Brompton Folding Bicycles

gvb1940

That seems like the best one for me. I'm going to skip the Camping World brands and find one of these. There seems to be quite a following, they are good for tall guys and mods are endless. Used value/price is near new. Let me know if you come across any.
I have a Bike Friday Llama with dual drive hub 27 speeds for sale $ 850.
Made in Eugene Or. Check it out at bikefriday.com

gvb1940

I have a Bike Friday Llama for sale $850 dual drive hub 27 speeds carry it in the back seat of my Ram 3500 crew cab XPCamper V1
which is also for sale on this website.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
No kick stand is no problem.

image.jpg

This is the preferred way to park one. Easy as holding a lever and lifting the bike. The rear end flops right under. The dog took me out once. Going over the bars is as easy as stepping off a BMX bike and the gloves saved me. This is the easiest bike I've ever ridden. So far so good!

image.jpeg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I've got a few miles on it now. Hitting soft dirt or running off the asphalt is basically like doing it on a road bike. Not real fun but it can be done. Hard trails are easier than a road bike because it's extreamly nimble due to the wheel size. Your not locked in and jumping off is a breeze. On the other hand....The small wheels have little gyroscopic effect at speed. Flying down a grade does not give that planted weight feeling a larger tire gives. All things you get used to between the smiles. Only the rear has suspension and it works well but you gotta watch anything over about 4" with the small front tire so going a little slower is welcome. Here it is folded next to the ARB fridge.

image.jpg

On the ride at the stadium I had a transaxle out of a VW bus, tools and the dog in the back of the Blazer so
I threw the bike on the front seat. It really seems tiny after wrestling full size and even BMX bikes all my life.

image.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Theft recovery!

image.jpg

I got to looking over the Brompton I bought. It was the tippy top of the line titanium Brompton plus it had all sorts of expensive mods. It was not just a rich kids bike. It was a loved and well sorted machine so I got the local Brompton dealer involved. STOLEN! I knew it. Nobody pawns a near $5000 bike. The owner met me at the shop I bought it from and they claimed innocent. Cops called, yelling and screaming and what a nightmare. None of this was pleasant but I got my money and he got his loved Brompton that he toured parts of Europe on. The bike was very nice. I enjoyed every minute of owning and riding it. Loosing the most trick bike I've ever owned is sad. Getting to return it rightful owner was priceless. Bye bye Brompton. You will be missed.

image.jpg

GlennA

Adventurer
Sorry to hear it was stolen. Thanks for doing the right thing. Hopefully another that piques your interest comes along.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Wife's early Valentine's Day present. Slightly used 2015 model. Girl colored bikes always seem to be in good condition. These bikes are really fun in conditions below 20 mph. Perfect on walking paths. sidewalks and neighborhoods. She loves it and so did these guys.

image.jpg

image.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Nice! One down, one to go.

Finding this bike so quickly must have been due to the good karma from returning the previous bike to its rightful owner.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Nice! One down, one to go.

Finding this bike so quickly must have been due to the good karma from returning the previous bike to its rightful owner.

The guy I bought it from knew the owner of the stolen bike. He threw a Brompton bag for checking it in on flights. He threw in a hole box of extra Brompton stuff and tire so that was nice. I'm really liking this bike. It's never in the way. My mt bike gets moved in the shop constantly. It falls over and is on the floor as we speak. Loading it in the SUV or van is a nightmare after owning a Brompton. Best of all I got my wife riding again. Her full suspension trek is awsome and she can hold her own on the trails but we are in our 50's now so bad crashes are not an option. The road bike is on Craig's list under Dura Ace if anybody wants it or since you live in a nice hood and may have paved trails then come borrow it and see what it's like to ride a modern light road bike for a while. It was awesome on the hundreds of miles of paved trails in Colorado. I even climbed Vail pass on it. Going down....OMG! The Bromton is low and slow. Handles like a dream and is way more fun in tight slow areas. You can jump on and off of it really easy. If I go to Walmart and feel like cruising the area it's perfect. The road bike and mt need to stretch out. It's an event to get ready, ride and those stupid shoes with the pedal clips are not needed. I ride it more. Basically it brings all the fun back into riding a bike. I'll have a second Brompton real soon!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought two Dahon Mariner bikes off Craigslist. These are the corrosion resistant versions marketed to the yacht crowd for cruising around marinas and to the store. These are the older 5 speed 20" tired bikes. Taiwan made and a little rickety compared to our real bikes but for $100 each we should get a few smiles out of them.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
Funny, I was just wondering who brought little folders with them on their journeys. I've had my Brompton (M6L) since 2011. I'd wanted something well designed that would fit in the trunk of a car, back of my LX, or in the van without issue and rode well. Brompton was the hands down winner of everything I was able to see. I replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17 and the grips with Ergons and the bike has been just great. The little basket bag that clips on the front post holds 20 liters and I can use it as is or toss in my daypack.

The whole ebike thing doesn't appeal to me yet as I can still ride at 68.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Brompton came out with a limited edition expedition bike. It has a few goodies like a spare parts kit with spokes and a pack for gear. The pack on the front mounts to the front of the frame so it does not move with the steering. They claim thats the best place to add weight on the bike. It’s called the Brompton Explore.
I ride my Brompton every morning. It’s nimble and fun. With the small wheels it takes a little more concentration but I learned to really like it.

35568A0D-E72A-4F04-B581-28592019F906.jpegC451393A-DADD-4BDC-AB93-1A064E33EC0B.png
A68BE13D-20E5-4821-B745-7A005B78F109.jpeg

Weeds

Adventurer
I think the tires are too small and too narrow. There are a lot of e-bikes with 20 x 4" wheels and tires. They will weight more. I have a RadMini folding bike. You can ride in on about any terrain. I can lift it into my Grand Cherokee.

CSG

Explorer
Brompton came out with a limited edition expedition bike. It has a few goodies like a spare parts kit with spokes and a pack for gear. The pack on the front mounts to the front of the frame so it does not move with the steering. They claim thats the best place to add weight on the bike. It’s called the Brompton Explore.
I ride my Brompton every morning. It’s nimble and fun. With the small wheels it takes a little more concentration but I learned to really like it.

View attachment 536826View attachment 536825
View attachment 536824
Just got the email about this the other day. I don't even want to guess the cost. Great look though (well, for a Brompton, anyway). ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles