Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brompton Folding Bicycles

Check out Bromptons.
    https://www.nycewheels.com/folding-b...xoCqpYQAvD_BwE

Probably one of the best made and people have toured extensively with them. They fold up into one of the smallest packages -- we carry two in the back of our Tacoma access cab and there is plenty of room left for other gear.

https://dahon.com/bikes/cadenza-d27-3/
    http://usa.dahon.com/bikes/espresso-d21-3/
    Dahon makes a couple of folders with 26" wheels and are of decent quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    ready for an expodition
    2005 Nismo Frontier 4x4 CC
    KG5VFD

Quote Originally Posted by kmacafee View Post
    Check out Bromptons.
    https://www.nycewheels.com/folding-b...xoCqpYQAvD_BwE

Probably one of the best made and people have toured extensively with them. They fold up into one of the smallest packages -- we carry two in the back of our Tacoma access cab and there is plenty of room left for other gear.
    That seems like the best one for me. I'm going to skip the Camping World brands and find one of these. There seems to be quite a following, they are good for tall guys and mods are endless. Used value/price is near new. Let me know if you come across any.
    Arizona

A Brompton popped up today on eBay for 854.95 It was listed all wrong but was at a local pawn shop so I decided check it out. 2016 year model 6 speed Titanium with extra titanium bits like clamps and such. They "say" the titanium fork and rear triangle saves two pounds but more importantly adds springy bump absorbtion. IDK much about titanium bike parts? It has a Son Dynamo hub, lights and a rear rack with bigger wheels for rolling it while folded. Upgrades are in frame tool kit, removable pedals, seat and the extra titanium bits. I guess the removable pedals make it fold smaller or as an anti theft devise???
    So far so good. Everthing works and it's super easy to ride. Glad to own it! Wheelies like crazy until you come down on the tiny 16" wheel. Pics are from eBay. The paint is called raw lacquer. It just a clear coat to show the nifty bronze hand welds on the frame. What do you think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Arizona

Looks good! You found that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpalump View Post
    That seems like the best one for me. I'm going to skip the Camping World brands and find one of these. There seems to be quite a following, they are good for tall guys and mods are endless. Used value/price is near new. Let me know if you come across any.
    I have a Bike Friday Llama with dual drive hub 27 speeds for sale $ 850.
    Made in Eugene Or. Check it out at bikefriday.com

I have a Bike Friday Llama for sale $850 dual drive hub 27 speeds carry it in the back seat of my Ram 3500 crew cab XPCamper V1
    which is also for sale on this website.

No kick stand is no problem.

image.jpg

This is the preferred way to park one. Easy as holding a lever and lifting the bike. The rear end flops right under. The dog took me out once. Going over the bars is as easy as stepping off a BMX bike and the gloves saved me. This is the easiest bike I've ever ridden. So far so good!

image.jpeg
    Arizona

I've got a few miles on it now. Hitting soft dirt or running off the asphalt is basically like doing it on a road bike. Not real fun but it can be done. Hard trails are easier than a road bike because it's extreamly nimble due to the wheel size. Your not locked in and jumping off is a breeze. On the other hand....The small wheels have little gyroscopic effect at speed. Flying down a grade does not give that planted weight feeling a larger tire gives. All things you get used to between the smiles. Only the rear has suspension and it works well but you gotta watch anything over about 4" with the small front tire so going a little slower is welcome. Here it is folded next to the ARB fridge.

image.jpg

On the ride at the stadium I had a transaxle out of a VW bus, tools and the dog in the back of the Blazer so
    I threw the bike on the front seat. It really seems tiny after wrestling full size and even BMX bikes all my life.

image.jpg
    Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Weeds View Post
    Check out the Rad Mini. It is an e-bike. I have 300 miles on mine with 100 miles off pavement. No problems and rides great, perfect for an old timer.
    +1 on the rad mini... I have 2 of them, under my bed in my e350... for my wife and I, great great bikes... I punish them on trails and on the street and they work great... the new ones have front suspension and 20% more battery than the original ones like I have..... the fat tires go a long way to make up for the limited 20” diameter tires... I have hit some serious pot holes and trail holes, and it took it all in stride...
    Last edited by Davidl13; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12