nice to see how many of you are what I would consider a minimalist, it's definitely helping me to reevaluate my needs and keep my load down. I am a former medic in the Army so I always have a full medical kit on hand, that much I have covered probably better than most.

I agree on the comment about leaving the chainsaw at home however, I will probably try to plan a winter trip somewhere just so that I have an excuse to use it haha.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The bow saw/large Svensaw (folds) takes care of moderate timber/firewood (8" diameter is do-able, although it takes some maneuvering). I have found I can normally climb over downed trees up to about 24" (in diameter In the Jeep, less in the Explorer), once they are limbed with the saw.
IMO, if an official complains that I am helping to maintain/clear the road I will gladly let them deal with it; if they can do so with out delaying me too much...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

brandonstuu

Up here in the PNW always bring extra socks... a whole change of clothes that you never plan to use, warmer than you think you'll need stored in a water proof location can save a life.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A headlamp.
Good God, that is excellent advice. A fella can't have enough flashlights. At any moment I probably have 3 or 4 around, a 4D Maglite under my seat, cheap-o headlamps stashed here and there, the Petzl or DB ones I pack, etc. For all the lists of recovery gear I think "essential" boils down to a flashlight, pocket knife, bailing wire, duct tape, water, good boots and gloves. You can mix and match hardware, spare parts and tools but as long as you have the core gear you'll be able to adapt what you have to what you need to do.

Stryder106

Explorer
InReach. It isn't needed until it's NEEDED. Text requires much lower bandwidth and signal strength than voice so it's much more effective than a SatPhone. Recently needed in a dire situation - I was the only one with an InReach, one guy had a SatPhone. I was able to get EMS on site while he was still trying to call for help. It proved it's worth in a life/death situation - mine goes with me on every trip.

Smileyshaun

Observer
water ,food ,shelter ( will very greatly on where you live and travel ) , simple hand tools and knowledge on basic repairs to your vehicle,zip ties and duct tape , a spare or a way to repair a tire , asense of adventure . In the lower 48 your never that far away from civilization just leave a plan of where your heading with at least 2 people and go explore . don't over think this whole exploring thing .

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Map, tools, fuses, good tires, well maintained vehicle, wife/GF/dog, first aid kit, sense of adventure, talent drving off road and knowing when to stop and turn around.

rnArmy

Adventurer
You want to be comfortable. A comfortable folding chair (not a cheapie $5.00 Walmart chair), comfortable bedding (I like to be off the ground). Shade.

And good food.

Last edited:

lchavez

Observer
Shovel: i have used the heck out of the Glock shovel

Solar lights: I have some motion lights and stick on my vehicle when camping. Buddy just uses those inexpensive landscape lights that you can pick up for a $1 each. Just helps light up camp at night.

Hammer: why look for a rock when a hammer will do.

Baby wipes: enough said.

Tarp: all kinds of uses.

Bungees: another all kinds of uses item.

Luggable Loo: worth it’s weight in gold. Plus i use it to store my refillable 1 lb propane bottles during transportation.

Refillable 1 lb Propane Bottles: if you need them, they save a ton of money in a very short time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles