Extended trips with accident prone boys

W0lfpack91

Myself and my boyfriend are planning an extended 2 month trip with our two boys to the pacific north west over summer to kind of gauge their needs while outfitting our two rigs (also we just need a damn vacation away from scociety). We will be borrowing my BF's fathers 80 series LC. Now the boys are 5 and 8, will be 6 and 8 by the trip, both boys wet the bed and my son (5) is still struggling with staying dry during the day away from home. My BF Son (8) has ADHD and OCD, when he is tuned into something he has accidents or if a public toilet is not his standards of clean he wont use it and will hold it untill we either get home or the eventual accident occurs, this is a major thorn in our sides and we have been trying diffrent things to help break him of this but hes as stubborn as his father.

For the length of trip we already assumed we were going to have to pack a much larger amount of the Pullups both boys wear at night as they will likely end up in them at certian points during the day more frequently as well. Our issue is with disposal, on shorter weekend trips they maybe go through 5-6 pullups max easily stored and packed back out however on a two month trip in areas where we may not be able to dispose for a few days and their assumed higer usage of the pullups we are stumped on how to safely, sanitarily, and comfortably pack and dispose of the larger quantities of the soiled pullups.

We are trying to avoid odors in the vehicle as well as not just leaving them or burning them out on the road. (which is their normal fate at home along with the other burable trash)

normally this wouldn't be too big of an issue in our own vehicles but since we are actually borrowing someone else's and we will be down to one rig not two, the situation has been plauging our planning process

Have any other parents run into this or have a solution?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ok so first off this hands down is the best bang for the Buck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...ds=potette&dpPl=1&dpID=51YAK6sJIbL&ref=plSrch

My daughter and son have spent many moments on the side of the road reading a book and admiring the view while taking care of buisness. Even had a CHP officer pull into the pull out that we umm quickly dove into when the “I need to go” comment was made. I was standing around behind the Subaru while my daughter sat in the hatch area um reading a book. I’ve never seen a officer go from high alert to nearly redfaced embarrased so fast. Ha ha

In camp we left it set up under the corner of our tent trailer.

Only use pull ups at night to avoid wet bedding. Accidents happen kids learn quick that wet / poopy pants umm stink. A giant box of costco wipes is a life saver!

My daughter was a complete nightmare potty training but one week long road trip she was cured. Its amazing how interested kids become in communicating a potty stop. Its magical nothing brings the car to a stop faster than “I need to gooo”! Make it fun, get way clear of tge road and dont rush it! Dont get angry or upset both boys will be potty pros during the trip!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thought 1: Would a small personal toilet for the OCD kid work? That way he knows it his toilet and he can keep it clean and not OCD about it. Just a thought.

Thought 2: Buy a trasharoo or have a box or bag on the roof for used pullups.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Invest in a box of bandaids and first aid kit. Our rules to avoid injuries that often require stitches. No jumping off rocks and such while hiking kids want to jump off everything. They are short and its crazy how a stick can reach their face when they land on the end of it. Err yes my brother did this not 5minutes into a backpackingbtrip at age 5. He has a small scar on his chin.

The youngest will always creep ahead of the oldest while throwing rocks into a lake etc, yup my brother has a scar on the back of his head from ummm yeah a rock he stepped infront of.

Dirt wont hurt anything and fully expect both to be coated in it the moment you pull into camp.

A bucket and a rubbermade dish tub make decent bath tubs. Loads of books, toy cars, toy tractors, dump trucks go a long way to self entertainment items. We found a combo pack sand toy kit yrs ago that still gets lots of use in camp.
Sorta like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=beach+toys+for+kids

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Last big tip. Kids that age do not stay in sleeping bags. Warm pjs and a sleep sack is king keeping little kids warm and also some what immobile at night. Extra warm blankets you can throw over them is nice to have on cold nights also. My go to back up are our thick/heavy costco beach towels, I always keep a couple dry of course near bed to toss over a kid that might be a little chilled.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
High quality kitchen garbage bags are tough. Dump the trash every time you see a can.

The potette bags I had several times even in our old LC J80 I simply shut the loose end of the tied closed potty bag in the tailgate with the bag sitting on the bumper. Easly covered 100miles paved with no umm littering the road issues.

rcharrette

Adventurer
I have 2 boys ages 3 and 12 and I certainly understand what your going through. My oldest would happily sit around with a load in his pants all day if we let him when younger! I guess my question is realistically how long are you going to be away from civilization (ie, gas station, market, etc). I would guess 3 to 5 days max and you'll need something. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think you could store 5 days of diapers, burn most other trash and dump it at fuel stops, etc. Get the contractor grade garbage bags and just toss it on the roof and bungie it down. I worked for a MTB guide company and that's what we did. Our groover was a seat over a home depot bucket lined with a contractor grade back. We put that on the roof of the van and drove 70mph on the hwy to the next stop. Never had a "bag failure" :)

vartz04

Adventurer
Man I feel lucky with my son and his potty training. Maybe 1 accident a month and he is almost 3. Accidents always happen during the day when he is in super focused play mode.

If you have the room just put a diaper genie in the back somewhere. You can get them at 2nd had stores cheap.

Last edited:

W0lfpack91

Ok so first off this hands down is the best bang for the Buck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...ds=potette&dpPl=1&dpID=51YAK6sJIbL&ref=plSrch

My daughter and son have spent many moments on the side of the road reading a book and admiring the view while taking care of buisness. Even had a CHP officer pull into the pull out that we umm quickly dove into when the “I need to go” comment was made. I was standing around behind the Subaru while my daughter sat in the hatch area um reading a book. I’ve never seen a officer go from high alert to nearly redfaced embarrased so fast. Ha ha

In camp we left it set up under the corner of our tent trailer.

Only use pull ups at night to avoid wet bedding. Accidents happen kids learn quick that wet / poopy pants umm stink. A giant box of costco wipes is a life saver!

My daughter was a complete nightmare potty training but one week long road trip she was cured. Its amazing how interested kids become in communicating a potty stop. Its magical nothing brings the car to a stop faster than “I need to gooo”! Make it fun, get way clear of tge road and dont rush it! Dont get angry or upset both boys will be potty pros during the trip!

Invest in a box of bandaids and first aid kit. Our rules to avoid injuries that often require stitches. No jumping off rocks and such while hiking kids want to jump off everything. They are short and its crazy how a stick can reach their face when they land on the end of it. Err yes my brother did this not 5minutes into a backpackingbtrip at age 5. He has a small scar on his chin.

The youngest will always creep ahead of the oldest while throwing rocks into a lake etc, yup my brother has a scar on the back of his head from ummm yeah a rock he stepped infront of.

Dirt wont hurt anything and fully expect both to be coated in it the moment you pull into camp.

A bucket and a rubbermade dish tub make decent bath tubs. Loads of books, toy cars, toy tractors, dump trucks go a long way to self entertainment items. We found a combo pack sand toy kit yrs ago that still gets lots of use in camp.
Sorta like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=beach+toys+for+kids

Last big tip. Kids that age do not stay in sleeping bags. Warm pjs and a sleep sack is king keeping little kids warm and also some what immobile at night. Extra warm blankets you can throw over them is nice to have on cold nights also. My go to back up are our thick/heavy costco beach towels, I always keep a couple dry of course near bed to toss over a kid that might be a little chilled.

High quality kitchen garbage bags are tough. Dump the trash every time you see a can.

The potette bags I had several times even in our old LC J80 I simply shut the loose end of the tied closed potty bag in the tailgate with the bag sitting on the bumper. Easly covered 100miles paved with no umm littering the road issues.

Sorry For Condensing the reply's trying too keep my thought process in line while responding to multiple people. LOL The Idea of a Portable Potty has crossed our minds several times, Pull-ups and diapers have been the Universal Fall Back for us since until just this October my son had been 100% reliant on diapers for all his potty needs. His lack of Training was due to his mothers neglect and the KY Family courts reluctance to grant custody of a Male Child to a Gay Father.

Back On topic though First Aid We have Covered Probably Far more than we will Ever Need. i have Always Been More into Survivalist Prepping and Hunting i dint get into over landing much until i met the BF and his Family. as such my Standard First Aid Has everything from scratch and Cut treatment to an Emergency Trauma and even Radiation Exposure Meds. Realistically i probably Need to Cut Several Items from that kit to make it more manageable. my BF is Also a Former US Army Combat Medic so we are good there.

it will Be Interesting to see How the boys react to one another out of their elements for extended time as they are not Brothers and in fact have no relation to one another we each brought a child from a previous relationship. we are hoping they take more to bonding as family than just the "boyfriends kid". sleeping Arrangements this go around will be all four of us together in the large Rooftop tent so movement not too much a concern mostly just Making sure their Night Protection is up to Par so we dont have any leaks.

On to the Main Event so to speak, regular kitchen bags have been a concern for Pull-up storage as one of our goals is as little pavement as possible which means narrow trails possibly overgrown in areas means its likely to Catch and Rip without our Knowledge, i've seen even the highest Quality Nylon fail at the abuse of a tree Limb. we have discussed bags in Rubbermaid containers but again the idea of so many wet and Potentially Soiled Pull-ups in one Container For longer than a few Hours at a time runs the risk of Built up odors and Higher levels of Unwanted Pests. regular trash is not a concern as we have several means to pack that out the biggie for us was the Bio-Hazard of large quantities of Products Filled with human Waste being Packed for long periods of time.

I have 2 boys ages 3 and 12 and I certainly understand what your going through. My oldest would happily sit around with a load in his pants all day if we let him when younger! I guess my question is realistically how long are you going to be away from civilization (ie, gas station, market, etc). I would guess 3 to 5 days max and you'll need something. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think you could store 5 days of diapers, burn most other trash and dump it at fuel stops, etc. Get the contractor grade garbage bags and just toss it on the roof and bungie it down. I worked for a MTB guide company and that's what we did. Our groover was a seat over a home depot bucket lined with a contractor grade back. We put that on the roof of the van and drove 70mph on the hwy to the next stop. Never had a "bag failure" :)

my 5 year old will still do that if i were to let him :( the idea is the only Civilization we will allow is refueling the Rig and the Jerrys the In laws say that if driven responsibly over Mild to upper tier moderate terrain his Fuel setup can last the Rig up to 7-9 Days depending on our Camp Length and the % of Foliage Coverage as some of the electrical has solar recharge capability further reducing idle and fuel consumption.

Man I feel lucky with my son and his potty training. Maybe 1 accident a month and he is almost 3. Accidents always happen during the day when he is in super focused play mode.

If you have the room just put a diaper genie in the back somewhere. You can get them at 2nd had stores cheap.

One a Month at less than 3 :Wow1::bowdown: we would be lucky to get through a day with less than 2-3 accidents between both boys.

the diaper genie had not come up. we keep one in each boys closet so we could hijack one from its position.

Thought 1: Would a small personal toilet for the OCD kid work? That way he knows it his toilet and he can keep it clean and not OCD about it. Just a thought.

Thought 2: Buy a trasharoo or have a box or bag on the roof for used pullups.

we have been less likely to concede to the OCD habits as we have alternately been trying more to break them or at least bend them a bit rather then appease them. however as this is a different occasion we might swing the idea, we just don't want him too attached to it that he sees an alternative to making do in a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles