RAM Rebel vs Stock 1500 or Other Vehicle?

Exeter

Greetings!

I am brand new to over-landing and excited to get started in the next six months. I currently have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 2WD. I hit some dirt farm/county roads I found from some submitted trails on Gaia GPS around my current location and quickly found I struggled and almost got stuck with a 2WD vehicle in the smallest amounts of mud from the recent rains in central Texas on the farm roads. I just don't think 2WD is the right long term investment to modify and throw money into. With that said, my wife and I are looking to get much more involved in this and have our sights set on many areas over the next few years. She is likely to get a used 4Runner in 2019 when she goes from lease to purchase. And that brings me to my vehicle choices.

Come April time (tax returns!), I am going to trade in for a 4WD vehicle. I am truly torn here. I have no interest in technical rock climbing, but I also want to be able to explore central Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, New York, Vermont, Oklahoma etc. Mountain passes, back roads, river/creek crossings, camp sites, etc. I want to be able to travel to remote locations and camp sites and see what most tourists don't get to. This vehicle will also be my daily driver so comfort and decent gas mileage is important. Price wise, I was looking at a 2015 RAM Rebel V8 for around $35k. The reason I am looking at this is that it already has a large amount of modifications on it for a reasonable price used (steel bumpers, air suspension to raise and lower vehicle +/- 3", 33" tires, skid plates). I also like having a bed available to bring the 4-wheeler or just anything I need. I would likely add a Nuthouse rack with removable top beams to allow use of the bed and adding a tent on the top. The stock RAM 1500 4WD is around $28k ballpark for the setup I like (2015 or newer, crew cab, short bed, leather and nav system with less than 50,000 miles). The 2008 and later 4Runners seem to have a few around 10k, but most quickly approach the upper 18 - 20's and I'm a bit more nervous to get a vehicle in that price range with 100k miles on it. I do not have a mechanical background and am reading and learning and having a blast doing it (just put a CAI into my truck, first small project) but unsure I have the skills if something goes wrong with an older vehicle. I'm not opposed to buying an older/cheaper vehicle, but it will need to be very reliable and comfortable as it is my daily driver too. All the 2014 SVT Raptors near me have 100k+ miles and are still $35k or more as the miles lower.

My biggest questions that I need some help with are:

• Is there any negative to having the air suspension system on the RAM? Does that have any impact for future upgrades or potential risk points for mud/water crossings?
  • Is the value of the Rebel worth the price versus buying a 4WD 1500 and modifying it from stock (upgrading suspension, tires/rims, skid plates, bumpers, etc)?
  • The Rebel appears to only have one or two very expensive bumper mods to mount a winch. Is there a better option?
  • Is there any major reason to get a 4Runner over a RAM other than approach/departure/breakover angles? I know Toyota is famous for their traction control and locker capabilities.
  • Are there any major limitations a full size pickup would have for what I want to do versus a mid-size SUV like a 4 Runner?

I know the mantra of the best vehicle is the one you have, but as I am looking to invest in 4WD, I'd love input even if it is outside of these parameters.

Thank you very much for your time and input! I really appreciate the help and guidance in making the decision. I've enjoyed reading the articles and the forums so far.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Rebel should be a good choice. You don't need any lift for 33" tires, it already has them. 295/70r17 Cooper STT Pros should fit, and that sounds like plenty of tire for your needs.

I live in the rust belt, so I keep a Highlift jack under my rear seat, winch rope, and 60' of chain in the bed of the truck. I don't mind spending an hour or 2 winch jacking the truck out of a stuck situation. I only have to do it once or twice every 5 years. Figure in the cost savings as well. $1500-3000 bumper, $1000 winch, and whatever it costs to switch to rope line. And all the weight is within the wheelbase, not on the nose outside of it, like a winch.

lowfreqgeek

I made a similar choice a few months ago. I liked the Rebel, but decided against it for a couple of reasons:

1. I wasn't really interested in all the extra creature comforts and technology that the Rebel offers. They do drive nice, but the air suspension is inherently less reliable than a conventional spring suspension, which could be a major problem off-road in the case of a failure. Everything I read said the airbags should be replaced at 50k mile intervals. I didn't want the info-tainment center and all the do-dads and gadgets (I'm an electrical engineer... go figure). We also wanted the front bench seat instead of the console.

2. The 5'7" bed was too short for my needs. I play upright bass semi-professionally and couldn't fit one in the bed of the Rebel without putting it diagonal and eating up most of the bed space.

3. I was able to get a brand new 2017 1500 Tradesman 4x4 with the 3.92 gears and the LSD rear end for $8-14k less than the used Rebels in my area, many of which were approaching the end of their 36,000mi warranty.

4. Should I so choose in the future, there are a handful of decent suspension lifts available for the spring-suspensions. My preference would be the AEV 4" lift, which is incompatible with the Rebel as far as I am aware.

I modded the suspension with Blistein 5100's front (2" lift) and rear (~$350), 1.5" rear coils from Icon Vehicle Dynamics (~$250), and IVD UCAs with Delta Joint (~$850). I also found a nearly new set of 2017 Rebel wheels and Toyo tires for $850. As an aside, the Rebel wheels have the perfect offset geometry and width for the taller tires vs. the stock 17" wheels with the shorter tires, and they are hub-centric, so no rings required. I purchased an AEV ProCal module to program the tire size and TPMS sensors (I'll step up to 34s or 35s when the 33" Toyos are done). Lastly, for my wife, I put in a set of Clazzio leather/vinyl seat covers w/front heaters.

So far, the truck is doing exactly what I needed. Since September, I've driven it from Albuquerque to Denton, TX and Colorado Springs, CO, towed our small camper with it to the Gila, had it in the mountains and on the dirt, both empty and with a full load of firewood, and it's performing exactly as intended. We haven't done any serious overlanding with it, but I'm gaining confidence in it's abilities and mine, as well as finding it's limitations. I wish I could've found the 32gal tank...

All that said, I am starting to question my choice of a 1500 over a 2500. At the time, the 1500 seemed like the right choice, but the somewhat limited payload may come back to bite me sooner than I thought. I originally intended this truck to see my kids (10 and 14) through school. We do a lot of summer camping (usually dry, so we haul a lot of water) and tow a small trailer, which is no problem for this one. However, I'm already seeing some opportunities that would require a heavier truck. In the mean time, this one has been a good learning experience, and it drives well and has gobs of room and power compared to my 2000 3dr Silverado. Mileage is also better by 2-4mpg, depending on things.

So really, it comes down to personal preference and needs. The Rebel was tempting, but it was ultimately not what I needed or wanted. The Tradesman 4x4 with a few mods is exactly what I need at the moment, but maybe won't be what I need in 2-5 years, in which case a 2500 or F250 would've been a better choice. I tend to keep my vehicles for 10-15 years or more, and I'm not sure this one will make it that long, but I do love it for now! YMMV.

20171220_132013.jpg20171220_123619.jpg

Last edited:

Wiretie

I'm running a 2012 Ram 1500 SLT as my overland vehicle/daily driver. Simply put, it's a great truck. I don't rock crawl but I have pushed it hard and driven it solo on thousands of miles of forest service roads between Georgia and Washington- up mountain passes in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Idaho winters. Never, ever had a problem of any kind.

Most of this was done while it was practically stock. Bilstein 5100 Front level, LEER cap, and BFG K02's. If you go the 1500 route, just be aware that the front bumpers are insanely low straight from the factory. Even with a level, I dragged mine driving down the backside of Imogene Pass in Colorado. The aftermarket winch bumpers on the 1500 are generally very high profile, and it was frustrating to find one that doesn't stick out a foot. Getting a good one makes a tremendous difference in front clearance.

As others have said, all the mods add up to thousands. The Rebel has everything you need straight from the factory. I feel like my truck is very capable, so I could only imagine how great the Rebel would be.

IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_3183.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg

lowfreqgeek

Thanks for that!

I found these 2017 Rebel wheels/tires with ~2500mi on Craigslist in Dallas for less than the cost of decent new 285/70r17 AT tires, which I was about to purchase anyway. My brother lives in Denton, so the seller dropped them off there and I went to Denton to see my brother and pick them up. Couldn't be happier with that decision! Keep an eye out - a deal will pop up.

DVC

I'd recommend the Rebel.

Rebels comes stock with 33" Toyo Open Country tires, a higher off-road ready front bumper with tow hooks, LSD and 3.92 rear, and I believe it's the only 1500 with the Borg Warner 44-45 4wd transfer case (as opposed to the 44-44, which is really more of a selectable AWD transfer case...not nearly as off road worthy).

It also comes stock with air ride, of course... which most people seem to really like - myself included so far. The BSD 4" lift is one option that's compatible with the air bags; AEV tell me that they're very close to releasing their 4" lift for air ride-equipped Ram 1500s...a tweaked version of their fantastic DualSport SC kit, that looks to be the perfect balance between daily driver and weekend overlander.

If down the road the air ride has problems, or you just decide to go with a suspension option that's not compatible with it, you can always remove the bags and install whatever you'd like.

Riley

Observer
Been researching the transfer case issue my self recently.

What I have found is the Rebel, Tradesman, and surprisingly the Express are all 44-45's in the 1500 line.

Some good deals to be had these days....

DVC

Been researching the transfer case issue my self recently.

What I have found is the Rebel, Tradesman, and surprisingly the Express are all 44-45's in the 1500 line.

Good catch...I was wondering if some of the entry level spec models had it too.

Last edited:

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
4. Should I so choose in the future, there are a handful of decent suspension lifts available for the spring-suspensions. My preference would be the AEV 4" lift, which is incompatible with the Rebel as far as I am aware.

Our SEMA Recruit was a Rebel! We have 2 Rebels outfitted with our suspension and one has been getting extensive miles put on. We can do it here at our building however we are still in the development phase so we are only doing it for company vehicles. We hope to have it ready in kit for sooner rather than later. This is the same process we did for our 3" Ram HD DualSport system. We first released it for non-air trucks and then made it available in kit form after as some modifications need to be done.

sema rebel.jpg

lowfreqgeek

Our SEMA Recruit was a Rebel! We have 2 Rebels outfitted with our suspension and one has been getting extensive miles put on. We can do it here at our building however we are still in the development phase so we are only doing it for company vehicles. We hope to have it ready in kit for sooner rather than later. This is the same process we did for our 3" Ram HD DualSport system. We first released it for non-air trucks and then made it available in kit form after as some modifications need to be done.

View attachment 429941

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Well, here’s some happy news for you if you’re buying the NEWEST Ram 1500:

Ram 1500 Is Only Full-Size Pickup to Be Rated IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus

The 2019 Ram 1500 earns the only Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ rating for a full-size pickup, an enviable result. It bears noting that the Ram was just as safe months before, when IIHS smashed the truck six ways to Sunday and gave it top marks. Structurally, unlike the crash-test disparities between extended and crew-cab versions of the first redesigned Ford F-150 models, all Ram trims scored the top Good ratings in all six crash tests. Call it a technicality, but it's strictly the improved LED headlights that helped the newer new Ram 1500 stand alone among full-size pickups with the Top Safety Pick+ award.”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz