Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding Bicycles

Default Folding Bicycles

Has anybody ever ridden one of the little 20' folding bikes? They make them from $129 up to $5000 carbon fiber ones. Thought it might be nice to have on light excursions when I don't want to haul a full size bike. Any experiance with them or are they a joke?
    Arizona

Only a little bit of personal experience. I've never owned one, but have tried some. Just like a normal bike, you can get a cheap one or a nice one and you more or less get what you pay for.
    The one's that I like most (and most expensive) out of the ones that I have tried are the Brompton bikes. The others were cheaper brands that didn't fold as small or ride as well.

The Ebike stuff is hitting the folding bikes right now. If your thinking transportation at camp etc you might like the ebike options. Pricy as heck though.

I rembered reading a review on another site:

http://www.exploringoverland.com/ove...ng?rq=Bicycles

If you’re not familiar with Mr. Hanson, he’s a poster here on expo forum and the organizer of overland expo event.
    He is incredibly experienced and does not tolerate lousy gear well.
    Last edited by jgaz; 12-20-2017 at 08:43 PM.

regardless of the brand or cost, please consider "the ride" with a small diameter wheel. dips & pits in the road which a larger wheel will roll right over become a major hurdle for a 16"er.

the first contractor who had the courage to hire me (1970) was a private plane pilot. he and his wife had two folders that went into the Piper and when they got to the end of their flight, out came the bikes for a toodle on the tarmac - and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin Suave View Post
    Lots of skins to that "onion". First off what are your parameters for a bike (Not that I know squat about bikes). Do you want to bring it on a commercial flight into Santiago Chile, and ride to Patagonia... Or fly in on your Gulfstream to "John Wayne" and pedal for burgers to the Balboa pier at Ruby's, OR visit the RADS down in Laguna on any Wednesday night for a "refresher course" in recovering from "compression sickness"!

My suggestion is that you define what your riding style & travel style is... Then you develop your hardware around it
    Sage advice and pretty much what Iíd say as an avid cyclist that logs over 400 hours each year while working a full time job.

Since you asked about the bike, Iím guessing you wouldnít call yourself a cyclist?

While Iíve seen plenty folding bikes and have read many vigorous defenses in their favor, compromises others mentioned about small wheel diameter keep me away. I just had a bike built with S&S couplers so that I can fit it into a suitcase and avoid overweight or oversized bag fees when flying. That is less of a ride performance compromise compared to finding, but more expensive and way more cumbersome to break down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest S&S too, my friends had their Litespeeds done and love them. I will say when I was checking my bike into Ironman USA in 2001 a guy behind me had a Bike Friday, I thought it was a joke, but they tagged it and he rode the 112 mile leg on it. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/road-sport/
    Jay

www.jaycapers.com
    02 DC Tacoma with a Flippac and other stuff
    93 FZJ80 - stock but dual lockers and less than 200k miles

74 FJ40, 91 Hilux, 98 4Runner, 98 Rav4, 02 Conqueror Compact Trailer - All Sold

Default Rad Mini

Check out the Rad Mini. It is an e-bike. I have 300 miles on mine with 100 miles off pavement. No problems and rides great, perfect for an old timer.
    2008 Rubicon JKU, OME, TNT Front, Rockhard rear, 33" Duratracs, MBRP Rock Rails, Warn 9.5 ti, Trek Armor Seat Covers.
    2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel, ORAII.

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin Suave View Post
    Lots of skins to that "onion". First off what are your parameters for a bike

My suggestion is that you define what your riding style & travel style is... Then you develop your hardware around it
    I'm collecting gear to do the inside passage and the American Great Loop. Those are boat trips and I'm going to do it in a smaller than adverage cruiser. Once at marinas or port towns I may need to ride into town for provitions, dentist or just to see the area. I'd like a back up to Uber or avoid using them. Hauling light provitions or worst case a 20L MFC or engine starter on my back. Some bring full size bikes but can also carry large yaught tenders. I'm just finishing a resto on a 1968 Evinrude 3hp to go on a 7-8' dingy yacht tender because that's all I'll have room for. A folding bike in it will get me all the way into town from a morning boey or anchor. I'm 6'2 and can ride but not sure if it's worth my effort to haul one over walking, Uber or hitchhiking if they are a useless toy.
    Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast