GMRS repeaters?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So apparently the new FCC rules allow for GMRS repeaters.
Are there any such animals? Is there an index anywhere?
Next question would be: Who operates them? Reason I ask is because I know there are lots of ham repeaters that are put up by amateur radio clubs. Some are "open" for the use of all licensed hams and some are "closed" and can only be used by club members or with the club's permission.
I can understand in theory that GMRS repeaters can exist, but I'm wondering what might motivate someone to spend the considerable sum of money, not only to acquire the equipment, but then to emplace it, come up with some kind of power source and service it. I mean, it might not be expensive, but the cost wouldn't be zero, either.
A club would have dues-paying members to help foot the bill, so I'm scratching my head and trying to figure out who might foot the bill for a GMRS repeater.
I guess a private business that uses a repeater solely for their own business comms, might, but then wouldn't they likely make it a "closed" repeater that is only accessible to their own people? Or can you even do that with GMRS like you can with amateur radio?

Ray_G

Explorer
We are looking at a GMRS repeater, either part time or full time, for the offroad park in my sig line.

The owner has his license, as do I, and given the expanse of property he'd like coverage into the LOS dead spots. Note: this isn't really for the conduct of park business (as GMRS really isn't for that), rather it speaks to the desire to be able to talk in mountainous terrain as we run around and do personal stuff.

As you note, it could get expensive, so we're looking at some 'repeater in a box' homebuilt solutions that we deploy temporarily and such.
r-
Ray

gary in ohio

Explorer
GMRS rules have always allowed repeaters, nothing new about that. many gmrs repeaters are pay to use. In fact some are pay or dont use systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700