newb problems

Anarchy Joe

Observer
Gents :

I'm in the process of trying to plan out an 12 volt system for my trailer, i would like to know from some of the electric gurus

1. what products are you running? what works, what dose not.

2. what would you have done different?

3. anyone have some simple schematics they can share?

4. basic any pics advice or other things they would like to share.

I'm not running a huge system, just lights in the rtt, camp lights, charging for phones,computers,etc etc, and a fridge.

at some time I would like to incorpate a solar panel in the mix down the road.

So any and every advice is greatly appreciated...

A -Joe

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Victron, Bogart Engineering, or Morningstar charge controller/battery monitor. U.S. Battery or Crown Battery for FLA type if you can source them locally. Have the ability to have an extension cord for your solar panels so you can deploy on the ground around your area unless you only camp in the desert. Parking in the sun sucks. For cost effective use two golf cart batteries in series with 200 or so watts of solar... will have lots of capacity for your use and be able to support you during bad/no sun days without worry. Maintain your batteries with a temperature compensated maintenance charger while not in active use. If you have money burning a hole look into Lithium Batteries, but not "12v replacement" types.

Anarchy Joe

Observer
thanks ajmaudio:

Been reading everything I can about power systems i can, but I really value the perspective of the peps in the field using the products,

that is where you get honest info and not a sales pitch.

thanks again

Anarchy Joe

Observer
Not yet, but i'm sure when this all starts to make sense I will. I just really like to hear what people put into their set ups,

what works and what does not. Not everyone can buy high budget set ups so if I can learn from other peoples builds

it saves the pains of buying something and not really working , plus I get to see some ideas on how I want my set up to do/look like.

thanks

A.Joe

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Read a lot of different build threads before you dive into anything.
Tacozord's Tacoma has always been my favorite when it comes to 12v modifications.

You can see some of his work starting here:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/boden-build-2015-dclb-4x4.362640/page-3

From my personal experience:

* Plan ahead as much as possible. Wire management, labeling, connectors, tools, ect...

* Set aside a large block of time, or brake it into stages. There is nothing worse than trying to quickly finish an electrical project. It can get sloppy very quickly.

* Draw a wiring diagram in Paint or something.

* Don't attempt a project unless you can do it safely and correctly.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I understand you want batteries in the trailer, but how do you want to get 12v into the trailer? (Ya know, to charge the battery bank?)

If you have enough restate on the roof, strongly consider solar power first. This would make the trailer a stand alone unit, not dependent on anything to supply power.

shifty98

Observer
I too am interested in specific products that people are using. I am looking to build a very simple system, just powering a water pump and some lights.

Anarchy Joe

Observer
Bbasso:

Solar is in the future,when time and funds allow it,the renergy line looks great and a lot of builds seem to be using them.

also a shore connection to pre charge from home before I head out.

ikk

Adventurer
well here is a couple of questions:

what type of load are you looking at pulling? are you going to be lighting up your campsite with it, or just charging the phone and laptop, or something else? camping dose not usually require a large load. You may be able to get away with a 35amp hour battery and a 50 to 100 watt solar panel.

what is your budget: alot of people can give you advise as to what they have, and provide you with info on expensive stuff out of your budget.

will this be a portable unit or something hardwired in your tailer?

Anarchy Joe

Observer
Camp lights { 2} for when lighting is needed,but most time we have a fire and head lamps going.charging is a bigger concern then lighting
the camp site,i will more than likely keep the system mounted in the trailer so it has a steady mount to it. budget is what ever is left over after paying bills
at the end of the month.

Jojo29er

Observer
I feel your pain, the electric side of a trailer build can get crazy expensive.

Right now I'm leaning torwards getting a bigger battery than I need and not wasting money upfront on solar. I'll probably go with a 125amp gel battery.

As for charging i bought a noco off amazon for $90, i plan on keeping it topped off before i head out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JSHQW0/ref=twister_B0185ZYJUS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

After some quick figuring I'll probably draw about 10amp/day with lights, pump, phones, accessories . If you have fridge you'll need to figure what it'll draw on top of that.

Im leaning towards this monitor:

www.equipt1.com/item/single-battery-monitor-recessed-mount

Blue Seas fuse box:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...rd_wg=PrdbG&psc=1&refRID=RK0R80X1ZH53ZRHVRSDW

And on/off switch. Bout as reasonable as i can find. I'm no expert by any means but all these products come with great reviews. I'll have all the power i need for 5 days out without the worry of solar or any expensive split alternator charging system. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94