Thread: Lifting a slide in camper to improve clearance and departure angles

Default Lifting a slide in camper to improve clearance and departure angles

I recently purchased a 8' camper and have it in a 6.5' bed. Has anyone tried to raise their camper with a few 4x4's to gain a few inches of clearance with the overhang at the tailgate? Would it be worth it? Or would it just look like crap? I don't think it would effect the CG that much as it is a softside pop up and most of the weight is already pretty low.

Thoughts?

Many people build a lift to accommodate just what your asking. Some people have even created a drawer under the camper- Its a double bonus- Clearance and an awesome storage spot
    Next chapter in the adventure of life...
    Stick and Brick people for now.

http://www.365camper.com/fulltimervliving/

www.365camper.com Our wanderings and adventures...

It is done quite often but usually to gain clearance for cab over or truck bed side due to mounting a camper that was not built to fit the truck it is being mounted on. It may or may not look like crap. I had a Power Wagon with a 6.5' bed and a 8' popup camper and never had a clearance issue but I wasn't doing super crazy stuff either. Once was on a dirt road that crossed a dry wash that had a 18+" straight drop from a recent flood and was able to clear it with a few inches to spare before the rear of the camper would have drug on the ground.
    2016 Ram Tradesman 3500 4X4 Regular cab/chassis with 6.4L Hemi, Aisin 6 speed tranny, manual shift transfer case, 4.44 axle ratio. Adventure Trailer custom built aluminum flatbed. Murman custom built underbed storage boxes. Wilco swing out tire carrier.

2017 Bundutec custom built flatbed popup campy.

I like the storage idea!

This thread is full of amazing ideas!

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...hlight=skamper
    Next chapter in the adventure of life...
    Stick and Brick people for now.

http://www.365camper.com/fulltimervliving/

www.365camper.com Our wanderings and adventures...

My Northstar came with a 2" perimeter frame with joists to gain a dab of clearance for my Ram.
    The Ford Superduty's require the same subframe to clear the tall cab with the Northstar popups.
    2007 Dodge 2500 Regcab 4wd 5.9 CTD. G-56 , TC800 Northstar popup 24/7. Suspension mutt. Kore,Thuren & Carli. Anarchy EFI Live.

Unless you enclose the entire platform I would be concerned about dirt ad debris building up underneath it which would attract bugs and rodents, I would want to fully support the camper rather than just cribbing in a few spots which would put a lot of stress on the camper as the truck bounces. I think a better solution would be to put airbags on the suspension and lift at as needed for clearance.