opinions on building a FUSO FG from a FE

RjAtlanta

Looking for thoughts and opinions on converting a FE to FG 4x4. The FE are reasonably priced in the 2000-2006 model years but the comparable FG seems overpriced (US Market). I found a couple of FG 4x4 trucks in scrap yards and thought about acquiring the front axle and bits and maybe using a aftermarket transfer case. The scrap yard will not sell the transfer case without the transmission. Anyone done it?

Thanks,
RJ

Reactions: 515

RjAtlanta

Hi Kevin,
I assume the FUSO will have the same frame rail width problems as the Isuzu. The solution on the crawler hauler was not pretty and I would be concerned with the bending load of the brackets they created to handle the 3 inch width problem between axle and frame. I look forward to following your build.

forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160699-NPR-4wd-conversion-and-camper-build-thread?highlight=isuzu+project

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
This topic has been discussed previously, but to summarise...
You need to be mindful that the chassis on a FE is different to that of the FG, in that the FG has quite a large step down behind the gearbox.
The reason for this is to lift the cab high enough to give space for the front diff. The FG diff's pumpkin is pretty central, so without enough clearance it will hit the sump. With a different diff you might have an easier upgrade path, if the pumpkin is offset.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Hi Kevin,
I assume the FUSO will have the same frame rail width problems as the Isuzu. The solution on the crawler hauler was not pretty and I would be concerned with the bending load of the brackets they created to handle the 3 inch width problem between axle and frame. I look forward to following your build.

forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160699-NPR-4wd-conversion-and-camper-build-thread?highlight=isuzu+project

I've since redone all the leaf spring mounts. I wasn't concerned with their strength so much as they were ugly and the rear mounts were welded to the frame. The front mounts were welded too but to the front section, separate from the main frame. Either way I redid them to add a couple inches of height, more caster and to make them look nice.

RjAtlanta

Sorry JavaJoe, I actually missed your front updates in the mix of pics for the rear suspension changes (page 14). Do you think you have enough clearance/travel between the diff and engine? Did you need to make changes to the steering? I guess I should ask this on your thread and read it more thoroughly :)

The Artisan

Adventurer
RJ,
Will know more when I get into it. Still deciding if I want to go custom leafs with my 03 supers or go to a coil with the newer axles and a custom radius arms.
Kevin

javajoe79

Fabricator
Sorry JavaJoe, I actually missed your front updates in the mix of pics for the rear suspension changes (page 14). Do you think you have enough clearance/travel between the diff and engine? Did you need to make changes to the steering? I guess I should ask this on your thread and read it more thoroughly :)
I wanted a bit more differential to engine clearance too so that was a factor in raising it some.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Have you done this yet?
Weird timing. I was actually going to do this last year, it was delayed due to covid. When I first started looking I bought f350 Super danas, and planned to go from push pull to crossover. With the new axles I decided to stay with the simple push pull and found axles that have a steer arm. Will need to have a custom arm made to work with the new location.
I am having a guy re gear my axles now. Found a custom spring builder 6" lift and working with a new 4x4 shop that is closer to me. Should be done over the winter and once complete should be able to offer full turn key conversions on fusos
Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles