What are your Overland equipment must haves?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm beginning to amass all of the essential gear in which I believe I need in my rig for overlanding adventures. I've got the big items down like a winch kit (recovery straps, shackles, etc.), battery jumper, Maxtrax, fuel and water containers, air gauge/airdown tools, air compressor/OBA, and storage containers, cook stove and cutlery/utensils. I've considered bringing along my 20" bar chainsaw should we be in a wooded area along with an axe and shovel, but I am not yet convinced that they are essentials 100% of the time.

So where should I look next or what do you use/recommend as essentials?

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Get a Killer Battery, I run a Northstar AGM. Never needed a jump even in the negatives. Left the stereo on far too long, lights etc. and always come back to a started engine. I've had it for a couple years and still holding stong.

Other than that, recovery gear is a must, and that is dependent on your environment. I just received my Deadman offroad anchor, great for snow and sand alike, makes a good strap too.

Fridge/cooler packed full of good food and good beer! :)

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I plot and think on all the stuff I need, and after every trip I could write you a list long as my arm of things I brought and didn't use.

If you feel good about having the bases covered, get out there and figure out what you forgot, and more importantly, what you have that you don't need.

It's stupid, and you might already have one, but something I do use every. single. trip. plus just makes good sense for SHTF issues, A headlamp. Not even an expensive one, just one you can see by. Everyone always remembers a normal flashlight, but when you are working on something, making a repair, or setting up camp, you need both hands, AND the ability to see.

justrom

Adventurer
Where are you planning to go? For how long? You've got 90% of the stuff that you need - pack up your gear, fill up with food and fuel, and go explore.

Commo - If you're going out of cell coverage consider getting an inReach satellite communications device. Great for keeping family/friends informed on your trip, coordinating meet-ups, and getting help in an emergency.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Where are you planning to go? For how long? You've got 90% of the stuff that you need - pack up your gear, fill up with food and fuel, and go explore.

Commo - If you're going out of cell coverage consider getting an inReach satellite communications device. Great for keeping family/friends informed on your trip, coordinating meet-ups, and getting help in an emergency.

Most trips will be in Texas this year, out west to Marfa and Big Bend, down to the Padre Island National Seashore, once out to Moab for a RZR event, but never really out so far that I would be completely out of contact or far enough away from civilization that I would be screwed w/o a backup comms option. That said, I have looked into a locater like a Spot or an Epirb or sat messenger handheld; I ran across a great video/writeup about the differences down to the types of satellite systems the different options operate on, but I can't find it anymore, I want to say it was done by the main editor or owner of one of the major outdoor rags or sites. I'd definitely like to buy something just for peace of mind and for my neurotic other half haha, we have an Epirb on the offshore boat for that very reason. Any insight here?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You can always rent a Sat phone. Last off road trip with a group there was a SAT phone.
Most of the PAC Cup boats have the SAT Phone these days also. Costs have come down its comparable to the Eperb in cost.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I just keep the essentials in the vehicles;
Frame mounted tow points (10,000 lb. 2 ea.) front and rear.
Aggressive Mud tires,
Matching spare tire with an adequate jack (NOT a Hi-lift)
Mechanical tools, including a DVM and list of vehicle error codes.
A high pressure fuel injection pump.
snatch strap and 2 shackles (if winch equipped; tree strap, snatch block and log chain in addition)
Jumper cables
a Svensaw (large)
A mini pick mattock or matt-ax
a USGI (NOT Chinese) trifold e-tool... only if wheeling in bumper deep snow; a full sized spade and sand shovel...
An axle u-joint (Spicer if possible)
A driveshaft u-joint (Spicer if possible)
A portable air compressor,
A first aid kit capable of treating significant injuries (NOT an ouch kit)
Extra tubeless tire valve stems (and cores)
A tire plug kit with extra tire plugs
Toilet paper in a waterproof container.
Never yet needed "traction" boards.
Gave up carrying the hi-lift after not needing it for 10 or 15 years...
Haven't needed a winch, for myself, in more than 10 years so the newer vehicles don't have them
all vehicles have at least one selectable locker
... I drive moderate to difficult, not extreme trails.

'prolly forgot some stuff... (edit; like the fire extinguisher and long runtime water resistant LED flashlight)
Enjoy!

Last edited:

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Curious why you dont recommend the hi-lift ^? With a good set of sturdy sliders on your rig, you can jack up your vehicle easily and also use it in a variety of other purposes such as pulling, winching, seperating objects, etc.

Reasoning? Did you just not use it because you didn't know its variety of uses, or not come upon any scenarios where it was necessary?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Curious why you dont recommend the hi-lift ^? With a good set of sturdy sliders on your rig, you can jack up your vehicle easily and also use it in a variety of other purposes such as pulling, winching, seperating objects, etc.

Reasoning? Did you just not use it because you didn't know its variety of uses, or not come upon any scenarios where it was necessary?

In my experience it is unnecessary for me, carry one if you wish;
Noobs, typically view them as a badge that says "I have a 4wd".. really the only reason that I have one in the garage, its a leftover.
Less experienced moderately equipped drivers normally have a winch eliminating, pretty much, any need to try to use a railroad/hi-lift jack for pulling.
After the vehicle is properly set up and the driver well experienced the use of a winch on one's self become rare to nonexistent.
Adequate line selection will let a fair driver drop the frame (instead of the vehicle rocker or more important parts) onto rocks and driving technique, adequate tire size with gearing, and lockers will prevent hang ups.
Good aggressive mud tires will help prevent getting bogged down, a winch, or snatch strap and another vehicle, will remedy high center stucks.
Hi-lifts can be very hazardous for lifting vehicles (a bottle jack is much better though still not "Safe") this tendency to fall over can occasionally be useful to move a vehicle sideways but this can be done better, IMO, with a winch, a tree and a snatch block (assuming the driver manages some how to get the vehicle in that position).
Tires With adequate "floatation" will prevent soft sand stucks... I notice a relatively recent trend towards vertical tire side walls which will lower flotation/increase the tendency to get bogged on newer vehicles (there is a reason for bulgy tires).
(note "Internal server error is restricting me to half a post)

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
(second half)
I have seen situations where some less than extreme vehicles on extreme trails have tried using them to attempt make up for trying to get a vehicle to do more than it is designed to do... but then I restrict myself to merely difficult trails (since I hate fixing body damage (vehicle and human)).
Since I have never needed one myself near 35 years of experience off road on very difficult to semi extreme trails; experience says that the weight & space can be used for better things.
About the only things I have found high lift jacks useful for is to break tire beads loose from rims when manually dismounting tires, pulling fence posts and tightening fence... although I did use one along with a 4x4 to push the rear sheet metal back into place on one junk Jeep that I drove out of a scrap yard.
I am not saying "don't carry one" or "they are bad"; use what is necessary for you /what you want. I am saying that I, personally, don't need one (as demonstrated by mamma Widows nest on mine in the corner).
To help folks gage how I like to wheel; one of my favorite trails is Pritchett Canyon in Moab UT. (run from the river end toward the highway south? of town)... difficult, but fun and challenging

Enjoy!

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer

I hate the idea of everyone knowing where I am. Or being too prepared. It's supposed to be an adventure right?

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Aside from all of the basic items for cooking, sleeping, recovery, navigation, first-aid, etc., the one thing that I always pack is a whistle with a compass on it. Maybe it's a fear from watching 127 Hours, but regardless it's just one of the things that I always make sure to have.

That and a lot of extra beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles