Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium - in-car charging

goexplore.ae

I’m aware that the Lithium Yeti’s cannot be charged using the 12v cigarette lighter outputs in the car, but wondered if they can be charged while driving using the 110v car output.

I have a 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J150) which has the two pin 110/220v output that I use to charge camera batteries when driving, but also wondered if I could use it to keep the Yeti topped up, then plug my fridge in to the 12v output of the Yeti?

I’m planning on adding a solar array when docked up for a few days camping in the region.

Thanks,

DB

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Give it a try . or as per Goal Zero

THERE ARE 3 WAYS TO CHARGE YOUR GOAL ZERO YETI 400:
The Sun
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can be charged by connecting a compatible solar panel (see the chart below for solar compatibility).

Wall
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can be charged by being plugged into a regular wall outlet.

Car
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can also be charged by plugging into your car 12V adapter.

goexplore.ae

Give it a try . or as per Goal Zero

THERE ARE 3 WAYS TO CHARGE YOUR GOAL ZERO YETI 400:
The Sun
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can be charged by connecting a compatible solar panel (see the chart below for solar compatibility).

Wall
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can be charged by being plugged into a regular wall outlet.

Car
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 can also be charged by plugging into your car 12V adapter.

This is only applicable to the ‘older' non-lithium Yeti. The newer Lithium battery powered Yeti is not compatible with 12v car chargers, but wondered if anyone knew the specs of the 110/220v charging system in the Toyota J150 (Prado/LX460).

goexplore.ae

Yes you can do this. i do that all of the time with my 2014 4runner

Is that with the Lithium Yeti or the older/heavier version? Specifically charging using the 110/220v output rather than the 12v, as that’s non compatible with the Lithium?

Thanks,

Fallon 40

Observer
THERE ARE 2 WAYS TO CHARGE YOUR GOAL ZERO YETI 400 LITHIUM:
The Sun
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium can be charged by connecting a compatible solar panel.
If you are a standard or light user and use about 30-40% of the power per day we recommend 1 Boulder 50 Solar Panel. If you are a heavy user using all the power in one day, we recommend using 3 Boulder 50 Solar Panels to recharge.

Wall
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium can be recharged from a regular wall outlet in about 7 hours. You can charge your Yeti with solar panels, and a wall charger at the same time.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHARGE YOUR YETI LITHIUM FROM A 12V SOURCE. Doing so may cause damage to the unit.

KYC

Adventurer
You should call them and ask someone over there.

I think it might be possible even though it states otherwise on their website.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I was thinking the voltage just isn't high enough for lithium and a DC-DC charger would make it too expensive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KYC

Adventurer
Yeah I think it is for safety reasons. I think I read a Q&A on their site with the same question and the response from the company was to call them. I think they are willing to educate? Not sure.

goexplore.ae

Yeah I think it is for safety reasons. I think I read a Q&A on their site with the same question and the response from the company was to call them. I think they are willing to educate? Not sure.

I was thinking the voltage just isn't high enough for lithium and a DC-DC charger would make it too expensive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Its definitely “possible”. But not something a shadetree should be pissing around with.
I suspect their reasoning to otherwise forbid is related to potential of nearly unlimited current available from a car battery and bypassing of current limiting BMS of the Yeti. Lithiums are dangerous.

Thanks guys. These are the kind of answers I wanted. Not too easy to call the GoalZero factory when you live on the other side of the world to them.

Think I'll stick with the albeit heavier non-lithium.

equalme

Seems like you all are overcomplicating things. The inverter outlet on the Prado will outputs 115v/100w, voltage wise, it is the same as plugging into your home outlet. The Yeti lithium only draws about 52w at the home plug with PWM, if you upgrade to MPPT then it will draw up to 75w at the home plug. There is no way that you are exceeding the limits of the built-in inverter in the Prado.

Stephan07

Seems like you all are overcomplicating things. The inverter outlet on the Prado will outputs 115v/100w, voltage wise, it is the same as plugging into your home outlet. The Yeti lithium only draws about 52w at the home plug with PWM, if you upgrade to MPPT then it will draw up to 75w at the home plug. There is no way that you are exceeding the limits of the built-in inverter in the Prado.

Thinking I'm gonna build my own lithium, dual battery....Will update.

bjornb

I looked at the 400Li manual and it says:
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Goal Zero Yeti Lithium is not compatible recharging from a 12V
source, it can result in damage to the unit, cable, as well as your vehicle.

It doesnt make much sense to me, the Yeti has a input port that accepts 14-30V DC 10A/120W. As long as the supply (car, solar panel, wall charger etc) supplies DC in this range it should be fine.
When looking at the Q&A section on the 400Li product they say in the oldest questions that charging for 12V may work, but is not recommended and charging may be inconsistent. In the most recent questions they say you should wait for a dedicated 12V charging cable to be launched soon.
I think the problem is that many cars output about 14V when running (usually a bit above to the battery), but since there may be voltage drop to the 12V socket it is so close minimum voltage for the Yeti it does not perform well.
If you put a DC-DC converter in between that consistently provide 16V (or 24V or something else within the acceptable range) I think it will work fine. I am guessing that it GZ is working on such a solution right now.

They actually used to have such a product:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131124235303/http:/www.goalzero.com/p/39/8-0mm-12v-car-charger

I bought one a few years ago.

I hooked it up with some meters, and as you can see it increase the voltage to 15V to make charging works well.
2018-02-09 02.55.10 (Custom).jpg

(I am not a 400Li owner, but I own the Sherpa 100, and the older 400 with AGM which I have converted to Lithium with a large LiFePo4 pack, I call it the Yeti 700LFP :) ).

Gabex35

Adventurer
Is that with the Lithium Yeti or the older/heavier version? Specifically charging using the 110/220v output rather than the 12v, as that’s non compatible with the Lithium?

Thanks,

I have charged both a lithium yeti 400 and 1000 with my 4runners 110 outlet with success at the Standard 8mm plug on both. I have the MPPT accessory on my 1000 and it will not work (pulls too much maybe?) when plugged in to the 8mm on the MPPT controller and I start driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles